Fun with Flowers and Thrift Finds

Hello my friends, I did something this week that
I have never done before.
 
I visited 6 thrift shops in two days.  Wow, not that's a whole lot of treasure seeking fun!
 
After unloading my haul and cleaning it up I decided to have a little 'flower fun'.
 
 
(for the sifter I simply stuck a small piece of wettened floral foam inside and pushed the stems in)
 
Using a $5 bunch of flowers from the grocery market and adding cuttings from my garden I played with some of my fun finds.
 
I know that many of you are like me and love having flowers in your home.  Flowers in a vase are always pretty, but flowers in unusual containers are fun, fun, fun!
 
 
(I just stuck the stems inside, but if you wanted it to last you could place a small jar of water inside)
 
It was instant love when I spied this old sewing basket.  The decal is simply precious!
 
 
I must have been having a mello yellow kind of week, because I found a lot of sweet yellow items.
I didn't do anything with the batter bowl, but it could easily be filled with flowers.  It's not vintage, but too cute to pass up!
 

An aqua melamine sugar bowl filled with blooms.
Now wouldn't that be a delight to wake up to in the morning? 

 
I love the design on this sugar dispenser, (at least I think that's what it is).  Almost looks like it came from the 'Pioneer Woman' line.
 
 
A couple of simple blossoms is all it needed.
 
 
 

 
I grouped the sifter and sugar dispenser together on my farmhouse kitchen table
in the basement
 
Flowers help bring a room together,
don't you agree?
 
 
  Afterwards I realized that the yellow sifter has the exact same design as one of my red ones.  That's okay,
Ilove them both!
 
 
 
I had the plaid thermos, but I found the fire king casseroles and the yellow jello mold.
It could be turned over and filled with water and flowers as well.
 
 
Red striped pitcher, again not old;
but love, love, love!
 

 
How fun is this big eyed owl?  His eyes and beak were bright blue and UGLY!  But I repainted them and now he's too cute!

 
A couple of zinnias gives him a tufted
hair do.
 
Last of all, I placed a couple of qt. bottles inside my $2 rain boots and added flowers.
Certainly an eye catcher as you enter into our bedroom!
 
 
 
I hope I have given you some fun ideas of different and unusual containers to use for floral arrangements.
 

 Whether you gather flowers from your garden, buy them from a florist or grocers, or purchase them online, check out
 a Bloom Nation for their great
 flower delivery services..
 
Having once owned my own business I love how a Bloom Nation helps out small businesses!
 
Bringing flowers into your home will give it a warm and cozy feeling.
 
For wonderful inspiration as to how to use flowers in your home décor visit
 
or for more unusual container ideas take a look at my Let's Make Arrangements board.
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 
 

40 comments

Sarah said...

Fun finds, Jann. Always love a flower theme, but your plaid thermos is the best. Love those colors for fall!

Kim said...

Wow oh wow, Jann, you happened upon a gold mine! Love all those pretty containers spilling out with floralicious delight! Love the yellow sifter and the old sewing basket....be still my beating heart! And....that sweet old owl, how wise he looks with his tufted 'hair'. Me thinks a house is not home unless there is a pretty 'vase' of flowers dotted throughout here and there.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

WOW, wonderful treasures. All of the flower arrangements look terrific in your unusual pieces.

Have a great weekend Jann.
Hugs,
Mary

quakerhillfarm said...

Very pretty Jann! Love the colors! Enjoy your trip, Lynn

quakerhillfarm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Wow Jan, you got your moneys worth out of that bouquet right? How fun, and fun finds too!
Gina

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Lots of beautiful finds...I love the look of the boots filled with flowers!

Sandi Magle said...

Oh Gosh, Jann, how much fun is that. Great designing in all those cute containers...love the boots. The only ones I have are the big ugly brownblack ones...Thanks for the inspirations...Sandi

NanaDiana said...

You sure did find some GREAT thing,s Jann!!! WOW!!! I love those old sifters and also that red and white pitcher really caught my eye. I love it when things just pop in front of you. xo Diana

Geneva said...

Great ideas! I especially like the rain boots. Love all your thrift store finds! xo

Joy Junktion said...

You found yourself lots of great treasures and shared some fun ideas. I always love visiting! Have a super weekend ahead! Blessings, Cindy

Nina Lewis said...

I love the yellow batter bowl and the red striped pitcher the best!! You make decorating look so easy. And your thrift store finds are fun, fun, fun! I wish I had your luck at finding great things and at decorating. Sigh . . .

Sustainable Furniture said...

Great! I love the look of the boots filled with flowers! Great designing in all those cute containers. You did a great job!

