Wisteria. . .Mom's favoite

 
 
Hello my friends,
tomorrow is Mother's Day, so of course my thoughts turn to my dear mother.
 
One of her favorite blooms was that of the Wisteria.
 


 
Growing up we always had a beautiful garden.  After my wedding, my parents sold our home and downsized.
 
In the corner of the lot mom planted a Wisteria tree.
 
 
She would be giddy each May when she saw that it was filled with buds.  Occassionally it would freeze.  That was not a happy day!  :)
 
I found myself falling in love with it just as much as she did.  When we built our home in Highland in '1988' we planted a tree in the corner of our lot as well.  Hubby gave it to me for Mother's Day.

 

 
We sold our home in '2009' and moved only 5 min. away to Alpine.  Lucky for us, our youngest son bought it.  I still get to enjoy this beauty!  When it's in full bloom it reminds me of a billowing cloud.
 
It was cold and rainy today, but the rain stopped for a bit and I had to go and see it.  Last time we were there I saw that it was full of buds.  Yup, I was one giddy gal!
 


 
The blooms are so long, and are litterally laying on the ground.



 
If you drove by it when it wasn't blooming or in leaf, you might think, "what an ugly tree".  The trunk is twisted and knotted and also touching the ground.
 
Just goes to show that you can't judge a tree by it's trunk! (wink)


Our daughter in law, Sam let me cut a few blooms.
 
I came right home and created a vignette in moms memory.  I can't help but think that this Mother's Day gift was heaven sent with her in mind.  Talk about heaven, the scent is heavenly as well!
 
I placed the blooms in a glass pitcher.  I just finished the little emboidery today.  I thought I would put it in a frame, but loved the simplicity of leaving it in the hoop.  The pictures show mom as a child and of her on her 80th birthday.
 
 
Mom always had hankies in her top drawer.  Aren't these ever so sweet?



Oh how I miss her!!  She was so kind and dear!



 
I have to show you the Clematis at our previous home as well.  It really puts on a show every year.  The house is 30 years old this year.  A mature garden is beautiful, but lots of trimming is required.



 
It has grown right up into the Golden Chain Tree.

 
I can't help but think that God loves us so to create such beauty for us to enjoy here on earth.  Our own little taste of the
 Garden of Eden.


 
See the bits of white?  It's a Bridal Wreath.  What an eye catcher this trio of the Clematis, Bridal Wreath, and Golden Chain were.  Now the Bridal wreath can not be seen from the road.
 
 

Before I leave, I want to wish you all a Happy Mother's Day, and if you're not a mother, your motherly infulence is a blessing in other's lives, I'm sure!
 
I also want to share a fun idea with you.
 
Katie Santo e-mailed me about these great printables to be put into a memory jar.
 
 


 

As daughters, we cherish the memories we have with our mom. From family trips when you were younger, to those laugh out loud moments the two of you share, there’s lots to reflect on. This year, reminisce on the many moments you have shared with Personal Creations memory jar ideas and printables. Customize a mason jar using craft materials, and print out the memory jar printables. Then fill out each printable with a special memory you share with her and place in the jar. From heartfelt memories like “you taught me how to be brave by ___” to funny memories like “you made me laugh when ___” personalize each memory to fit your moments with mom, grandma or even great grandma!

 
Sharing memories is so fun!  Someday, all you will have left are those pecious memories.  I cherish each and every one that I have of my sweet mother!
 
Being a mother, a jar like this and a handful of Wisteria, or Lilacs, etc. etc.  would be the best gift I could ever hope for!
 
Unless it is a Wisteria, which is what my kids gave me this year.
 
 
Happy Mothers Day! 
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:

19 comments

Susie said...

Jann, I love the tribute you made for your mother. She was still wearing her little girl smile at 80. I love her hankies too. Wow, the plants you left for your son's family..they are so pretty and they want to make a bouquet them, so it seems, because the tiny bridal veil looks so sweet with the clematis and chain tree. The comments jar idea is a wonderful gift for any mom. Blessings to you on this mother's day weekend, xoxo, Susie

Louca por porcelana said...

Happy Mother's Day,Jann!What an adorable tribute for your Mom...Your pictures are breathtaking,really a great gift!Thanks for sharing!Blessings!

Salmagundi said...

Love the wisteria and the clematis -- what garden treasures they have become!
Enjoy your day tomorrow celebrating motherhood (and especially grandmotherhood).

Jeanie said...

I can't believe this gorgeous wisteria. It takes my breath away. This is one of those plants I cannot grow and I love it so. I can see why it was your mother's favorite -- it would be one of mine, too.

Happy Mothers Day!

Pam said...

Oh whata lovely post about the Wisteria and your mother. My mother had a lovely blue clematis that she was so proud of. I actually laminated a bloom and sent it with her to heaven when she passed. My wisteria is
almost 60 years old but doesn't bloom like yours! What is your secret?
Happy Mother's Day. A friend from Michigan.

Rose L said...

At Clackamas Community College in Oregon City, OR they have an enormous wisteria by the Community center and it is gorgeous! I have a 2 year old one in my backyard. So far no blossoms but I am hopeful!

Connie said...

Another lovely post. I think it is wonderful that you were able to keep your older home in the family. I'm sure that your son has lots of sweet memories growing up there.
Happy Mother's day!
Connie :)

Christine said...

On Mother's Day, there are lots of things that trigger memories of our moms. Mine is the bloom of the Dogwood tree. I miss my mom, too.
Enjoy your family this weekend.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

So beautiful - I've never tried to grow Wisteria but I do love it. Your vignette is lovely - sweet memories.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
What a beautiful tribute to your Mother and I adore the Wisteria!! Beautiful!! I love the idea of a Memory Jar but I would love do a different take on it. I would love to make one for each of my sons, filling it with memories I have of them through the years and when I am gone, they can pull these out to remember me ....
Hugs,
Debbie

happyone said...

The wisteria is so very pretty.
Beautiful tribute to your mom.

Linda W. said...

Lovely tribute and gorgeous flowers. Happy Mother's Day to you!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Ah, what precious memories, Jann!

I love that Wisteria! I think it is such a neat tree. I have only seen a few up close - there used to be a porch on the back of a very old home in my town's town centre area but when someone bought it and made it into a business they tore down the porch and the Wisteria along with it. That is so sad.

Hugs.

Kim said...

Oh, how glorious your son's Wisteria is. I don't believe there is anything more breathtaking than an old Wisteria in full bloom. I too love the sculptural beauty of these trees when not blossoming. Oh my, that Clematis is a beauty....just stunning. How sweet is the photo of your dear mum. Such a beautiful tribute to her. Hope you are enjoying a beautiful Mother's Day, lovely Jann. Xx

a jar full of marigolds said...

What a beautiful flower and such a lovely way to remember your mother.

Creations By Cindy said...

Loved the tribute to your sweet mama. How precious. Oh I love the flowers. I want to reach through this computer and smell. LOL! Love the picture of your mama when she was a little girl. How adorable it. Your mama was a beauty. But my friend....so are you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a lovely post! I missed this one somehow so I am hoping you had a wonderful Mother's Day. The Wisteria are just gorgeous. I don't see many Wisteria trees around here.

Haley said...

What a sweet way to remember your Mom. It is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

Your garden is so beautiful! I love the Wisteria. Your Mom's hankies are so precious. Thanks so much for joining our Link Up!

Instagram