My Favorite Vintage Housewife Ads

vintage ads

Greetings, Fellow-Jann-Fans!  Don’t you all just love Having a Daily Cup with Mrs Olson?  I do!  And Im so thankful to be doing this guest post today.  Im Nicole from The Old-Fashioned Housewife and, as Jann kindly pointed out in her intro post yesterday, I love to blog about all things domestic- namely cooking, cleaning, organizing, parenting, faith, and my love for all things old-fashioned. 

vintage ads2

Ladies, if you like Mrs. Olson’s blog I am going to guess that you are lovers of all things vintage.  And if so, you must love those great old vintage ads with the glamorous housewives.  I know I do!  In fact, mid-century vintage magazines are the only thing I currently “collect”, and they are my favorite antique store indulgence any time I happen upon them.  

Picture 098

Part of the reason I love collecting them is not only so that i can enjoy them, but also so I can harvest the images from the magazines and share them with my readers over at The Old-Fashioned Housewife. Blogging for me is strictly a creative outlet, and a significant part of the fun for me is using the vintage art I have collected in these magazines to beautify the posts I write

Picture 138 Picture 140     

One of my favorite kinds of vintage ads are the refrigerator ads from this era.  I dont know what it is about these lovely housewives all dressed to the nines showing off their over-stuffed ice boxes for all to envy that makes me smile, but I just love it. 

Picture 007

I suppose its a combination of glorifying the domestic, which I love, and the bit of time travel to an era when an appliance company could brag about giving you all of one square footage of freezer space!

Picture 154

First lets look at this adorable ad for the “All New” 1947 Servel gas refrigerator.  The ad copy ensures you a long-lasting, silent refrigerator with the following features:

Picture 157

Vegetable crisper drawer- state of the art.  Dont you love how these 1940s advertisers made something so simple seem so beautiful?  I love the color!

 Picture 160

And lets not forget the “Big” frozen food locker, detailed below:

Picture 159

If this was a “big” freezer, what did a small one hold?

Picture 155

And best of all, look how happy our housewife was that she could get her whole “bushel” of food into her refrigerator!  Gorgeous!

Picture 078

A year later, in 1948, Servel had a new ad for the same fridge, this time even cuter, in my opinion. 

Picture 081

Probably one of my favorite illustrations to date.  Look at the happy, handsome couple- delighted with their new appliance purchase.  Dont you dress like that when you go out to buy stuff for your kitchen?

Picture 080

I still cant get over how they are bragging about their “big” freezer compartment.

Picture 181

The Servel was not the only kids on the block in 1948. Behold, the Westinghouse!

Picture 182

Chose from two models!

Picture 184

In Canada and the US we just cant remember what it was like to be the first generation to have consistent refrigeration available for our food 24/7.  The housewife in this ad would have grown up using ice boxes.  Her sign here was not just an empty advertising promise: the mid-century American housewife had a great deal more food safety than her mother or grandmother before her.

I hope you enjoyed a little peak at my vintage ad art collection as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.  I’d like to thank Jann again for kindly hosting this guest post and I would love to see each and every one of you over at The Old Fashioned Housewife, where I share some of my vintage ads in each of my blog posts. 

God bless!

22 comments

Micupoftea said...

WHat a fun trip down memory lane...yes, we grew up with reliable appliances and cold storage, but when I was very young I remember visiting my grandmother's home and she still had an old 'ice box' in her unlit walk-in pantry, as well as a fridge in the modern part of the kitchen!
I don't want to wear heels while doing housework, but too bad people find few occasions to dress nicely. I'd love to see a little more effort in that regard...I've seen elementary school teachers show up to class wearing torn jeans, dirty clothing and bra straps showing! Is it just southern Ca?

Linda said...

This was a fun visit! I remember those types of ads...such glamour! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Gina said...

Thanks for sharing these! Vintage ads are great, aren't they? I would be content to wear any of those dresses while doing my housework...what a wonderful age that must have been.

allisamazing said...

Loved the vintage ads - what fun! Thanks for sharing them :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh what a joy to read this guest post! SO interesting to see the post war advertising - so many things were quickly improving after that war and plastics available, etc.

I especially love that it really was that folks dressed up to go anywhere!

And the gals could finally have full fabric dresses and skirts again - no more conserving everything for the war effort.

Love this vintage post - well done!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I grew up in the 60s and remember our old fridge. the freezer barely had room for our metal ice trays and I remember the frost being so thick! ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh and my husband is older than me and grew up in the south and he still refers to the fridge as the ice box. :)

Pamela Gordon said...

I really enjoyed this post as it brought back a lot of memories. We had a fridge like that and I remember the day I came home from school and it was replaced by a modern frost free model! Wow. What excitement. At least I'm sure my mum was very happy about it. No more defrosting! Great post! Blessings, Pamela

The Farmers Daughter said...

Oh, what a great post! I love old ads and find that I learn a lot from them! Thanks for sharing. . .
Dru

Kris said...

Wow, that was fun!!!!!!

DearHelenHartman said...

I ADORE you collection of ads. I am SOLD on the idea of a colder cold as I am fed up with all the warm cold I have had to put up with in my old fridge. Sassy mouth that I am I can't help looking at the MR and MRS image with the Stays Silent Longer banner and wonder if he means the appliance of his wife - from the look on her face, I think she has a thing or two she wants to say!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I totally love it too and wish I was a young, small girl in the 50's again and see those ads and I remember this one so clearly...You can be sure...if it's WESTINGHOUSE! I adore memory lane. Thanks for sharing.
FABBY

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I just got home from the hospital where Kylee had her surgery. Everything went well and now she'll be on the road to recovery. I wanted to thank Nicole for this fun post. I absolutely loved everything about it. The illustrations are to die for! And yes, I remember heating up pans of hot water to put in my freezer area of our fridge to defrost it when we were newly married. Oh, the conveniences we have today!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I LOVE those old adds. It's what our kitchen looked like when I was growing up...Our old WESTINGHOUSE FRIDGE, I believe was OLDER than the one in the add BUT I'll bet it's STILL RUNNING(holding soda and beer) in someones garage...
Thank you for all the FUN memories.
Have a great week,
Hugs,
Donna

Nicole said...

I want to say thank you all SO much for your sweet and encouraging comments. Im just so glad that you all got to enjoy this beautiful art work as much as I did. I loved all your funny comments, too!

And thanks again, Jann, for your generosity in letting me post here. This has been so much fun!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh this was a fun trip! I have really enjoyed this post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

LV said...

A great post taking us back in time. Back to my earlier years.

Antiques And Teacups said...

What wonderful ads. Don't they just evoke the era. A wonderful collection!
Ruth

Keetha Broyles said...

What kind of "old fashioned housewife" had a pop cooler machine in her house back in the day??? And for most of my growing up life, our laundry basket was a bushel basket very similar to that only with an oil cloth liner. Remember those?

Jill said...

I love blog posts with old ads - well done!!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Yes, you are right! The vintage ads of the Housewives are the best! The memories, the art, the clothes, all of it! Thanks this guest post. I enjoyed it so much.
Blessings,
Susie

john smith said...

Really Nice post written by you. I will return to read your updated one.
Heating and Cooling Mississauga
Heating and Cooling Etobicoke

Instagram