A Wintry Thanksgiving

Have you ever had a Wintry Thanksgiving?  It doesn’t happen very often here in UT, but I certainly remember one occasion that it did.  We had not lived in our Highland home very long.  I was getting a head start on my stuffing the night before as I always do.  I get it ready so that in the morning I just add my liquids and it saves so much time.

Alas, I ran out of sage!  Stuffing isn’t stuffing without the perfect amount of sage.  I called my sister, Julie to see if she had some I could borrow.  She lived about 7 miles away.  Closer than any grocery store at the time. 

Hubby drove me to her house and it was snowing and blowing so hard that we could barely see our way to get there.  But just like the mailman,  “No Rain, No Sleet, Nor Snow”  could stop us!

The mail must be delivered. Thanksgiving Day must go on!

Last summer I was walking down the dish isle at our local thrift.  I spied some plates that I immediately knew were Johnson Bros.  I have a Johnson Bros. pitcher “friendly village’ that I found last Fall at the same thrift.  I was hoping these matched.  They didn’t, but I could see that they were Thanksgiving plates.

IMG_2882

Notice the snow topped farmhouse, the horse drawn wagon, and the turkey all traipsing in snow?  They are called ‘Thanksgiving Frozen Up’.  Perfect reminder of that snowy Thanksgiving.  There were 7 plates.  I kept 4 and my sis, Jeanne took 3 to go in a plate holder she has in her kitchen.  Yes, we both loved them and decided to share.

IMG_2884

There will be 20 of us for Thanksgiving so I won’t be using these.  But they’re so fun for a November dinner.

IMG_2886

 To capture the feeling of snow I used my ruffled white linen table cloth

IMG_2878.

For the centerpiece I corralled a few items together in a white washed tray.  Trays are perfect for creating vignettes.  A rusty cornucopia overflowing with pumpkins and squash.  One little white bumpy pumpkin atop a small urn, and a single dried Hydrangea.

IMG_2903

I made this wind blown tree for Fall.  I simply cut leaves out of book pages and hot glued them to a branch.  I love touches of Nature so I picked some pods off of my hot wings maple tree and added them also.

 IMG_2904

  I like some height on a table, but when having dinner you don’t want to block people from seeing others. Perfect for a Wintry Thanksgiving!

IMG_2891 

I used red chargers and my everyday silverware.  I love the touches of blue in the plates.

IMG_2892

 Great opportunity to show off some of my blue Pyrex collection.

Assorted designs and shades of blue.

IMG_2896 

A set of two ‘Butterprint’ bowls.  I filled one with nuts and acorns to compliment the acorn border on the plates.   I don’t know the name of the bowl with the diamonds.  Someone told me once that it was a rare piece of Pyrex.

IMG_2872

IMG_2890

IMG_2873

IMG_2883

Notice the cute fruit mugs?  They are a recent find by Avon called, “Sweet Country Harvest”.   I am planning on opening an etsy soon.  These will be listed.  If you are interested in them now, just let me know.  $10 for the set of 4, plus shipping.  They are in perfect condition.

IMG_2874

I placed my dollar store snowflake goblets on top of an acorn coaster.  I normally only use these for Winter.  Just seemed to work for this ‘Wintry Thanksgiving”.

IMG_2875

I sat an old postcard in a vintage floral frog at each place setting.  I now have a collection of 8 frogs.  They’re so fun and can be used in so many ways.

IMG_2880

IMG_2872

I usually just hang these berry wreaths on my chairs.  I saw the idea of draping a dish towel over the back on Amber’s blog,  Junkaholics Unanimous.  I thought it was a clever idea.

IMG_2888

IMG_2895

Now I just need to make a chicken pot pie!

I wanted to show you a couple of cute ideas for hostess gifts if you are going to someone else’s house for Thanksgiving.

I got these from my hairdresser, Shalona.

A bundle of tapers all prettied up with a paper doily and a strip of  torn book page.  Tie it with pretty ribbon and a vintage graphic.

IMG_2876

Or this cute little bag of ingredients perfect for a  November simmer.  Cut a slit in a little cutie pie orange and insert two bay leaves.  Place cinnamon, whole cloves, and cranberries into the bottom of the bag and place the orange on top.  YUM!

IMG_2900

Or for all of you crocheters out there, look at this cute pumpkin pie hot pad my friend, Beth made for me.  It even has a dollop of whipped cream.  The S&P are another thrift find.

IMG_2881

I couldn’t end this post without this final wintry Thanksgiving story.  A lot of people think that this is a Christmas poem or story.  But it was originally written for Thanksgiving.

IMG_2869

IMG_2871

I googled and thought you might find this bit of history interesting.

