Creating Christmas the Old Fashioned Way.

Yahoo, Yippee, Hip Hip Hurray!  Today is my day to share for our 'Creating Christmas' link party.

(Remember Share Your Cup will return next week)
 
 
Life is so busy and at Christmas time we all find ourselves hustling and bustling about.
I would like to take you back to a time when life seemed to move much slower.
To memories of my childhood days.
 
 
Remember when there was a Santa on every corner?  Well, not literally, but you get the jiff.  :)  I always wondered which was the 'REAL' one.  Mom always told me that Santa needed lots of extra helpers this time of year.
 
We had a big light up Santa face on our porch every Christmas.  The day I find one I'll be doing a happy dance!

 
Each year we would line up in our cars at a home in a nearby town where Santa would stand outside.  He'd greet each car with a
 'ho, ho, ho', and a candy cane.  We were thrilled.  Now you can hardly give them away.  :(
 
 
I've nestled my collection of Santa blow molds together on the porch.  It was instant love when I spied this arrow that
 lights up at Target.
 
Wonder what child gets this cute puppy?

 
 
I love the feel of an old fashioned Christmas.  It certainly is steeped in love and tradition!
 
 
I added three thrift finds to the chippy blue filing cabinet.  The fabric wreath, the plastic bells, and rag balls all took me back in time.  I remember making one of those wreaths years ago.  Hundreds of little fabric squares pinned onto a straw wreath.

 
I added the old snow shovel I decorated and a fun metal post box.
 


Don't let the silly snowman scare you.  He really is quite nice! 
 
Writing to Santa?  Do kids still do this?  I know that some actually talk to him on the phone.

(my friend Paula from Pollyanna Reinvents wrote on the envelope with her left hand, what talent!)
 

 

 
I have had these giant bells for years.  They were very primitive rusty red and gold.  I decided to brighten them up a little.

 
Real pine boughs clipped from my father- in -laws garden.
 
 
Hubby picked me up a mini pine tree from Home Depot the day after Thanksgiving.  I draped it in lights and a candy garland then topped it off with a thrift find star.


Real candy canes were added to faux wreaths.  Each one is tied with a different red ribbon.
 
(do you think my lights need painted or what)  On the 'to do' list.)

 
 Old sleighs were added to help hide cords.  The sign was scored for $2 at our local thrift.
 



 
Photos taken at dusk.
(my sis picked me up a live wreath for my door at Costco, but I haven't gotten it yet)
 
 





 The bike is carrying presents and a twinkling star.
 

 
 
The pictures aren't the best, but our entire circle is lit up
 and it's so fun!
 

 
Give me an old fashioned Christmas and I'll be happy!
Now let's see yours!
*remember you can still share your Silver and Gold at  
 Tea Time with Trina , your thrifty Christmas at
 your Romantic Christmas at
Tomorrow at 4 (MST) Carol from  Art and Sand will finish our party with her wonderful Simple and Sweet Christmas.
 
*All parties will stay open until Christmas Eve so keep sharing your fabulous Christmas!!
hugs,
Jann
 
Also sharing with these wonderful parties:
 

40 comments

Unknown said...

So, so festive, Jann! You must have had so much fun putting all your decorations out. It's very nice. Merry Christmas!

Mimi said...

That looks wonderful Jann! Thanks for hosting a gorgeous festive linkup. Mimi xxx

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
The outside of your house looks fantastic!!
Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow! Looks like you are all done decorating your beautiful home....and what a wonderful job you've done! Loving all the festive touches, so warm and welcoming! Merry Christmas to you and yours~ hugs, Poppy

Rita C at Panoply said...

Your series has been great, Jann! What wonderful memories an old-fashioned Christmas conjures up, and your Christmas Cottage sign is the BEST! Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's.
Rita

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

This post made me grin ear to ear. I love all of your adorable Santas. My kiddos still write a letter, and we also watch where Santa is online on Christmas Eve. Your house looks so festive, and I love your Olson's sign!

Susie said...

Jann, Your home is beautiful. I loved all the cute things you have decorated with on the porch. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo,Susie

Sandi Magle said...

I sure love the outside of your house. We were outside from 9-6 today trying to finish. Too tired to take photos...will get it posted tomorrow hopefully. Anyway love your bells, and the door, and the cabinet...and the lantern...Love it All! Sandi

Oliva Ohlson said...

Beautiful!!! So much eye candy! I love the red mail box and retro Santas and lighted arrow and...ALL!

Dana Bishop said...

Jann, such a nice party~ Thanks for hosting it. I have enjoyed all of the hostesses Creating Christmas!

Stacey said...

Pretty! I love it when everyone has the spirit and lights up the neighborhood. Ours is pretty too.

Kim said...

