Oh What a Night!

Hello my friends,
I have been so busy ever since I got home from my vacation
in the Carolinas. 
But of course it hasn't all been work.  There's been a lot of play as well.  Last night was another birthday celebration for our craft group.  It was held at my home and was definitely more fun than it was work.
 

My friend, Joanne is always the genius behind the tablescape.  But because it was held at my home I got to help a little.
 
The table started with a layering of vintage linens.
 
 
Such a fun idea and if one happens to have a little stain, no problem!  Just lay another one on top.
 
Then comes the layering of dishes.  My hubby walked in and said, "why do you need so many plates?"  Our answer was, why not? 
 
Joanne plans way ahead and finds the perfect dishes at thrift shops.  She found the pansy glasses and I found the pink goblets.



The birthday girl loves to quilt, so the decor was centered around her.  Notice the sweet bobbins tied to the napkins?

 
And little spools of thread hang from the wreaths on the back
of the chairs.
 
 
And look at the darling favors.  Joanne made the sweetest little floral arrangements using vintage buttons.
 
 
 

 
Joanne asked me if we could use my tiered tray for the center of the table.  She trusted me to fill it with sewing treasures.  A trip into my sewing room made the assignment easy peasy.
 
 
Pincushions and other sewing trinkets were added.
 



And then Amy showed up with the cake.  Oh my, that cake!  Didn't she do an amazing job creating a quilt block design?
 



I just happened to have a cake plate the exact shade of yellow.
 

 
 

 
Ribbons and a few sewing notions were added to the chandy.



The food was as delicious as the table was beautiful!
 
I bet you think this is dessert.  Nope, it's the appetizer.  A cranberry cheeseball.  This was the first time I had made it and believe me it was yummy!  That topping was delicious!!  I'll share the recipe in another post.
 

 
Natalie brought caprese salad.  One of my favorites!!  Love that balsamic glaze from trader Joe's.
 
 
 
Jackie made this fabulous cordon bleu casserole.  Oh boy was it delicious!  We lacked a vegetable, so I pulled some of the frozen corn I make each fall from the freezer.

 
We wanted Brenda to know just how 'sew' special she is!
 


Special and talented!  She managed to balance the crown on her head.  Not an easy thing to do.  :)
 

 
And that pretty cake is not just to look at. We each had a small sliver.  The sweet potato filling had me thinking I had died and gone to heaven!
 

 

 
Oh what a night!

I love the use of vintage items in this tablescape!  If you are looking for some inspiration how to style your vintage pieces check out Invaluables great post on vintage tableware. 
 

hugs,
Jann

This post was featured at Thoughts of Home
Thank you ladies!
It was also featured at Bernideens BTTCG Party
It was also featured at Cooking and Crafting with J & J thank you Julie and Jess!

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
Vintage Charm
Thoughts of Home
Rose Chintz Cottage for No Place Like Home
Bernideens for BTTCG
Cooking and Crafting with J and J
 

32 comments

Thelma said...

A lot of great imagination in this beautiful birthday party.
The vintage linens, tired tray with all the sewing notions, the gorgeous cake and all the yummy food.
Wished I had been there. A lovely way for you girls to celebrate.

Susie said...

Jann, Sew- well thought out . :):) I loved all the dishes and things that tied into Brenda specialty of quilting. Brenda sure did look happy too. That cake was so clever. Blessings , xoxo, Susie

20 North Ora said...

Jann - What a very special group of friends that would go to this much trouble for another dear friend. I love everything you did - just adorable. The favors are precious and that cake is unbelievable. So nice to have such precious friends that you are so close to and know so many things about them. Wish I lived closer to you and was in your circle!!

Have a great week and Happy Birthday Brenda.

Judy

lynn cockrell said...

What a fabulous birthday party for Brenda! You girls certainly know how to celebrate, Jann. Everything looks just perfect and the food looks so delicious. That table just blows me away and the cake, well that is simply spectacular! I love your tiered tray too!

happyone said...

Wow, what a beautiful and fun table. Everything lovely and wonderful. I wish I were part of your group. : )
Happy Birthday to Brenda.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Wow! You gals know how to set a table! What clever ideas you have and the food looks absolutely delish! You've got me hankering for that yummy salad and a piece of that gorgeous layered cake!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, to Brenda, and congratulations to Pat on the win.
Your sewing theme is cleverly carried out on this table. Adorable!

Art and Sand said...

What a fun celebration!

Mary Ann Potter said...

