Sizzling Summer. . .

Hello my friends,
Fall will be here before we know it.
 
I must admit that I am looking forward to cooler temps, but for now I'd like to savor summer just a little bit longer!

 


 
We have had a very hot July.  The sizzling reds are appropriate, but the watermelon theme is meant to help cool you down.  :)
 
There's nothing quite like a juicy slice of watermelon to bring your temperature down a notch or two!
 
 
My tiered tray is one of my favorite things to play with.
 
It's the perfect place for tucking in all of my little thrift shop finds.
 
 
Like this fun bandana themed set of measuring cups.
 

I can not resist a cute set of S&P shakers.  I have quite a large accidental collection.  (wink)
 
This green set is just tiny.  My granddaughter saw last weekend and said that they were the perfect size for her American Girl doll.

 
August is always a fun month for pulling out some of my green depression glass.
 
I bought two sets of red capped S&P shakers in Oregon.  I already have a couple, but for $3 a set I knew they would be great for when I host a party.  The lady bug candles were still in the original package when I found them at the thrift shop.


Of course I am not going to leave anything dotty behind, even If there are only two.
 



'
 
I don't shy away from single S&P shakers either.  I actually saw a mate to this green one in Oregon for $5.  I didn't pick it up, because I wasn't sure it was the same.  After looking at mine,
 I'm sure it was.

 
I've created little watermelon themed vignettes here and there throughout our kitchen.
 


I love mixing in plaid with my summertime dishes.

 
Many of my watermelon dishes were found at thrift shops.  Some I bought at Pier 1.  My sweet friend, Ann just gifted me with the Magnolia Table cookbook for my birthday.

 
 
 
 
 
Also, it wouldn't be summer without an ice cream display.
The small butter churn once belonged to my older sister, Dolores.  I bought the ice cream boxes off of e-bay, and my scoops are (you guessed it), thrift finds.


I picked this postcard up at an estate sale.  It made me laugh!

 
My vintage candy container is filled with watermelon taffy.  The anthropomorphic whale S&P shakers were another Oregon thrift store find.  I love them!

 
With faces as cute as this, how could I not?

 
hugs,
 
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:

16 comments

NanaDiana said...

What a fun post! You really have lots of fun ways to say summer that start and end with watermelon! I used to have a nice sized collection of it but, sadly, gave it away several years ago. Remember years ago when all the wood cutouts were popular? I did craft shows and I bet I sold close to 100 watermelon 'slices'. lol

Have a wonderful evening! xo Diana

Kim said...

I don't believe there is anyone on this planet who has such fun collection of pretties such as you, lovely Jan! If one was to sit in your kitchen for an hour or two I am sure they would be tantalised over and over by everything on display. Love your watermelon bowls and those watermelon cups and saucers....perfect....but then every single little my eyes have peeked at in this post are filled with whimsy and delight! Oh.....by the way, I cannot wait for Spring. =)

Linda W. said...

Those watermelon bowls and plates are just the cutest!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh girl, you know I am loving it all! Love your style. Can't wait for you to see my new tablescape. I've added a pop of red...... Oh we have had a wonderful summer but I am like you. SOOOOOO ready for cooler temps. In Florida we have run the AC on Christmas Day but if I could just smell fall I think I would feel better. Hope you have a good day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann you do the best and most fun vignettes. I love your tierd tray thing. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for something like that. Decorate up on my table!! I love S&P shakers and the green one's are adorable. I need to find a new way to display mine. Happy August!

happyone said...

Lots of fun dishes. Love the watermelon bowls.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your watermelon themed kitchen is adorable. I loved the tiered tray. Seeing yours inspires me to change up my tiered tray!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jann, you have the best collections. Love the cute watermelon set. Thanks for your visit and in answer to your question: Mary had COPD and was having heart issues. She needed to undergo open heart surgery but they were waiting until the episode of the COPD got better. No one heard from her for quite some time and then we heard that she had passed away. I don't know if she ever got to have the heart surgery. Such a great lady and will be missed.xxoJudy

Rita C at Panoply said...

Love those bandana measuring cups and that watermelon candy! The little jelly slices in the jar - my mouth is watering!

Jeanie said...

Lots of fun things and bright colors here, Jann. It's all so summery and fun -- Just makes me happy looking at it!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Love all the watermelon motif! We've been enjoying watermelon all summer--so refreshing!

Louca por porcelana said...

What a refreshing post!Love your fun dishes!Hugs!

cloches and lavender said...

Your collections are always amazing. Loving the watermelon dishes. You displays look wonderful.

Enjoy the rest of your day

Cindy

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Adorable thrifty treasures, especially those whale s & p's! I do love watermelon to eat and to display....so cute! I intended on changing my summer centerpiece in the dining room but never did. It is red checked and enamel and Queen Anne's lace, so I couldn't take it down. I have to take a lesson from you and change things up every once in a while!

Katie Mansfield said...

You always have the best displays. Your collections are amazing. I love that ants have crashed your picnic. Thanks for linking to Keep in Touch.

Art and Sand said...

I love all your watermelon decor and those ladybug candles are adorable!

Instagram