Cherie said...

I love how you have arranged those flowers. Would you believe it never occured to me to line a wellington boot with a plastic bottle. I shall try that one and stand thenm in my porch.

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

Wonderful array of arrangement. The one in the grater is my favorite
Lots of blessings
Sandra

Cynthia said...

Super treasures my friend. Sorry about being MIA

Cindy

Cheryl said...

Love love love your finds, great job and great containers!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love this post! Great ideas! I passed on doing a post for Bloom Nation because I am allergic to most flowers so I don't use them around my home!

Unknown said...

You make me laugh, six thrift stores in two day???? But, like I've said before, these treasures always find a special spot in your home. I'm with you, my friend, it's always so refreshing to add fresh flowers to the inside of your home.

Art and Sand said...

Your sifter is just precious.

Rose L said...

that cute little owl would be adored by a friend of mine! I have seen the rubber shoes nailed to a fence on one blog and used as planters!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Hi Jann, you are such a girl after my own heart! Can I come shopping at your house?! Great kinds! Your flower arrangements are beautiful. I'm sure you are getting ready for your fun trip. Enjoy! Loves, Jo

CD Loken said...

Oh my goodness, Jann! You found so many wonderful treasures! I sure wish I could go thrifting with you! That owl is just adorable-and I love how you decorated all of your priceless finds with lovely flowers!!

lynn cockrell said...

Who wouldn't be cheerful to see all those bright and colorful flowers in the sweet vintage looking containers? I really enjoyed this sweet post, Jann!

Picnic Benches said...

Wonderful finds! Love the colors! Enjoy your trip.

Pat said...

Jann,
Lovely preview of your Thrifty finds with a showing of flora!!!
I have a red batter bowl, similar to your yellow one,
purchased years ago that is my go~to~bowl for meal preparations!!!
Loved seeing the decals on the sewing basket!!!
I can remember the days when my Mother~in~law would spend
an entire afternoon placing decals on her glass storage jars!!!
It made her happy. . . and I adored how she loved taking care of her home on the Family Farm!!!
Thank you for the gentle reminder to look beyond the utilitarian use of objects and to find the beauty in all things!!!
Rubber boots for $2 . . .amazing!!!
Fondly,
Pat

cynthia lee designs said...

Great finds!! Love the owl...so vintage and cute!! Have a great trip!!
hugs,
Cindy

Tea in the Library said...

Lovely treasures, The owl looks great. I'm sure he appreciated the make over. Love the batter bowl in yellow - I have it in a burgundy color. Lots of fun stuff and you are so right about flowers. One of my great pleasures in cutting flowers from my own yard. I am trying to choose plants that I will be able to cut from as we work on the landscaping. Happy day to you my friend.

Blogoratti said...

What great and lovely finds. Greetings to you!

Oliva Ohlson said...

First of all I love how you displayed/arranged your flowers in unconventional ways (for me that is)!!!! You absolutely had a yellow mellow 2-day hunting spree...I love everything you found!!!! Have a great weekend!!!

large dining tables said...

Love those colors for fall! Wonderful finds! I really enjoyed this sweet post. Thanks for sharing!

poppilinnstudios said...

Hi Jann, You are so creative. What cute ideas! I love fresh flowers around the house :)

GranthamLynn said...

Beautiful and Fallish. The Fabulous Fall party linky just opened come over and link all your Fall posts! Do you mind if I link the party at your party?
I love your boots.
XXOO

Winnie said...

Great finds Jann :) I wish I could go with you one day to see how you pick everything :)
I love the yellow and red mugs. We're facing Fall, but they remind me of Spring :)

Pamela Gordon said...

I love all your flower vessels. They look so sweet with little bouquets in them. I sometimes buy fresh flowers depending on the season, but usually in the winter when we are so tired of snow and cold here. Thanks for sharing these decorating ideas with us.

Mustlovehome said...

Hello Jann, You always have the best projects!!!I love your "thrift store" finds!! Thank you for sharing at the Friday Favorites Link Party! Please join us again to share what you have been working on this week. Hugs - Christine at Must Love Home

mjmaterazo said...

wow! i love your thrift finds. the sewing basket is fabulous! and i also love your thermos (the colors are unique). it's so fun to play, isn't it? xo- maryjo
https://maryjomaterazo.typepad.com

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, you had me at "flowers & thrift store finds!"--two of my VERY favorite things! I love your creative floral vignettes. Thank you so much for sharing them at Vintage Charm!

cornwall wedding photography said...

So so soo gorgeous!!

Photographers in Hyderabad said...

Its Been Amazing to see such great Articles!!

Instagram