Over the River and Through the Wood" is a Thanksgiving song by Lydia Maria Child. Written originally as a poem, it appeared in her Flowers for Children, Volume 2, in 1844. The original title of the poem is, "A Boy's Thanksgiving Day".[1] It celebrates her childhood memories of visiting her Grandfather's House. Lydia Maria Child was a novelist, journalist, teacher, and wrote extensively about the need to eliminate slavery.[2]

It is sometimes presented with lines about Christmas, rather than Thanksgiving. For instance, the line "Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!" becomes "Hurrah for Christmas Day!". As a Christmas song, it has been recorded as "A Merry Christmas at Grandmother's". Although the modern Thanksgiving holiday is not normally associated with snow, New England in the early 19th century was enduring the Little Ice Age, a colder era with earlier winters

What version of the song did you learn?

I’m hoping that we don’t have a ‘Wintry Thanksgiving’ this year.  The last few years it has been so nice that the grands have played outside afterwards.  After Thanksgiving, Let it Snow!  Oh how it puts me in the Christmas mood!

hugs,

Jann

This post was featured at Simple and Sweet Friday.  Thank you Jody!

I will be joining these parties:

Knick of Time Tuesday

We Call it Olde

Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

Savvy Southern Style for Wow

Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Weds.

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Common Ground for Be Inspired

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays

Thrifty Things Friday

The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday

How Sweet the Sound

Share it One More Time

39 comments

allisamazing said...

What a lovely tablescape and I just love those plates!

Salmagundi said...

You have the best luck finding "Johnson Bros." dishes at the thrift! Of course, you know I love these. My grandkids learned early on to sing "Over the River ---" because they have to drive over the river and through the woods to get to Grammy's house from theirs even though it is just a couple of miles.
Enjoy the preparations for Thanksgiving. Sally

21 Wits said...

Yes, we've had a few too many snowy Thanksgivings! Your festive photos are making me ready to decorate too. I really like those little bag ideas, and often do little somethings like that for the table and each person's place! A most happy Thanksgiving to you when the day arrives too!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful and your JB china is SWOONnnnnnn!!!!!!!! The decorations for Tksgiving is gorgeous! Hugs,
FABBY

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
Those plates are fabulous. What a wonderful find. I love all the little hostess gift ideas. Too cute.
Kris

camp and cottage living said...

Jan
Everything cries out Thanksgiving there at your home. It is lovely!
My MIL and I split a set of the Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village'.
I do need to collect more pieces.
I like the way you mixed your plate with the red charger, it brings out the colours in the plate!

Debby Ray said...

What time is dinner being served? everything looks so wonderful... homey, cozy and warm! My mom had the turquoise Pyrex bowls with the roosters on them. Wintery Thanksgiving memory for me is one year as my brothers and sisters and I sat around singing Christmas carols after our feast, it started snowing! It was awesome :)

priscilla said...

Love those plates ! You get the best things ! Your table looks so pretty !

Pamela Gordon said...

What a fun and pretty table you've set for a cold November's super. I love all the sweet touches you've done to the table Jann. They say we might get snow here this weekend which will be our first real snow. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Kind of. :) Have a great week.

Fran said...

From the "Snowy Thanksgiving" plates to the snowflake glasses, I love everything about your table! I bought my first ever piece of pyrex last year-- a white/turquoise butterprint fridgie-- I'm addicted! I found a turquoise snowflake divided casserole a couple of months
ago, and I don't think I've ever been so excited about a find. I'm with you, after Thanksgiving I say bring on the snow!! :) --Fran

Julie Marie said...

So pretty Jann... I love your Thanksgiving plates... I learned Over the River as a Thanksgiving song... many years ago!... think A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving where they sing it then too!... I can remember quite a few snowy Thanksgivings in Bountiful growing up... I also remember one sunny and warm Christmas Day when I rode my bike!... xoxo Julie Marie

Babs said...

Jann, You are so lucky finding those Johnson Bros. plates! The red chargers look great and I like your snowy white tablecloth. Perfect with the plates. Great tips for hostess gifts, too. Thanks for the ideas.

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love those plates. Such a funny store about going to your sisters for sage. Yes I agree need sage in stuffing. Over the river is the version that I learned.

Dewena said...

Those plates were a great find! So pretty! I love your blue Pyrex too and how you glued leaves to your branch. It all makes a lovely wintery Thanksgiving table. I hope you have plenty of sage on hand now!

Unknown said...

Pretty plates! Glad there were enough for you and your sister to share. Great table setting too!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love those plates…looking for some like those…what a great find!!…beautiful table and such wonderful ideas Jann!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Beautiful tablescape! The red color of the chargers accents the colors in your plates so prettily. And your windblown tree is very cute. Everything about your tablescape is perfect for a wintery Thanksgiving (Although I would prefer a not too wintery Thanksgiving as far as the weather goes.)

