Botanical Window

About a month ago I picked up a small flower press at our local thrift for $1.50.
I have pressed flowers before but have always just used a heavy book.
 
I was excited to have the real deal and couldn't wait to snip some flowers.
I left them in the press for three weeks.
 
It's always exciting to see how they will turn out.
I loved each and everyone!

 

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them when I dried them.  I thought that I might use them in my garden journal.

I love botanical prints so I decided that I would create a
 botanical window.
 
 
 
 
I didn't think to take pictures along the way, but this was a very easy project.
I had already modge podged the scallop newspaper border in the window years ago.
I wondered if it might be too busy, but I like it.
I used kraft paper that I had purchased at Wal-mart previously for the backing.
I found that glue stick worked the best for adhering the flowers.
Then I applied glue dots to each corner of the kraft paper and stuck it onto the window pane.  Easy peasy!
 
Yesterday I created a fall botanical mantle.
 
 
Keeping it simple.
 
I remembered that I had this botanical tray and ironstone pitcher.

  
The floral designs were perfect for the botanical theme.
 
I love old scales and they are ideal for adding a bit of
height to a vignette.


I purchased this birdhouse feeder on our recent trip to Oregon.  Yes, I will let the birds feast on it eventually, but I had to enjoy it for a little while.  :)
 
 

I added a small piece of architecture and a tall slender bottle that I bought at T.J. Maxx a few years ago.
 
A single Zinnia bloom plucked from the garden is all it needed.

 
The window is pretty rustic, but I love it!
 
 
I love how the Hydrangea dried.  Almost reminds me of a snowball.

 
 
 
 
I didn't necessarily use typical fall colors, but I think it works!
(remember, I didn't dry them intentionally for fall décor)
 
 
Have you started your fall decorating yet?
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:

37 comments

Sandi Magle said...

I really like the scalloped newspaper setting off those great florals. But the Birdseed birdhouse, that is awesome, too!…grins

quakerhillfarm said...

Oh I LOVE it! Very creative! Great idea! Blessings to you, Lynn

20 North Ora said...

Jann - Love this idea - especially the scalloped edging!

Judy

Susie said...

Jann, I love the pressed flowers. You are so clever. The natural display looks so good together. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

The window is fabulous and the hydrangea is my favorite pressed flower. What a great idea! I won't decorate till the end of the month....it is still in the high 80's and humid here...not feeling much like Fall!

Mary Ann Potterf said...

Your botanical window is wonderful! Your posts always have such delightful, inspirational ideas!

Junkchiccottage said...

Looks so pretty Jann. Love the scalloped outline.
Have a great week.
Kris

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the flowers in the window....so pretty!!
hugs,
~Cindy

Salmagundi said...

Loved the newspaper border -- it's perfect with your dried flowers. Sally

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Another cute idea you've come up with! I like the variety of flowers you chose to dry. I actually got a head start on fall decorating since I'm going through all my "junk" for my garage sale this Saturday.

Joy Junktion said...

I love your botanical window, Jann! And, fall colors or not, it is the perfect piece to go with your fall mantle. I cannot recall ever pressing flowers, what a fun thing to do and the result is so sweet! Enjoy your simple fall botanical mantle! Blessings, Cindy

Lilly's Mom said...

Hi Jan. This is such a lovely piece you have created. The flowers look perfect showing through each window pane. You did a great job of dying them too as their colors are so bright. My best to you. Pat xx

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

What a great creation, love it! I just completed a small picture using pressed flowers I pressed years ago. Yours turned out just wonderful!

Stephanie said...

Oh Jann, what sweetness and beauty! You truly create some of the loveliest things! I have an old window that I have been saving for a future project...you have inspired me, sweet frined :)

Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs!

In My Prime Time said...

Absolutely love the pressed flowers!
You are so creative!
The grandchildren are precious-
I would not mind having a few more!!
All the best, Mimi
http://inmyprimetime.blogspot.com

Creations By Cindy said...

I am in love with your window! Love what you done here with the pressed flowers! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love this, it's perfect for ANY season. What a great deal on the flower press. Beautiful vignette, Jann. Thanks for sharing at VIParty.

Joanne said...

Such a pretty idea for your old window! Thanks for sharing!

kate steeper said...

I like this one , I've always liked dried flowers though they've been out of fashion for so long that it's long past time for a revival

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

No I haven't started decorating yet, one more birthday on the 12th, then I'm free to decorate.

That window is truly fantastic. I have a bunch of old windows. Maybe someday.
~smile~
I have a lot of maybe somedays.

Blessings,
Laura

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann, my heart slipped a beat when I saw you fabulous window panes. It is perfect. You never cease to amaze me. Hugs, Jo

Oliva Ohlson said...

You did a wonderful job Jann!!! I love how the hydrangea turned out! I used to dry flowers in books too, but have always wanted a flower press. Now I know that it really works!

Rose L said...

The flower window is so adorable! It came out so nice.

Debby Ray said...

Wow...that is really awesome and your vignette looks amazing!

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

How beautiful, Jann! So clever to use newsprint for the scalloped border. The flowers are lovely! Have a great day!

Winnie said...

WOWWWW
Jan you've outdown yourself - it's sooooooooooo beautiful!!
Super creative.
I want the flower window to myself :)

Shirley Hatfield said...

Best flower window ever! Even better than ones I have seen at Swiss Days! Are you going this year? It's the "kick-off to to my holiday crafting season!" Lol!

Lucy said...

Love your mantles cape and window! So pretty! Thanks so much for featuring my mirror! ;o)

Unknown said...

First of all, you found a flower press for $1.50? Wow! But the best part is you actually used it and just look at the magic you created. Great idea, you cute lady.

Jacqueline said...

Jann, I love what you did with the pressed flowers! So pretty. You are just so creative.

Anonymous said...

I love your window! It is positively adorable!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

I love it Jann! It turned out absolutely gorgeous!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Jann... you window is truly extraordinary! You know how I love book pages and the scalloped edges are pure sweetness. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Project Inspire{d}!
Have a great holiday weekend! [hugs]

The Charm of Home said...

Your pressed flowers turned out so pretty! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

What a fabulous idea Jann and it looks so pretty!

Mustlovehome said...

Hello Pretty Lady, you are so creative! The botanical window is just gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing at the Friday Favorites Link Party! Please join us again to share what you have been working on this week. Christine @ Must Love Home

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a fantastic project! Looks so pretty!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Instagram