Mixing the Old with the New. . .

Hello my friends,
today I'm sharing my love for mixing the old with the new.
 
Have you ever entered into a home where everything was old, (antique)?  It feels a bit musty to me.
 
But on the other hand, a home filled with everything bran spankin new is, to me; a bit boring.
 
Put the two together and it's a 'home run'!
 
 
 
Many of you know my love for vintage dishes, but that doesn't mean that I don't fall in love all over again with some that are new.  :) The minute I spied the aqua and red pieces in the Pioneer Woman line I couldn't resist!
 
A few sweet floral plates topped with a vintage shaker just makes me ever so happy!  Doesn't she seem to be saying, "here's looking at you kid"?
 
 
I am surprised that PW dishes have started showing up at thrift shops already.  I scored this bowl a few months ago.
I added a vintage melmac creamer and cup for a little fun.  The little yellow flower inside the teacup holds loose tea.
 

 
A PW colander all by itself can be a tad boring.  Sit it atop a vintage scale and it's winner, winner, chicken dinner!  lol!

 
My table has a mixture of both old and new.  I've added an old mixer scored from the estate I am helping with to a mixture of  Pioneer Woman dishes.  I picked up the red bowls at another thrift just last week for $1 ea.  I don't think they had ever been used. They still had the stickers on the bottom. 
 
 I've added a few natural elements.  I tucked a nest that a bird built on my Forsythia wreath last year into the mixing bowl. And a found feather has a new home in one of my vintage frogs.  A couple of glass frogs rest on the aqua cake stand and one holds basket of gold, picked from the garden under the cloche. 




 
The sweet batter bowl is much more noticeable when elevated on an old chippy stool.


 
Old and new come together in my tiered tray.  New PW cow creamer and vintage aqua Fenton glass. 
 
 
 

 
I just adore this sweet Birthday card!



And these mushroom shakers that I picked up at a thrift a few years ago. 



I'm thinking that my utensil holder needs more than just a few vintage utinsels.

D

These fun bowls are not PW, but they go so well with them.

 We don't need to feel that we need something old in every vignette.  Just here and there is enough to add interest.
 
 
Nothing old here, but I added the leaded glass butterfly for a point of interest.  The sweet flower stand was made by my friend, Amanda's husband.
 

 
I bought 12 of the red and aqua plates so I have plenty
 when family comes.

 
 
The cabinet where I house most of my PW collection is a mixture of both old and new as well.
 
The aqua goblets are new PW, but the red bubble ones are vintage.
The blue dotty pitcher, melmac sugar, and aqua teacups and saucers are also old.



 
The cabinet looked so bare that I added some old ironstone to the top shelf.


PW pie plate and rolling pin are mixed in with a ruby red vintage sugar and creamer.  Newer plates in the same colors and two ironstone sugar bowls, and saucers carry on the new/old  tradition. 


 
Although I've shared the mixing of the old with the new in my kitchen, it's a theme that I carry throughout my entire home.
 
How about you, do you love mixing the old with the new?
 
 
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 

21 comments

20 North Ora said...

Thanks for the bright and cheerful post. Here in Oklahoma, we've had over 5" of rain over the last three days so it was a welcome site!

Happy Saturday.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Jann, I love how you combined your PW pieces with your vintage ones. Those little shakers are so whimsical. Very nice!

Salmagundi said...

I love all of these combinations --- your talent shines through!! Sally

Katie Mansfield said...

I love mixing old and new. You have an amazing collection of Pioneer Women accessories.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Your red and teal have such a 50s vibe. Very cool.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I've picked up pieces of PW dishes to admire so many times at Walmart, but I just don't have room for any new dishes. They are so darn cute and look fabulous mixed in with your vintage pieces! I love a mix of old and new. Thanks for sharing Jann!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

you really have a lot of pretty colors to perk up your room. I got tickled with the mixer with the nest. A recipe card saying "...just add 3 eggs" popped right into my mind and made me laugh.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

I love the PW goodies at Walmart and have a few pieces. Your mix of old and new is so charming.

Jeanie said...

I always mix old with new. And I love it. And I love those PW dishes of you and your fab cabinets, too. They make me smile the biggest smile!

Michele/Ohio said...

Oh, Jann- no one does fun vintage color better than you do, my sweet friend. Your collections keep growing and never fail to leave a huge grin on my face....you know me I live in a white, beige, cream, brown, green, black universe.

I live my color days vicariously through you and your fun collections.

Hugs! ♥

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I definitely love mixing old with new! You've done a great job of it with all that luscious Pioneer Woman stuff! I have to go down that isle again....haven't checked it in a while. Your collection is so perfectly mismatched and I mean that in the nicest way!!

Rose L said...

That turquoise mixer is great! Love mixes of color with my turquoise painted walls.

Connie said...

Jann, your collections are wonderful and the way you display them is so enchanting. I agree that the turquoise mixer with the bird's nest made my heart skip a beat . . . delightful. ch always have sure a sweet visit, here in your little corner of blog-land.
Have a lovely week.
Connie :)

Richard said...

You didn't mention the crocheted tablecloth in your photos - where did you score it? It looks so at home along with everything else.

Cudos on the Sunbeam Aqua Mix Master mixer too!

Richard, in Charlotte, North Carolina

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Oh I just love the polka dots! I'm not surpised about the PW dishes. They are a very specific style that just might not be to the taste of some ladies. They probably got them for gifts. The solids are more versatile. I like the whimsy of the dishes though.

Be blessed friend!
Laura

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love mixing the old with new. I got too much old to get rid of in which I WON'T. LOL! (That's my problem) But I do love NEW and nothing wrong with mixing it up. You always seem to put everything together that looks so good. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Art and Sand said...

You mix old and new beautifully!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Oh, yes. I'm an old and new person too. It is a great balance. Love your photos.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
You did the perfect job of mixing the old with the new!! Those new dishes are lovely and perfect for your home!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Deb

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I love the way you mix the old and new...and yes, I most definitely mix things up in my home as well!! You have quite the collection in your cabinet, I'd have so much fun playing with table settings!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Mixing old with new means having the best of both world!

Instagram