Oh wow.....your home abounds with the festive spirit, indeed your little corner of the street sparkles with Christmas joy! The Santa on the porch is a welcoming fellow isn't he...AND....as for all the other decorations and touches...they are all perfect! You all amaze me with your decorating, Jann; it is always filled with beauty and such fun!

bj said...

Fantastic...it all looks amazing and sooo pretty.
Thanks for inviting me to share my Christmas post.
xoxo

Joy Junktion said...

So many of your decorations remind me of my own childhood! Besides the fact that you have a beautiful home, you have also done a fabulous job with your Christmas decor! So fun! Blessings, Cindy

Bernideen said...

I love the stone pillar on your porch and the combination of stone and brick. We are going to have to redo the small concrete steps on the house we are buying in Missouri and I would like to add a pillar and some stone to the corners. Yours is lovely. Also - fun decorations Jan!

My thrift store addiction said...

Just charming Jann! Love your fun Santa collection and your lights are beautiful! Hugs, Cecilia

Art and Sand said...

Okay, who thinks of using a chippy file cabinet on their porch? And who, but you could make it so fabulous!

And, that ladder and the giant bells - so much fun.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I love your old fashioned Christmas look...especially the ladder!
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Andrea said...

I miss the time when the 2 kids, my nephew and niece, are still kids; i don't have my own. As most kids do they also believe in Santa and we olds take turns in putting gifts in the big socks. When they were 5 or 6, we were already tricked as they pretended to be asleep but already just closed their eyes. That's the end of their Santa, and all the memories are happy for them now that they are already in college. They are source of stories told again and again.

The Happy Creations said...

I love the Christmas decorations!!!Thanks so much for hosting.Have a beautiful day:)

Tea in the Library said...

Everything looks wonderful and welcoming. I'm looking forward to having some time to visit - and maybe even link up!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Your decorations are wonderful !!!! love every piece you showed us
what a beautiful house

Rose L said...

When I was a kid dad used to put up lights, which were big screw in ones, not the type they have today. He always kept spares on hand as they blew one or two here and there regularly. They also had those same candy canes!!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You really know how to decorate for the holidays! Love your porch and all your vintage treasures. Thanks for the fun party, Jann.

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jann!! Muchas gracias por el linky party y poder participar !!
Cariños

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Wow! You did lots of work! Thanks for hosting. Hope some of your readers will like my homemade mincemeat and mince pies.

Rosemary and Thyme said...

What a beautiful and happy post. Thanks for hosting each week.

Wishing you a blessed holiday season.

Janet

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love....your old fashion Christmas!!
hugs,
Cindy

HWIT BLOGG said...

Love it! A house full of CHRISTMAS! The big bells are fantastic...
Have a beautiful weekend, take care!
Titti

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Love your Olson's sign. Thanks for hosting this party, all your hard work is appreciated!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Is an Old Fashioned Christmas the same as a Thrifty Vintage Christmas? If so, then I love them both! You've done a great job of creating an old fashioned Christmas on your front porch. Love your blow mold Santas. I found one of those huge light up Santas last year for $5! Can't remember where I put him yet, but I will find him, he is huge! I found a girl on Etsy that writes letters from Santa TO kids. I ordered one last year for my granddaughter and she loved it. It was so personalized that she believed every word of it. How pretty your street looks at night!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh Jann, your old fashioned Christmas decor is such fun to see and admire. You have such a knack and you always put a smile on my face. I just adore that ladder with the huge jingle bells. I remember having those electric candles for the window, but I don't know what happened to the, Your home is so welcoming and looks beautiful all lit up at night. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Jann,
I loved the tour of your Christmas décor, it's all so pretty and I love the vintage look of it all!
I love how you and the neighbors homes are all a glow at night, so pretty!
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Kimberley

Elzie said...

I just love the way you've decorated your home. Looks great!
And I also love your Swedish sir name, lol. Feels like "home".
Have a nice day.
Love Elzie in Sweden

Pat said...

Jann,
I adore your Christmas Cottage sign, dear friend!!!
The trio of red bells remind me of the ones my MoMa had!!!
I love how they would light up in a sequence, then all together, then a sequence!!! They were one of my favorite out~of~door decorations for Christmas!!!
Thank you for sharing!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Heidi | Mysweetcottage.com said...

Jann, your vintage angels are adorable. You find the cutest things. Thanks for hosting another wonderful party.

Tamara said...

WOW Jann! Your house looks so charming and festive. Inside and out. Your lights are beautiful. Thank you for hosting the party. Christmas joys to you and your family!

Hugs,
Tamara <3

Louisette said...

Wonderfull décorations.
Greeting from Belgium happy Xmas

Blog my city Mons :http://louisette.eklablog.com

Louisette said...

Have a nice Advent and Christmas time


deraz said...

ابو الهول
كهربائي فلل عجمان
فني كهرباء بعجمان

Instagram