It was obviously a wonderful party, and now we get to enjoy this party for our senses in this wonderful post! I love, love, love the tablescape, especially the button bouquet and the vintage photo placecards.

Unknown said...

You amaze me! What a blessing to have a friend like you who puts on such a great party :) Love the vintage linens by the way.
Blessings,
Patti

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a wonderful celebration! Everything looks beautiful <3

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

You girls have the most fun and what a wonderful bunch of ladies to share those times with. The birthday table and food was just perfect for Brenda, the sewer! I oohed and ahhed over all the details and the menu. Thanks for sharing the fun with us!

Jeanie said...

This is totally and unbelievably fabulous! Boy, now THAT's the group to be in when you are having a birthday! The centerpiece is tremendously creative and the table is gorgeous. Oh, that cake! How long did that take to make and how could you bear to cut into it? And the napkins and "rings" with buttons -- oh my! I can tell there's a lot of love and creativity in your group. Bravo and birthday greetings to the lucky guest. I suspect your party itself was the best gift!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I think you girls need to do a show on HGTV on putting a party together!! I can't believe all the details that you all do. I would feel like a queen if it was my birthday party! That cake is fabulous! What am I saying? EVERYTHING is fabulous!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Thanks so much for sharing the 3 tiered tray as a centerpiece. I bought one 2 years ago and have not used it because I wanted to use it in the Kitchen but it was too big for my small Kitchen and I just could not find the room for it. I was actually thinking of using it in the craft room and now I know that I will!
Looks like everyone had a wonderful time and I love the tablescape!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by!!
Hugs,

Debbie

Stacey said...

Jann, I love seeing your girlfriend lunches. My friends and I always meet at restaurants but this looks like so much more fun. It seems that you and your friends are on the same wavelength when it comes to decor and sweet favors.

Happy Thoughts of HOme!

mimi_62 said...

Wow, love every detail!!! What great ideas, food and all!!!!

Joy Junktion said...

What a lovely party for all, not just the honored guest! Everything was beautiful! I'm sure the company and conversation were just as delightful and the table setting! Happy Birthday, Brenda! And, congrats to Pat! Blessings, Cindy xo

Debbie Harris said...

Wow! What a gorgeous detailed party for all to enjoy. Everything was placed so beautifully and graciously around your table and I would imagine the fellowship was as sweet as that awesome cake.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful day with us.

May your week ahead be filled with God's glory.

Blessings~~
Debbie

Debbie Harris said...

Wow! What a gorgeous detailed party for all to enjoy. Everything was placed so beautifully and graciously around your table and I would imagine the fellowship was as sweet as that awesome cake.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful day with us.

May your week ahead be filled with God's glory.

Blessings~~
Debbie

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, your sewing centerpiece is just delightful--pinning it to our Features and Favorites Board! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm! Blessings, Cecilia

Decor To Adore said...

This is SO cute and clever! I am a bit late to the TOHOT party due to my college semester finals but I'm so glad that I didn't miss this. Have a wonderful week.

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Your table is amazing. When you and Joanne get together nothing but creativity comes about. Love it and the food looks amazing.
xx Jo

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a fun party with a sewing theme. That cake is something else and boy, I bet it was delish! The cheese balls look wonderful too. So many cute decorations here and I'm sure everyone had a splendid time; especially the birthday girl. Thanks for sharing with us and Happy May, Jann!

Blessings,
Sandi

Creations By Cindy said...

What a sweet party and the sewing theme is adorable. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Julie's Lifestyle said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration! I love the way the table was decorated and that beautiful cake!
Thanks Jann for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the rest of the week. :)
Julie xo

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Oh what a night indeed! Amazing...the dishes and linens, your husband thinking you were nuts, lol ....as a quilter I am in AWE of the cake , and as someone who didn't eat yet I am in awe of your menu and it is making me hungry.

Your group sure does know how to party! :) Loved this post, Jann :)

Bernideen said...

Dear Jan:
I think this is a 5 star post. This table is amazingly cute! So glad you linked and shared! Love love!

handmade by amalia said...

Sweetest table ever. Your friends must have been over the moon.
Amalia
xo

Jess said...

Everything is so pretty!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Bernideen said...

Dear Jann:
A great group of fun gals. This post is featured today on my blog! Congratulations!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, We are happy to inform you that we featured this at our Monday Cooking and Crafting with J & J. We hope to see you again. Enjoy the week. :)
Julie xo

Instagram