Michelle said...

That Pyrex is so pretty!

mimi_62 said...

LOVED THIS POST, JANN.
Will have to try the two Thanksgiving ideas for Christmas.

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the plates...so pretty!! There will be 14 of us for Thanksgiving dinner. My oldest daughter is having it at her home this year and this will be a first for them to host it. Here in Ohio...we have had snow a few times on Thanksgiving day.
hugs,
Cindy

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

This was such a beautiful post Jann! I enjoyed every bit! From the Frozen Up plate to your ruffled linen tablecloth (where did you get that??) to your Pyrex on the table...it was all amazing! Great Job!
Erica :)

farmhouse-story said...

your tablescape is just lovely, jann! sweet ruffled tablecloth and thanksgiving dishes. i had no idea over the river was a thanksgiving song--tfs:)

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

We often have cold and snow here in Western Pa for Thanksgiving...just never know from year to year.

Jann you have so many pretty things here...I especially love that wind blown tree!! :)

Jamie | anderson + grant said...

What a beautiful idea for a Thanksgiving table! I LOVE those plates, especially on the red chargers! The acorn coasters are really cute, too. Great job!!!

lynne said...

I love your table! Very jealous of the blue Pyrex and vintage postcards!!! I look for the Pyrex constantly around here and have never found the blue. I did not know about the song and have only ever heard it regarding Thanksgiving. Beautiful table.

Cynthia said...

I love those dishes very much and what a find. Now that song will be stuck in my head all day, LOL!!

Cynthia

Rose L said...

I, too, do not like wintry anything! A slight dusting at Christmas I do not mind, but that is it. I cannot believe how prepared you are so early!!! You do know you have another week, right??!!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your table looks so pretty, Jann. It's just says HOME! xo

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, wow you really know how to set up a table so pretty! I have the blue pyrex bowls too from my mother in law that passed away a long time ago that I never met but they were passed down to me. I love using them! I love those thanksgiving dishes too and perfect for a winter get together! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year with everyone. Julie

Tea in the Library said...

Funny how these moments end up as sweet memories...plates shared by sisters. A husband and wife on the road in a snowstorm made me think of a sermon on trust. It is a gift and blessing to have a partner you can trust for the big things like safety on the road and the small things like getting sage for the stuffing. I enjoyed the information on 'Over the River'. We always sang it as a Thanksgiving song. I'm making Wintry Thanksgiving my SYC pick of the week and using the over the River picture if that is ok. Please check it out and if you object I'll remove it.

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

You pay such attention to detail Jann...the table is lovely. Those plates are so unique. I've never seen anything like them. I love the snowflake goblets and flower frog placeholders too! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays.

Anonymous said...

I really, really enjoyed this Jann! Those dishes are just wonderful. Something ELSE for me to hunt for now! And yes, that diamonds bowl is a rare treasure, yay for you! Good luck with your Etsy store, I'm slowly easing into selling on eBay just because I already had an account. I'm wondering why so many people in the "vintage" niche sell on Etsy instead. If you know I'd love to know. Thanks for sharing this at the We Call It Olde Link Up! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Unknown said...

You find the best dishes! I can tell we like a lot of the same things. I have several Johnson Brothers dishes too but I didn't get them at a thrift shop...guess what, I will be looking out in the thrift shops now!

Hugs, Lynnie

Unknown said...

Your found plates are amazing..
I love shopping at these places, one never knows what one may find, so fun!
So wonderful you shared with your sister.
Thanks for sharing.
Visiting from Common Ground today.
Michele

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Great post! Love the tablescape and those plates are awesome! I do love Thanksgiving and I learned that song when I was a kid for Thanksgiving! Thanks for joining TTF and sharing you beautiful table!

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Love this post. I am a music teacher and always try to do this song at Thanksgiving and explain the history. I live in Eastern,= KY and we had a huge wintry snow in 2006 the night before Thanksgiving and on Thanksgiving day. It was wonderful, put us all in a festive mood and reminded me of Thanksgivings past. I am hoping for a little dusting this year at least!

One More Time Events said...

Those plates are great! Loving the linen tablecloth makes for a beautiful table…Thank you for linking up to One More Time Events. Hugs Tammy

Anonymous said...

Every detail is full of love. Love the dishes, and the Pyrex made me cry. I had the same ones in orange and cinnamon colors until we moved last Dec and accidentally threw them out. They were my mom's. :(
My favorite is that gorgeous ruffled linen tablecloth. Gorgeous!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Stopping by via Pink Saturday.
xoxo

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful Jann!
Sherry

Instagram