Our Tree Cutting Adventure. . .

Hello my friends,
many of you know what a 'theme' gal I am.  Yup, give me a theme and I'll do my best to run with it.
 
A couple of weeks ago I was laying in bed.  Trying to fall asleep, but visions just kept popping into my head.  (wink)
 
I was contemplating on how I wanted to decorate our front porch for Christmas this year.  That's when it came to me, "decorate it like a tree farm"  :) I pictured a porch full of pines with tree stumps and boughs overflowing everywhere.
 
Oh, and why not add a cocoa bar while I'm at it.  A fun place to sip a cup while hanging out in my tree farm.
 
Now, back to the trees.  Being the cheap, I mean frugal gal that I am I was not about to pay big bucks for trees to go on my porch.  My daughter in law came to the rescue.  Seems that if you have a deer license and you don't get a deer you can cut a free tree. (who knew?)  Well, with quite a few hunters in our family she rounded me up 4 permits.
 
Our youngest daughter had the day off, so us three amigos loaded up in hubby's truck and headed to the designated
 'Christmas Tree Cutting' spot.
 
I had shed the coat by now and as you can see I am mad about plaid!  lol!
 
 
I gave the thumbs up on this one and,
 
 
hubby cut it down.

 
He suggested only taking the top half of this one.  Brilliant, because we know how these trees look small out in the wild.  Get them home and they are monsters!

 
 
Cute Kylee dragging both the tree and the chain saw down the hill.  What a woman!!
 
 
The sun shining through the clouds caught my eye.  I have no idea what that tiny blue speck is on the bottom right.
 
 
I look like an idiot in this photo, but just something about holding a power tool. (hee-hee) Yup, I cut this one all by myself.
 
 
Four trees down the hill and tagged for the journey home.
 
 
All loaded up.

 
Saying good-bye to our beautiful Utah mountains
 

 
Kylee had a bit of fun playing with my phone.  Showing off the new boots her boyfriend gave her.

 
One never knows what they might run across when traveling the backroads.
 
 
 
Anyone in need of a new pair of shoes?  Well, maybe not so new!  lol!

 
Trees arrived home safely and have been placed in
 buckets of water.
 
Can't wait to see if my "Christmas tree farm" is everything I imagine it to be!
 
Have you had any visions of sugar plums or such running rampant in your head lately?
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

21 comments

Little Wandering Wren said...

Ha I love a theme too and you are very lucky that your family are up for any adventure that goes along with your theme, my lot would just roll their eyes! I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Wren x

Carol said...

I can't wait to see your porch tree farm! It is an amazing idea and I am sure it will be beautiful!!

Stephanie said...

Oh Jann, I can't wait to see it! What a beautiful and ever so delightful idea :) I wonder it that rule applies here in Colorado...there are quite a few hunters in my family as well {{smiles}}

Happy Thanksgiving, dear one. Hugs!

Jeanie said...

You totally crack me up -- scoring big on the trees with deer permits! Well, that would make it worth getting one! I can't wait to see the finished product -- I have a feeling your porch will be fabulous!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a cute idea to have a tree farm on your front porch! I don't know anyone else who could make it happen but YOU! I wonder if that deer permit/free tree thing works in NY state?! We are dreading paying $50+ for a tree and we usually get pre-cut. Hurry and decorate so we can all see your tree farm!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Yeah, I can't wait to see it too. Sounds like such a novel idea.

Kim said...

This looks like the most fun day! You guys are just adorable. Happy Thanksgiving!

Louca por porcelana said...

Such fun,Jann!Happy Thanksgiving!

Ksunshine52 said...

Hate to be the spoil sport here. Your idea is a novel one and will be lovely I'm sure. But, you cut down 4 trees just to put on your front porch! Wouldn't artificial work just as well? You wouldn't get that lovely smell but once decorated I bet they would look just as nice!

cloches and lavender said...

Jan, you were rocking the chainsaw. What a fun time all of you seem to have. What was with the tree full of shoes? Very curious.

Sorry I have been gone for so long.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Jann, you are awesome with that chainsaw!! Love your trees and I can hardly wait to see your tree farm porch! I can't think about Christmas until the weekend.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

What a fun idea and fun adventure! I like the idea- it sounds fantastic! The mountains are so beautiful- I’ve only been to Zion National Park in Utah. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow! I can't wait to see how your "tree farm" looks when you have it all arranged.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Rose L said...

The shoe tree was unique! Hope the trees look very lovely when all decorated. I use fake trees now and much easier in clean up after the holidays.

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh Jann how fun was this. I know your tree farm decor for your porch is going to be awesome. I cannot wait to see it.
Hugs,
Kris

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Cutting off the tops is a great idea! Looking forward to seeing your porch. Also, LOVE the ornie trees in your last post.
Happy Thanksgiving!
warmly,
deb

Debra@CommonGround said...

Looks like lots of fun, Jann. I'm so glad you're feeling like getting out there and being a little crazy!! Such a fun idea for your porch!

xinex said...

You are all so cute! There is a tree with lots of shoes hanging in downtown Park City too.....Christine

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

What a great adventure and special memories made. I can't wait to see your tree farm.

Vickie @ makingoursustainablelife.com said...

I can't wait to see how your front porch turns out! I think your theme is wonderful, and I'm sure it will look fantastic. Those pictures of the hills are stunning!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What fun to be able to go and cut down your own trees! I think the vision in your head will be an amazing one! So much fun to get out, and yeah for you cutting down the tree yourself! Glad you are feeling much better! Many hugs to you today :)

Instagram