Give a Cheer for Pom Poms!

What is it about pom poms that makes us want to stand up and give a big cheer?
 
Perhaps they take us back to our younger days as a cheerleader, :) or maybe it's just because they are so darn cute!!


Not only cute, but easy and fun to make.  Especially if you have this handy dandy gadget.

 
$6.99 at Joannes's, but I snagged mine with a 50 percent off coupon.  Sure you can wrap yarn around cardboard, but this (in my opinion) was worth every penny.  Pom poms all turn out the same size and it was easy to use.  That is after my engineer hubby figured it out for me.  lol!  Truth be told!
 
This is the yarn I used.  Both on sale.  I made one pom pom with the red and cream but didn't care how there were longs strips of plain cream.  After that I cut it and wrapped the stripe and the cream separately.



So easy I made them while out of town celebrating my oldest sister's 80th birthday.  Wrap a little eat a little, wrap a little , eat a little more. 

 
I could hardly wait to string them and hang them up.  Sometimes I laugh at myself about how silly I am!  I strung and hung them the night we got home and in the morning I just HAD to decorate my living room mantle.  I won't be pulling out the rest of the Valentines until next week.  But I just couldn't wait!  That kid in a candy store syndrome. lol!
 
 
Using a large needle and crochet thread I strung them leaving space in between.
 


New found love for a simple scrubbing brush.  Loved the red bristles!

 
The marquee letter 'V' came off of a theater in a nearby town.  It remains one of my favorite Valentine décor items.
 

 
I made the wool blocks quite a few years ago, but they still hold a special place in my heart!


What grandma doesn't love giving hugs and kisses?  The chicken wire crown was a craft I made with my sil a few years ago as well.  I threw in one of my old radios for a touch of aqua.

 
In case your interested, here's how that little gadget works.  You wrap the yarn around the half circles.

 
Then you close it and snip all around the circle.
 
 
This is what it will look like after you have clipped it.  Next cut a small piece of yarn and wrap around the circle twice and tie off.


Carefully pull maker apart and voila!



A perfect (same size every time) pom pom!


You can just tie these to string or whatever with the little pieces left from tying off if you want.  I chose to cut them off and to thread them into a garland with a needle.

Hip, Hip, Hurray!

What can I say?  I love pom poms!

hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Vintage Charm
Monday Social
Valentines Link Party
 

29 comments

Unknown said...

Jann, love your pom poms, and all the Valentines decor. So pretty!!

Connie said...

I have never seen a pow-pow maker before . . . I've always used a piece of stiff cardboard. I love how you used that red brittle brush . . . cute and clever :) A very pretty post!

Lora Bloomquist said...

I've made pompoms with my hand and this is way slicker! Heading to Joanns...thanks!

Junkchiccottage said...

So cute Jann. What a great gadget too. I love that salvage mirror over your shelf too. That is a gorgeous piece of history and chippiness! Swooning.
Happy Friday
Happy Weekend.
xoxo
Kris

Stacey said...

This is so adorable! I love pompoms...one of those pompom makers is in my future. :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I bought one of those pom pom makers for our oldest granddaughter and it took me a while to figure it out, too. Your Valentine mantel is adorable, Jann! With all your energy you must have been a cheerleader. Am I right?

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Everything is so pretty and festive. Hope your sister had a nice birthday. Wishing her a year of happiness and blessings.
Marilyn

Salmagundi said...

So cute ---- your crafting brain must really work overtime!!! I know we are in for more treats from your Valentine home. Sally

NanaDiana said...

Cute-Love the pom-poms. I used to make them by wrapping the yarn around a piece of cardboard--same idea but not as clever as your little doodad! I LOVE that little plate- wherever did you find it?
Happy Valentine's Day to you ! xo Diana

Kim said...

Of course you had to, had to decorate your mantle, I would expect nothing else from you, lovely Jann. What's not to love about pom poms and yours are very cool. Love the gadget. I will have to go in search of one. Alas my husband is not an engineer; hope that doesn't thwart my pom pom making.

