Vanity Redo: Craftsman Style

Hello my friends,
 
 I have a love for craftsman style.  So when I was asked to share this article by Merri Cvetan, a Wisconsin interior designer I was more than willing!
 
(I did not receive any compensation for sharing)
 
 
Every room should have a focal pointeven your bathroom. The focal point can be an architectural element like a fireplace, or a great piece of furniture like a baby grand or Aunt May’s Chippendale armoire. It can even be the view, if you’re lucky enough to see mountains or a sandy beach. In the bathroom, the vanity is generally the focal point. It’s front and center, supports the sink and fits right under the mirror
 
 
Sometimes, it needs a little facelift. It is possible to update and refresh the bath without major remodeling. Paint and new hardware are obvious solutions, but I Iike to go a step further. It’s easy to not only change the cabinet front, but give it a whole new personality.


 

The craftsman movement in America was an architectural and interior design philosophy from the end of the 19th century through the 1930s. Wood paneling was an important design element of this period. Installing wainscot paneling in the bathroom would be a big project, but I can get the same look just by adding beadboard paneling to the vanity cabinet.


Since this basic, traditional cabinet has a flat panel door, it was easy to cut the wainscot to fit using a table saw. After sanding the edges smooth, I glued it to the door with Liquid Nails, a paneling construction adhesive.
 
 

The next step was to pick paint colors. Olive green was a common color a hundred years ago in a Craftsman home. It’s a cool color that nicely complements the warm wood stain tones from the era. I choose Behr’s "Dried Chive." It has a vintage feel but a fresh look. When painting cabinetry a strong color, I suggest sticking with a warm neutral on the wall. Choose something like Glidden’s "Mushroom Cap" and "Gentle Fawn" as an accent color. (In my next career, I want the job of choosing paint color names!) You can also view some additional vanity style inspiration here.

Finally, for the door pull, I went with a traditional spoon foot pull in bronze with copper highlights. I like the contrast of the dark bronze with green paint.

 
In just a few hours, you can transform a ho-hum bathroom into a fabulous Craftsman-style retreat.

I hope you enjoyed this article by Merri.
 
hugs,
Jann
Merri Cvetan is a Wisconsin interior designer who enjoys incorporating her crafting skills into her decor projects. Merri writes on both design and crafting for Home Depot. If you are planning to try your hand at a DIY bathroom vanity renovation, you can find a wide selection of cabinet materials on Home Depot’s website.

 
 

 


11 comments

Rose L said...

I love the beadboard look. I did it in my diningroom and added chair rail. I want to have bead board ceilings in the bathrooms to cover the ugly ceilings. Nice share.

Connie said...

Liquid Nails, I forget about that product, it is beyond strong.
Great redo!
Connie :)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love the beadboard and the color!

NanaDiana said...

Love it. I have beadboard in two bathrooms and never tire of the look. It is wonderful. Love the color you chose---good job.
Hope you have a great upcoming weekend. xo Diana

Jeanie said...

This is really pretty. I was just commenting to someone that one of my to-do items was repainting the bathroom cabinets. I haven't done it for years and I'm even wondering if I did it when I moved in (which is more than 20!) So time for a facelift. I'll definitely consider that color. It's lovely.

Art and Sand said...

I love the craftsman look and also that beautiful handle on the cabinet.

Heidi | Mysweetcottage.com said...

That vanity is so sweet! Thanks for hosting another lovely party, Jann!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love everything: the beadboard look, the colour and the simple handle. Perfect!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great transformation, Jann!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!!
Hugs,
Deb

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh Jann, I love the look and I REALLY love that color! Turned out awesome! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Wow Jann, I love the look and the paint color!

Instagram