Time for a Change. . .

Hello my friends,
hubby and I have been thinking of buying a new sofa for our family room for a while now.
The one we had wasn't that old, but it just wasn't as comfortable as we thought it would be.
 
Well, we finally took the plunge and one thing led to another. . .
 
 


Yup, the domino effect definitely took place.  :)
 
Once we started looking and narrowed it down to two we started seeing other pieces that we liked.
 
One piece was this table.  It was large and has two drawers on the front side.  Hubby was the one that wanted it.
 
I did like how it matched our entertainment center to a tee.
 
 
This was it's selling point.  Isn't that just like a man to love a table that opens up to a desk where he can place his laptop and his food?  (wink).  Must admit, I've quite liked it myself.

 
The sofa has a touch of both navy and grey.  I think it takes on which ever color you pull out.  I used four of the pillows that we had with our other sectional.  The mustard houndstooth ones came with the sofa.  It also came with 4 navy blue pillows. Two floral and two embossed.  Not having navy in my room I traded them for an aqua chenille.  Yes four of them equaled the price of the one aqua.  Crazy, but true!
 

 
I am still using the two trunks at the end of the sofa.  I haven't grown tired of them yet.
 
 
Here's where the chenille pillow ended up.  On our new deconstructed chair that we picked up at Pier 1 today.

  
I saw the chair on Monday while shopping with my sister.  I've been thinking about it all week and decided to go back and get it.  Guess what?  I walked over to where it was and it was gone.  I thought they had sold it.  I went over to the counter to ask the clerk and there it was.  Turns out they had just moved it.  It truly was a case of musical chairs. 

 
My sister asked what deconstructed meant, so I thought I'd share, just in case some of you don't know.
It's what a chair (or other furniture) would look like if you tore the fabric off the back and exposed the wood.  If you google it, this is what you get.
1. To break down into components; dismantle.
 
I love how the burlap ties in with my curtains.
I also love how neutral it is and will go well with any of my seasonal décor.  Although, I warned my hubby that if I happened upon a fabulous red chair I would not be able to resist.  That's what I had in mind originally.
 
 
I bought this sofa table before we decided for sure on any of the other pieces.  I knew that we had narrowed the sofa down to two sectionals.  The one we bought and a grey leather.  I was at Home Goods with my sister, Jeanne last week and spied this table.  It had a bit of a farmhouse feel and I loved it.  Went back the next day to buy it and it was gone.  So I thought, then hubby spied it in a different spot.  Turns out they had just moved it as well.  Don't they know that us old people have a hard enough time remembering where things are without them moving them around?  lol!
 


 
Now I'm trying to decide if I should white wash my quilt basket, or leave as is?

 
Here are a couple of wide views of the room.
 

 
One more close up of the sectional.
 


This is the sectional we had before.  I did love it, but what we didn't realize when we bought it is that the bottom of the sectional was broken down into small areas, just like the cushions.  It created a hard board underneath on both sides of every cushion.  It made it uncomfortable when hubby laid on it.  It will be passed down to one of our kids.
 


 
I was not tired of my drop cloth covered ottoman, so I'm going to try it in the living room for a change.
 
This is the only photo that I could find quickly of the chair we had.  I am a lover of houndstooth, but was just in the mood for change.  I think it will end up upstairs in the bonus room.
 

 
 Can you believe this color loving girl has gone a bit more neutral?
 
hugs,
 

20 comments

Saimi said...

My goodness what an impressive room! I love it all as you certainly have an eye for decorating - I would white wash the basket just to tie it in with what you have going on. Well it was nice to pop over if I ever need ideas I'll have to check out your posts haha
Nicely done!
Saimi

Margie from Toronto said...

What a beautiful room! I applaud all your choices maybe because I have a very similar colour scheme however, a red chair would be very tempting!
I would actually make the basket a wee bit darker in colour - in the second photo showing it the angle makes it look a bit darker, closer to your flooring in colour and I think that helps to anchor the surrounding lighter pieces of furniture.
Love that table - it's too big for my small living room but I love the idea of those bits of furniture that have multiple uses.
As to the domino affect - I can relate. I purchased one tall metal shelving unit from IKEA last Monday and it led to a week long cleaning, reorganizing and rearranging of furniture spree!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It all looks great. I understand about the sofa. I bought one and it was so uncomfortable for me. I sold it and then got the one my Mom had and I love it. Sometimes you don't know until you live with something. I really like your deconstructed chair! I would leave the basket as I think some texture and a different shade of the grey/brown looks good in there.

Susie said...

Jann, I love that big room. The sofa is very nice. My daughter had a table that adjusted like that and they did use it as a TV tray. LOL. What a beautiful young lady. Keep squeezing her, she is growing up. Blessings. xoxo, Susie

Louca por porcelana said...

Wow!You have a beautiful and cozy room!How elegant!Love your pretty sofa and the cute girl!Hugs!

FABBY'S LIVING said...


Oh dear friend your big room looks amazing! You did an outstanding job decorating it. The basket could be a little darker for my taste, but then you will make the perfect choice, I'm sure.
That little girl is certainly gorgeous too !
Fabby

Rose L said...

It all looks so lovely! You have such a good eye!

Kim said...

Your roomlooks Awsome!

cloches and lavender said...

Jann, I love the coffee table and I think is perfect. Happy Peir 1 still had the pretty chair. It's all great together and the trunks are perfect.

I still vote for the basket the way it is.

Have super start to the week

Cindy

Debra@CommonGround said...

Jann, I love your new furniture, that sofa is wonderful. I'm on the hunt for a new sofa too. Can you share the brand of the sectional. love the nail head trim!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jann, you certainly did come up with the domino effect, but it is all such a perfect fit. Your home looks so comfortable and pretty and I love the open plan of it..Happy Weekend..Judy

Curtains in My Tree said...


Oh I like the table LOL I would have it full also of things while watching Tv
Like the sofa of course and the peie one chair I almost went out there today however I have too many chairs now.
Your room is very nice the way you have it decorated
I would like the basket painted however it looks good the way it is

Gina said...

Jann, Oh I love your decor! I have never seen a table with removable top like that before. What a smart idea! Love your colors!!

Sue said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Jann, i might add it is perfect! love all the colors. Enjoy!
Sue

Jeanie said...

It all looks fabulous. I need to get my cushions redone here and at the lake. Can't afford new sofas so that's the next best thing. Hopefully it will work.

Very pretty, the blue gray tones!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

It all looks so pretty, Jann, and now you'll be comfortable in your lovely room. I like how your hubby shares in your decisions, too. I like the quilt basket as is, for a difference in color.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

What a gorgeous room, Jann!!! I love the new pieces, the room looks so pulled together! The classic lines and neutral fabrics are great, you'll be able to easily change things up with the seasons or your mood, just like I do!

Stacey said...

Jann, your new look is beautiful! I think you'll enjoy the more neutral backdrop because you can "play with it". I didn't think I'd ever go more neutral but now I love it! The sofa you chose is so pretty and mixes and matches well with everything.

happyone said...

You have a beautiful home. Since I've just moved I can't help but think what a lot of packing you would have to do if you moved. : )

Anonymous said...

Your home is just lovely! Your furniture choices are beautiful, but I definitely would leave the quilt basket natural. It adds a Natural, comfortable feel to the room. Which is gorgeous!

Instagram