My Alpine Home

Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Past

The link party for the 6th is at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia featuring mantels.

This year I decorated my mantel and hearth with some vintage items. Because of that I have chosen the title, Christmas Past.

IMG_4521

I use this window often on my mantel.  It is just the perfect size.  I modge podged a newspaper scallop onto the back side.

IMG_4526

There are four pieces of mercury glass to tie in with my tree.

IMG_4522

I found this wonderful vintage plate with a clipping of an old building at Star Mill two years ago. It is all dressed up with a paper ruffle, tinsel, and a tart tin rosette.

IMG_4523

I love vintage postcards. These two are being held by small silvery trees sitting on top of an old book. Behind them is an old Christmas card box.

IMG_4525

The stand holding my coffee filter wreath is made from a railing post. I bought two of them at a yard sale for $3 each.  My friends hubby made a base so they would stand. I added a hook to this one.

IMG_4528

This is the other piece.  I left both of them just as they were when I bought them. I painted this base turquoise and the other one cream. More mercury glass trees.

IMG_4532

IMG_4524

Look at this wonderful blue ball I found at T.J. Maxx for only $10.  I love it!

IMG_4527

A glass swag and vintage postcards hang from the mantel.

IMG_4521

A bit of bling.

IMG_4529

A bird nested among a spindly tree and a an old sheet music garland on the hearth.

IMG_4530

I painted this small architectural piece the same color as my island.  Three dried limelight hydrangeas give the appearance of rustic trees.

IMG_4531

Here is a wider picture of the entire mantel and hearth.

IMG_4534

I’ve shown this before, but here is the tree in this room.

IMG_4443_thumb[2]

There are so many types of Christmas décor that I love.  My home certainly has a mish mash of a lot of styles.  However, I think old fashioned Christmas décor is my favorite.

Hope your December is off to a wonderful holiday season!

Jann

Here’s a bit of trivia for you.  Wasn’t sure which way to spell mantel or mantle.  I googled it and turns out both ways are correct.  Learn something new every day.

I will be linking my mantel and hearth with:

Marty from A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tues.

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for the Mantel Link Party

newchristmaspartybutton1

10 comments:

Sweet .n. Simple said...

Lovely ♥ That old window is wonderful!
Blessings, Kelsey

Olive Cooper said...

Your vintage postcards and platter are so charming. Mantles are so fun to play with. Happy Christmas ♥ Olive

Marilyn said...

I love the paper chain made from old music. I have a trunk full...as in my grandmother's trunk from Russia when they immigrated in about 1913.♥♫

mississippi artist said...

Love your old fashioned mantel The paper garland reminds me of making them as a child.Aren't vintage Christmas cards great-they don't make them as interesting anymore.

Diane Writes said...

I love your white theme Christmas tree Jann. something unique and beautiful!

andrea said...

Aren't those old cards the cutest? And HELLO! LOVE the smocked curtain! andrea@townandprairie

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,

LOVE the vintage postcards so much whimsy & nostalgia...
Your mantel looks gorgeous, all the little touches are so sweet & heartfelt.
All the Best,
Christine

kitty said...

I love the old window frame above your mantle. My daughter has one, too, & I'm just in love with them! I love a mish mash, too!! I say that whatever you love, you should use.

Nikki said...

Wish I had a mantle......

Babs said...

My decorations are a "mish mash", too...a collection of things I've had for years and that have special meaning for our family.
Your vintage post cards and all your special touches are so pretty.