Daily Chores of a Pioneer Woman. . .

Hello my friends,
here in Utah we celebrate 'Pioneer Day' on July 24th.

We honor the courageous men, women, and children that took the long and hard trek across the plains searching for religious freedom.

Pioneer Day Utah is celebrated on July 24th each year (on July 25 if the date falls on a Sunday) to mark the day in 1847 when Brigham Young led the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. The day was first celebrated in 1849.

Although my mother was not an active Mormon and my father was Catholic, we have a long line of Pioneer heritage.

My mantle is a tribute to the hard working
Pioneer Woman



 Aprons were a must for a pioneer woman.  They kept their clothes clean, dried dishes, and wiped away many tears from the faces of little children.

Even though they were a necessity, it doesn't mean that they couldn't be pretty.  Fabrics were mixed, embroidery and bits of lace were added to give each one charm.  Some were even
hand crocheted.


 
Many hours were spent in the kitchen baking biscuits and pies.  Canning was necessary to get them through the winter months.
 
 


I must admit, there have been times that I thought I would have loved to have been a pioneer woman.

but. . .

then reality sinks in. 

We have it so easy with all of our modern conveniences!
Can you imagine having to use one of these heavy irons that had been heated on the coal stove?

 
 
They did not have the convenience of simply tossing their clothing in an automatic washer.
 
 
Children did their studying by light provided by candles or kerosene lamps.  Books were not plentiful, and they certainly didn't own a kindle or ipad.
 
 
When was the last time you thought of making a rug out of rags?
 
Now days quilting and rug making are done because we enjoy taking a step back and relating to our past.  We have a choice.
Pioneer woman did not.  It was their way of life.
 
 
If you ask me, pioneer woman were pretty amazing!  I love reading the stories of my ancestors.

The Mormon pioneers left their homes in Missouri and headed to the Salt Lake Valley in search of religious freedom.

They encountered terrible hardships and many died along the way.

Every four years the youth and youth leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ, (Mormons) reenact the 'Trek' that the Pioneers took.
Certainly not as long, and they endure nothing compared to the early pioneers, but it helps to remind them of the sacrifice their ancestors made.

They dress in pioneer clothing, leave iphones and all other modern day devices behind, and walk many miles pulling and pushing handcarts. 

Each youth is encouraged to research a pioneer ancestor that they can take that name along with them during their trek.

Here are a few pictures taken from the internet of some reenactments.




Some of my children and I have participated in 'trek'.
It certainly does grow your testimony and  increase your faith in the Lord.

How about you, do you think you could have been a
Pioneer woman?



hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Vintage Charm
 

19 comments

Connie said...

Hi Jann, thanks for the very interesting post. Yes, I believe that I could have been a pioneer woman.
My husband's grandmother made three trips in a covered wagon across the prairie when she was a young girl. Once from Minnesota to Idaho. Then a few years later back to Minnesota. Then once again her Dad decided to return to Idaho and start again. Steve's grandmother lived to be 103 years young and she had some stories to tell. This strong woman owned and operated two houses converted into apartments in the university district of Seattle until just a few months before her 100th birthday. What a blessing she was to her family and what a gift from God to be that healthy and strong for that many years.
Happy Pioneer Days to you and your family. Although I am not Mormon, I do admire your family values.
Keep Smiling.
Connie :)

Salmagundi said...

I always enjoy your Pioneer Days' post each year. Even though I don't come from a Mormon background, I can appreciate their grit.
An ancestor of mine first came from Maine to Colorado in 1876 walking the last part of the trip on his wooden prosthetic leg. I just came in from being outside in the heat for a few minutes to my air conditioned house --- I'm such a pansy!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hi! I cannot remember if I told you. I'm featuring this post tomorrow in Happy Homemaker Monday! July 10th edition.
Be blessed,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Jeanie said...

I don't think I could have lived that life. But I do love the aprons! And you the most marvelous collection of vintage to tie in with this theme. A fun and fascinating post -- makes me glad I live these days!

Regina said...

Such pretty aprons. I can't imagine wearing a crocheted apron though. They are too pretty to wear.

Old Time Cindy said...

Sometimes, I feel like I would have been a better fit living during the good old days. I'm not too much of a modern gal and appreciate the simple things. It definitely was a harder life, though. Love your aprons!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Jann, I could be one if I had to, but would not choose that life. I do admire a community that keeps such a tradition alive. And encouraging your youth to learn about the past hardships by experiencing them is such a wonderful opportunity! Loved your post today. I will be rethinking my complaints about "hardships" next time the internet gets slow!

Carol said...

I love your mantle! I find that the pioneer lifestyle although hard was certainly one to be admired. Life was harder but more time was spent as a family together and that means a lot.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jann, I love reading about the Pioneer celebration. And I see we have something in common, just a tad different - my mother was Catholic, my dad Mormon (he converted to Catholicism in WWII, then remarried in the Mormon church).
I love the state of Utah and have very fond memories of our brief trip there last year. I want to go back - and next time meet you!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I don't know if I could be a pioneer woman....I guess if I had to!! The town I live in, Palmyra, NY, is the mecca of Mormonism and this week is the week they celebrate the founding of the Mormon religion, right down the street from me at Hill Cumorah. Our town is quite busy during this week, as 1,000's of people come to see the re-enactment of the Joseph Smith story. I just love your mantel and the banner of pioneer clothing!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your mantel is so creative and all the pieces are charming. I don't think I would make it as a pioneer woman but it is fun to think about a pioneer life. When I see the mountains and rugged terrain that the early settlers had to face it amazing me that so many were brave enough to cross the country.

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, loving your Pioneer woman mantle. So darling. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sandra said...

My family often laughs at me, but I totally would have lived in that time period. I know things weren't easy and we have all the technology to help us today, but everything was so much simpler in a way.

Loved your post :)

lynn cockrell said...

Your post is very thought provoking,Jann. Being able to look back as we can today on what our fore-bearers had to endure to handle life's challenges makes me see what blessings we take for granted. I really enjoyed the post.

Rose L said...

July 24th, that's my birthday! 65 then! I would probably not have been too good a pioneer woman.

Regina said...

I don't know if I could live the life of a pioneer. It was very difficult back then but it was even more difficult if you were a person of color.

Hill House Homestead said...

I use to say I was born 100 yrs to late because I love that time period in history! But the reality is, while I love living an old fashioned life, I also love modern technology and medicine. And although I have the heart and desire to work tirelessly everyday my health has often been an issue that slows me way down.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I much admire pionneers - men, women and children, but I wouldn't have liked living in those days, when most of the time was filled with house activities for women... I do love having some time fr studying!

Mimi said...

Jann, we were baptised into the Mormon faith when I was about 11 years old. The church were certainly happy to welcome a solo Mama of 7 beautiful children into the fold...lol! I am not an active, practising Mormon nowadays, but the lessons learned from the women in our stake, run through my veins, so yes, I would say I am a 'modern' Pioneer woman. I am Queen of make hay while the sun shines, make do, make-over and make peace in the family. We grow produce even though we are five minutes in any direction from a supermarket, and I find immense joy in feeding my family from my own garden. Heirloom skills are paramount here, and if I can avoid the curse of consumerism, I do. That said, the Modern Pioneer woman really has it easy compared to those early days, so perhaps I'm kidding myself...lol! A wonderful post. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

Instagram