Cookin with Fire!

Well folks, we finally were able to try out our new fire pit last weekend. We originally planned on using it a couple of weeks ago for hubby’s birthday. It turned out to be a very windy day. We decided that Smokey the Bear would appreciate it if we didn’t start a fire.

IMG_6968

My friend, Joyce gave me a set of Woof-Um sticks for Christmas a couple years ago.  They have been anxiously waiting for us to build our fire pit.

What is a Woof-Um stick? I thought you’d never ask.  It’s a smaller dowel with a larger dowel on top.  Her husband made them and then soaked them in oil to treat the wood.

Here’s what you do:

1.  Spray the large dowel with Pam and place a refrigerator biscuit on top.

IMG_6972

2.  Stretch the biscuit down part way over the dowel.

IMG_6971

Yes that would be me dying laughing because we are all thinking dirty thoughts.  I am not even going there.  But hey, at least we know how to have a good laugh.

 

IMG_6974

3.  Cook it over the fire.  I cooked mine slowly to golden brown to make sure the biscuit was cooked through.

IMG_6988

4.  Slide it off the dowel and fill it with pudding (or honey butter)

IMG_6980

5. Top it off with fresh fruit and whipped cream.

IMG_6983

6.  Last of all, Woof-Um down!  Pretty tasty.

IMG_6985

Of course we couldn’t stop there.  We had to make a few traditional s’mores also.  A new twist is to use a Peanut Butter Cup in place of the chocolate.  Oh so good!  Ha, ha, do you think those two dressed to match the Larkspur?

IMG_6987 watermark

This was Saydee and Jack’s first fire roasting experience.  They loved it and caught on very fast.  Sometimes the mellows didn’t make it to the fire.

IMG_6976 watermark

IMG_6977 watermark

Jacks first s’more cookie style.  Not sure which he enjoyed more, eating it or roasting.

IMG_6979 watermark

Just wondering, do you like your marshmallow golden brown or crispy black?  I like mine both ways.

Hugs,

Jann

p.s.  I would love to have you link up with Share Your Cup Thursday if you haven’t already.  Just scroll down to the previous post.

I will be joining:

Shannon with Cozy Home Scenes for  her Grill, BBQ & Picnic Party

1 BBQ Party Button- For Blog

25 comments

allisamazing said...

It looks like a wonderful time! We like to make s'mores using Caramilks :)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Golden brown...when and I do mean WHEN I get a smore...it has been years...probably decades! I love when you are cracking up....that is real life right there....I would have been too!!

Linda said...

While I don't particularly like s'mores, I do love roasted marshmallows - black please! Love your fire pit - it is a real beauty!

Ky said...

SO FUN! this is making me miss utah already. I will remember our first time at the fire pit forever, and of course the exciting game of bocce that followed.

Sam I Am...... said...

Those look SO GOOD! I love the woof em's! I never heard of them before but love the combo. Also, I've not tried somemore's with peanut cups...YUMMO! You've got me going now! It's so hot here though I'd have to do it inside! Which would not taste the same I'm afraid.LOL!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I am so happy to see you all enjoying the fire pit so much! And some new kind of treats I never heard of before! We have an outdoor fireplace that we use quite a bit! Everybody loves to roast marshmallows, or hot dogs! I like my marshmallows golden, but even better in a s'more! I will try the peanut butter cups! And Hmmm. I wonder if my hubby could make that new Wook-Um. Looks like a lot of fun!
Blessings,
Susie

Lori E said...

Giggle....you know we all, giggle, thought the same, giggle, thing. Oh grow up!!! lol.
I am not a fan of marshmallows but the filled biscuits would make me very happy.

Cynthia said...

Looks like a great time! Good for you.

Cynthia

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have just GOT to make these! What fun...nothing like something good that makes you giggle! Yummy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I just showed this to my hubby. I was hoping he could make some...so we both had a few more giggles! lol

Susie said...

Jann, Those sticks are so funny, I have never heard of them before. But it sure looks as if everyone is having a swell time. Smiles, Susie

Pamela Gordon said...

Those woof em sticks are pretty neat Jann. I bet they tasted good. I prefer my marshmallows black, even though they say we are eating carcinogens. I only do it maybe once a year so I think I'm safe. It looks like you all had a fun time. Enjoy the weekend. Pamela

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a cute idea! i not a big fan f marshmallows myself.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment on the necklace.
Enjoy your weekend.

Gina said...

Looks like fun! I would love to try a woof um, especially with a peanut butter cup...yum!

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

Hey Jann - looks like a bunch of yummy fun! By the way, you won the Hello Violeta giveaway at Knick of Time, so shoot me an email with your mailing address so I can forward it to her. Congratulations!!!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jan, I love your fire pit!

I also absolutely howled with laughter about that pic and what you were thinking and how it is caught in a great pic moment - you look so CUTE!

What a fun roasting experience that all was for everyone!

Anonymous said...

The fire pit sounds like a load of fun, and I'd enjoy roasting hot dogs on it.

The bisuit dessert thing sounds wonderful....I'd join you for that too!

I know you'll think I'm off my rocker, especially after this post. I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks marshmellows are icky. Then again, I have a thing against any soft, white food. Mashed potatoes, gum, bananas, marshmellows....all things other people like, but not me. I can't explain it.

Anyway, this is a great post, so thank you very much for sharing it on the Grill, BBQ, and Picnic Party!

Micupoftea said...

Looks like fun :)

Perfectly Printed said...

How fun!! And it is fun to have a good laugh every once and awhile!!

chris

Salmagundi said...

I've enjoyed perusing your blog. Love the idea of the woof-um sticks! Thanks for stopping by my blog today - the number 15 is just my birth date. I needed something cheap to look for when out junking - nothing earth shaking; just an excuse to keep shopping!! Sally

The Farmers Daughter said...

Wow! Such fun! and every time I see your fire pit, I think of Williamsburg--lovely thoughts--

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I have to make some woof-um sticks! The filled bisquits sound so good and peanut butter s'mores...oh my.

Rose L said...

I prefer my marshmallows just slightly golden. I don't like eating black ash!
Those sticks are unique! never heard of them before!

eileeninmd said...

Sounds yummy and fun too. I have not heard of these Woof-Um sticks. thanks for sharing, I might try these myself. The strawberry and cream sounds delicious. Have a great week ahead.

Town and Country Gals said...

Jann,
How funny! You know our minds all went there! (Somethings are just better left unsaid)! Looks like you all had a fun and yummy time!
Rebecca

Instagram