Pioneer Woman Dishes for Pioneer Day

Hello my friends,
 here in Utah we celebrate 'Pioneer Day' on July 24th. It's the day the Mormon Pioneers entered the Salt Lake valley and Brigham Young declared,
 "This is the place"!
 
I thought it would be fun to set my table with my 'Pioneer Woman' dishes for 'Pioneer Day'.


 
I'm sure most of you are familiar with this line of dishes created by Ree Drummond from the Pioneer Woman Blog.  And can I just say, how fun to have your own line of dishes!!  If ever I was so lucky mine would have lots of polka dots, grain sack stripes, and florals.  (dreaming)
 
She uses a variety of colors, but of course the red and aqua are my favorite. 
I use these as my everyday dishes and store them in some of my glass front cupboards.  They're just too cute to keep hidden. :)
 
 
Sweet floral designs grace the pitcher and creamer.  Darling blog friend, Ann Marie from  Musings of a Vintage Junkie sent me the  fun cow creamer.
 
I corralled them all together on a vintage hammered iron tray.  It looks as though it may have been carried across the plains.  (wink)
 
I tucked my vintage Utah hankie inside the pitcher.  It was gifted to me at my birthday party by my friend, Joanne. I haven't bought the sugar bowl, but this aqua melamine one matched nicely.

 
I'm using the creamer to store serving pieces from this gorgeous set of silver plated utensils I scored at an estate sale.
 
 
I do not own anything other than inexpensive stainless, so I was beyond thrilled.


I tucked a red napkin in the aqua goblets, which I love!

 
 
 
The Pioneers arrived here either pushing handcarts, or riding in covered wagons.  I found this lone salt shaker at our local thrift.  No pepper, but I love it just the same!

 
The little July girl was another gift from Joanne.
 
I sat them on a Utah plate and placed them under a cloche.

 

 
All the table needed now was some flowers in the center.  As I stepped out into the yard to cut some I knew it
 had to be Lambs Ear.
Why?  Because I was told years ago that the pioneers used the soft fuzzy leaves as bandaids.  The purple blooms were almost spent, but still they are the perfect choice for my 'Pioneer Day' table.



Sure am glad that I don't have to walk across the plains pushing a hand cart.  On second thought, maybe it would be kind of like a walker.  lol!

Happy Pioneer Day!

hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
 
 
 
 
 

22 comments

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann what a charming table! I love the little Utah accents and the little July girl! (I have several but June for my birthday). Her dishes sure are pretty and you've used them in a charming way.
hugs,
Linda

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jann, this is one of the best themed tablescapes I've seen! I love it all - the wagon salt shaker, the Utah hankie & plate, the Pioneer dishware and your silverplate flatware is gorgeous. The history of the Mormons' arrival, the use of plant as bandaid - love it all! We're finishing up watching the 5 yr series of Hell on Wheels on AMC this weekend, and the history of the expansion to where the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads met is wonderful! Can't wait to see that part of the country!Your reds & aquas are striking. Fun table, all of it. Happy weekend.
Rita

vivian said...

Love it! I gave one of my daughters and one of my daughter in laws sets of pioneer woman dishes and glasses for their birthdays last year. I have the green glasses for myself. These dishes are all so bright and cheerful. Have a great day!
Xixi
Vivian

vivian said...

Love it! I gave one of my daughters and one of my daughter in laws sets of pioneer woman dishes and glasses for their birthdays last year. I have the green glasses for myself. These dishes are all so bright and cheerful. Have a great day!
Xixi
Vivian

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jann, great post, I loved it. The Pioneer Woman's dishes are great. I have her cook book and the recipes are wonderful. Especially her fudge.

Enjoy your weekend and thanks for a great post.

Hugs,
Mary

20 North Ora said...

Love this post! Don't you love the Pioneer Woman's dishes? I have a set of red and the golden yellow both. My favorite piece is the butter dish. So ute.

Ree lives less than an hour from here. She's working on opening several various kinds of shops in a building she bought in Pawhuska. I'm anxious to go visit.

thanks for a fun post.

Judy

quakerhillfarm said...

These are my absolute favorite dishes of all time! So colorful and go with so much. I have a few more pieces I want to collect. Have a great weekend! Lynn

Sandi Magle said...

It's so hot outside, I can't imagine walking behind a wagon for 1500 miles in the summer across the prairies, much less the mountains. Kudos to having a "Pioneer Day". I dont' think I will complain anymore today, lol. Sandi

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann you think of everything! The table setting is beautiful. Yeah for our pioneers that founded our great state of Utah! Have a wonderful holiday weekend. xx Jo

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love the red and aqua color scheme! The Pioneer Woman's dishes are so pretty....I forgot about the cow creamer. It looks great on your tray. The whole table is so pretty with such a fun theme.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

And thank you for the link back!!!

happyone said...

What lovely dishes. Everything is so pretty. Love all the colors.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
This is so incredibly cute!!
Thanks so much for all your visits and kind words!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Kim said...

Red and aqua always look perfect together, don't they. I have not heard of Pioneer Day. My the women did it tough way back then. Your tablescape looks lovely with all your treasures. Wouldn't it be wonderful to design one's own china. Polka dots are always fun; I think I would design flowers and butterflies.

living from glory to glory said...

Oh Jann, really I love the theme, but I bet your own design and set for a tableware would be fabulous as you have such great taste!
Loved that little cow creamer too... MOOOO
xoxo Rox

Joy Junktion said...

This is a fun table setting, Jann! I love Ree's pieces but you've also added some cute and unique pieces to bring the entire look together. Love that is matches but it's not matchy/mathcy if you know what I mean! Happy Pioneer Day! Blessings, Cindy xo

Sweet Tea N ' Salty Air said...

Love your dishes, really looks so nice. I have had my eye on the Pioneer collection for a while. I have not seen any other dishes that I like as much. Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty air

Art and Sand said...

Everything you touch turns to "cute"!

Pat said...

Jann,
Adorable!
I adore those brightly colored dishes, dear friend!
The colors are matched perfectly with your Utah handkerchief!
The stemware is stunning in blue!
You, truly, scored on the silver plated flatware!
Love the delicate floral pattern and the oval frame on the handles!
I'm convinced I need to plant some Lamb's Ear!
I love the silver green of the leaves, but didn't know it produces purple blooms!
Thanks for sharing!
Fondly,
Pat

The Charm of Home said...

Jann,
The vintage hanky and the postcard are genius to display with this! Great idea. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

foreverdecorating said...

I can say that I am not from Utah, but Osage County where the Drummond Ranch is. When my mother re-married, this time to a cowboy from there, we moved to Osage County in Oklahoma when I was 11. I spent many years there and married a cowboy myself...for a time. But that is another story. Anyway, it brings me back to my roots when I see these dishes in WalMart.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Very pretty dishes! I just finished watching the Ken Burn's mini documentary series called "The West"--I believe it was made in the late 1990's. It had fascinating history about the entire west's ezrly days including the Morman migration.

Instagram