Great American Past Times. . .

As many of you know, my youngest daughter, Kylee was recently at our home recovering from ACL surgery.

Last Weds. she said that she would like to find a flag to use in her Americana décor.  I told her to go down and check out my 4th of July boxes that I was sure there would be one she could have.

In the meantime I went outside to cut back my spent poppies.

She came outside and said, “Mom, can I decorate your blue cabinet for you?”  I was more than happy to let her go at it.   I was anxiously awaiting to see what she would create.

She decorated the shelves and I finished off the top this morning. I love what she came up with.  I’m thinking, chip off the old block.  As I was contemplating on what I wanted to put up there I couldn’t help but notice that Kylee had created a theme.  I’m sure she didn’t realize this because she is not a theme kind of girl.  Her mom on the other hand.  Well, nothing more needs to be said. lol! 

Let’s see if you agree with me.

IMG_7078

Do you see it?  She has hi-lighted some of Americas favorite past times.  Some are old and have lost their attraction, but still were an important part of history.

Shelf #1

Shelf #1

How can we forget how much people loved playing albums up into the 60’s?  And what about roller blading, sparklers, and just having old fashioned fun playing a game of checkers.

Shelf #2

IMG_7068

I think that taking pictures and reading books are still a favorite past time of most Americans.  Don’t you love my old camera.  This was a recent $6 find from the Star Mill.  Remember how much fun we had growing up playing croquet and bingo?

Shelf #2

How about collecting buttons.  Do any of you still do this?

IMG_7071

Shelf #3

Qulting has been around for such a long time.  It use to be out of necessity.  Now it’s become a national addiction. I’m thinking I need to take the 12 step program.  Hee-hee!

IMG_7070

Top of cabinet.

More of Americas favorite past times.  Fire trucks in parades, drinking, Coca Cola, and bowling.

Top shelf

I hung a couple of quilts on my black rack and filled a basket with poppies and flags for my front door.  Thought it looked kind of cute on the floor till I hang it up.

IMG_7077

Times certainly have changed and so have Americas favorite past times.  Who would have ever thought we’d  be blogging and visiting people all over the world?

What ever it is you love doing,  I just wish you lots of good old fashioned fun!

Hugs,

Jann

p.s.  I would love to thank Linda from Coastal Charm for featuring my New Found Love post about my vintage planters..  Thanks so much !  So nice to know someone enjoys what you share!  Also, still working on my 500 followers give away.  Will be posting about it soon.

I will be sharing with:

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Kathe with an E for You're Gonna Love It Tuesday

A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday

It's a Very Cherry World for Rednesdayl

lawn mower 1

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

All Star Block Party

Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday

Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday

Common Ground for Patriotic Party

july 4 button 2

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

46 comments

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Adorable...and that your daughter did it for you is even better!

Gina said...

I think your daughter did a fantastic job!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

How cute...looks like she takes after her Mom!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

She did a great job !! My daughter needs to come decorate for me. :-D So many memories of "the way it was" on those shelves.
Enjoy your evening.

allisamazing said...

I just love it! Your daughter has a knack for decorating - must get it from her mom ;)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love Americana! Old toys and gameboards too!

Aledia said...

Looks great!! Your daughter did a fabulous job and I love all of your Americana Decor...

Have a wonderful night!
Aledia @ Plum Perfect

Linda said...

That is great display of Americana! She did a wonderful job - I am thinking the apple didn't fall very far from the tree...have a great day!

Barbara F. said...

Love the cabinet,especially the fire truck. xo

Kris said...

Wow, she did a great job with your cabinet!! How on earth did she tear ACL? Poor baby!!!
She has a future in decorating for sure!!!
Hope she is mending nicely.
Hugs,
Kris

Nicole said...

That looks like such a lovely quilt in the last picture!

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

Your daughter did an amazing job! Looks fabulous!
Thanks for visiting, and I'm now following you! :)

Stacey Stuwe said...

So adorable!!!! Kylee did an awesome job, i hope she's feeling better. Thanks so much for sporting my linky button! I can't wait to see what everybody comes up with at the party!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Great vignette and a lovely collection. The quilt is beautiful

Ky said...