Adrienne said...

I love it!!! I wait ALL YEAR for Valentine's Season, and Valentine's day! =) This year, we are having a Dinner, after which we are playing Clue! I'll be Miss Scarlet. =)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very cute banner! I never knew there was a pom pom gadget. My granddaughter came home with a pom pom from school and was going to show me with cardboard....forget that! I like easy peasy and cute and fast! Your mantle is very sweet.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The pompom garland is adorable!

GranthamLynn said...

Love it. The mantle is so festive. Thanks for the little tutorial for making pom poms. Very fun. I hope you'll come over and link at The Fabulous Party.
The party is over here:
http://ourholidayjourney.blogspot.com/2017/01/januaryfebruary-linky-party.html
Come and party at my house! BTW thanks for SYC I always enjoy linking and visiting!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh my, your pom poms are terrific and I am going to Joanne's and get me one of those.

Love your mantle with the pom poms and the beautiful piece you have over the mantle.

Looks like you had lots of fun making them.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Mary

Katie Mansfield said...

So precious. I love your mantel. It is darling. I have got to do a few Valentine's Day decorations. I found a cute vintage Japanese figurine at the the thrift today. I can't wait to putter tomorrow afternoon.

organicgardendreams said...

Hi Jann, your little pom pom garland is really cute. I had never thought that there would be a professional gadget out there to produce pom poms, but it makes sense and as you said helps to make them an even size.
Valentine's Day wasn't really on my radar yet, but your post has inspired me to think about it a little and prepare something special to celebrate it with my husband.
Warm regards,
Christina

Unknown said...

What a great little gadget, and I love your Valentine mantel!
Mary

Sarah said...

Jann, I find your enthusiasm and joy in making things for your home refreshing. You have a beautiful spirit. The pom pom banner is darling. I was out of town this weekend, but plan to bring the valentine things out this week.

Eilis@MyHeartLivesHere said...

Now I suddenly need a pom pom maker! Love your red and white pom pom garland with all your other Valentine's Day goodies. Thanks for joining Monday Social.

Kim said...

Love these Jann!! I am a garland junkie and now I need to make one. I have to share! :)

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

You are such a terrific decorator! Love it all!

J said...

Thank you for this post! I have decided that pom pom animals would be fun for the grandkids to make but had no idea if this little gadget would work. Other bloggers mention it but don't show how it operates - or let us in on the secret of getting it for just a few dollars! I'm going to get one, too!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Thanks for such a great demo. I am going to look for one to create pom poms for my two granddaughters. Yours are so cute and add so much to your display.

Jeanie said...

This is just the cutest arrangement! I love the banner, but actually, there isn't a single vignette or tip in here that I'm not soaking in! I don't usually decorate that much for Valentine's Day but you have inspired me to get moving on it! Love holidays, decorating, valentines and of course, I love love, so why not!

Nice to be back checking in, Jann! Happy week!

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, loving the pom poms and yes, it reminds me of cheerleading days too. I was a cheerleader back in the day.......and two of three daughters was cheerleaders as well. Now I have little league cheerleaders! But as I am looking at this gadget I am thinking seriously someone will have to sit down with me and SHOW me how to use it. LOL! Love all your sweet Valentines! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Diana said...

Your pom pom garland looks darling hanging from your mantel, Jann. I made a few over the holidays to attach to gifts and boy, were they a pain. Your little gadget would have made things much simpler! I'll have to keep my eye out for one :) Thanks so much for linking up with Vintage Charm--

Tamara said...

Oh Jann.. I always love your vignettes that you put together. They are always so fun, colorful and cheery. And I love the pom pom garland that you made. I'm obsessed with little details and you always have such darling ones! Have a lovely day and thank you for adding joy to mine :)

Hugs,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate individuals like you! KBC Head Office Number Mumbai/ Take care!!

Instagram