Mom, thanks for this sweet post! I loved spending time with you and decorating with you like old times. I miss you so much already.

Rose L said...

Such a cute setting! Love it!!

The Farmers Daughter said...

Perfect for the 4th! Your daughter did a great job!

Susanne said...

She did a fabulous job - looks wonderful - very Americana, indeed!

Full Circle Creations said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Holly

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Oh, there are just too many goodies here--and so much red!

Locked Red Door

Anonymous said...

How adorable... I love the theme... I can so relate to it...and I love the Patriotic flow as well..
I'm your newest follower...

Thanks for linking up with the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY!!!


Carri
simplydonewright.blogspot.com

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great job by both you and your daughter. I am thinking that the apple does not fall far from the tree here???
LOL!!

Hugs,,
Deb

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Your daughter did a wonderful job, it's all so very charming!

Happy Rednesday!

Jonell w Harrison said...

Add my applause to thelist Great job!
Jonell
Like Gramma's House blog

Elegant Economies said...

Love it when our children enjoy doing sweet things for us! She did an awesome job!
Happy Rednesday!

Old Fashioned Gal said...

Very impressive! Your daughter did a terrific job! Happy Rednesday! :)
-Denise

Sharon said...

Your daughter did an excellent job!! I love it!

★Carol★ said...

I see your daughter has inherited the ability to put together fun vignettes! My favorite thing about this is that it's not all your typical patriotic stuff, but vintage things mixed right in. That's my favorite way to decorate for the holidays. Please tell Kylee that she did a terrific job!

Debbiedoos said...

How sweet Jann!! btw I love your happy header..those measuring cups are adorable.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Kylee did such a wonderful job! I'm loving all the Americana accents, especially the beautiful quilts and the Coca Cola tray. Your blue cabinet is gorgeous,Jann,love the color:)Thanks for letting us take a peek!Have a wonderful evening!Hugs,Poppy

Chenille Cottage said...

Such a fun step back in time, Jann! Oh, how I love red, white and blue!
Happy Rednesday!
Carolynn

Peg said...

Love what Ky did with the blue cupboard. She takes after her mom in being creative. I will have to come and see in person. Love me some 4th of July and Americana decor and the little blast from the past is adorable.

LV said...

Your daughter did an excellent job with the old and new. She has a talent that she needs to use.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love the old and new together! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

retrorevival.biz said...

Nothing better than red, white and blue for decorating! Your daughter did a lovely job:)

~Cindy

Diann said...

Your daughter did a wonderful job. What great pieces!Thank you for your visit and I hope you are having a fantastic day! Hugs, Diann :)

ThreeOldKeys said...

wow indeed !!! she had a lot of treasures to work with, and she did a great job. maybe she could come over and rearrange things at my house!

Nani said...

What a wonderful display!

I have a modest collection of antique books too. They just look so good when they're not being read. My e-reader doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal!

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

Looks like your daughter inherited your talents!!

debra said...

Your daughter did a wonderful job!

And this reminded me of playing checkers with my grandfather when I was a little girl!

He never let me win :)

Shasta @InTheOldRoad said...

Love your shelf. Can your daughter decorate for me?

Sarah said...

Fun to see all your Americana. Happy 4th of July.

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

What a festive display for the upcoming holiday! I'm sure lots of people will be taking extra time this week to engage in these fun activities.

Debra

Pondside said...

Your daughter did a great job - you're right...she's a chip of the old decorating block!

Anonymous said...

Jann, I'm featuring your lovely shelves to introduce our All Star Block Party this week. We are all picking out a patriotic themed project to feature because of the holiday and I've had my eyes on your cabinet all week. I love, love, love vintage stuff and your shelves are PERFECT! Here is the link:

http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/07/all-star-block-party-5.html

Have a great holiday!
Shasta

Meg said...

Hey Jann,

Featuring your adorable display on this weeks All Star Block Party!

http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/07/all-star-block-party-5.html

Thanks for sharing!

Instagram