Summer Solstice Celebration

Hello my friends,
We have had a very hot summer this year, but my friends and I still managed to celebrate our summer solstice. 
 Although to beat the heat we started the party at 8 instead of the original planned time of 6.
 
The official date of the summer solstice was June 21st, so we were almost a month late, but that didn't put a damper on our fun!
 
It was an absolutely magical event!
 


 
I have been the member of this craft group for a couple years now.  Each month we have a delicious dinner and create a craft.  For our summer solstice we decided that we would forgo the craft and just have a relaxing evening.
 
(Amy, Jackie, Karen, me, Laura, Brenda, and Joanne)
 
 
Joanne hosted it in her back yard and used her amazing talent to make it magical!
 
Here she is lighting the candles.
 

The table was set with gorgeous dishes, Spode Wickerdale which once belonged to her great grandmother. The goblets were her grandmothers.  I love all of the family connections!  She gifted each of us with a darling garden tea light holder.


 
 
The beautiful silverware was her mothers.
 
 
We all contributed a food item.  Laura made the fabulous salad and Jackie created this delicious cold citrus soup.

 
Brenda brought chicken salad and I furnished a fruit salad, but I missed getting a photo.
 
The draped netting and coffee filter flowers really made you feel like you had stepped right into the pages of a popular magazine! 
 I have always loved her door dividers.  Last year she added wallpaper to some of the doors and it's so cute!!



I loved the shrub showing through the glass panes of this door!



 
No surface goes untouched.  Not the chandelier or the back of the bench and chairs!  Her special touches are everywhere!
 

 
 

The hammock draped at one end was a big hit.

 
We all took our turn trying it out.  I'm certainly no pin up girl, but nobody can look too bad on this beautiful hammock!
 
 



Sweet Karen created the head garlands for each of us.  She also made a beautiful Maypole that we wound at the end of the evening.
 

 
 
I love this photo of friends conversing!!
 
 
Amy is a baker and her cookies and cakes are to die for!  Not only are they almost too pretty to eat, but they are delicious as well!
 
 
This is what they call a naked cake.  I'm sure many of you are familiar with the term.  If not, it refers to a cake with very little frosting so that the cake shows through.  It's placed on a beautiful cake stand and elevated with two amazing mirrored pedestals that belong to Joanne's mother.

 
Both the cookies and cake were almond flavored.  I was so full that I only ate a sliver and I am dying for a slice right now!  :)
 


Oh what a night!  One never to be forgotten!!
 
I hope you had a happy summer solstice.
hugs,
Jann
 

 

22 comments

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, how divine! What a vision you all look in white, Jann. Love the photo of you resting upon that glorious hammock! Gorgeous venue, gorgeous decorations and the food looks amazing. It certainly seems you all enjoyed the best fun at your Summer Solstice celebration.

Old Time Cindy said...

How fabulous! Your gathering looks gorgeous and should be featured in a magazine. What fun!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Pure magic, Jann! Joanne's garden party was outfitted to the nines, and so were all of you! What a fantastic evening of food and fellowship. It ALL looks magazine worthy, and Amy's naked cake on those pedestals is just fabulous. Beautiful little takeaway gifts - they almost look liked they match that gorgeous china. Oh, and the silverware.....just all so pretty!

NanaDiana said...

What a fun, fun party. I would have loved to be there with all of you. You all look great in your white outfits and sweet hair wreaths. Better late than never-June/July...who cares?! xo Diana

Kim said...

Wow, now that's a party! The decor, the crowns, the table, the food...all of it amazing. I agree with Rita, pure magic!

The Victorian Girl said...

What a magical evening!

Daniela said...

Dearest Jann,
you said it, truly a magical event recalling to my mind such lovely ancient traditions and times, blessed be !

Wishing you a most beautiful Saturday and Sunday ahead,
I'm sending all my love to you, Lovely Lady

XOXO Dany

Connie said...

What a fun and festive bunch of friends you have . . . I can not believe the enchanting decorations as well as the food. Every detail was marked with grace and charm. You hit the nail on the head when you said, "A night to remember" . . . thanks for sharing :)

Susie said...

Jann, What a beautiful extravaganza. All the décor was absolutely magazine worthy. The dinnerware so beautiful. You ladies look like gorgeous woodland nymphs. I loved all your pictures of this event. Makes me wish I could get my sister to agree to sister day again. I used to have them 4 times a year. A couple sisters can be grumps, I love them anyway. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

sandi s said...

It looks like such a beautiful evening! I love how all of you were dressed. Hugs,

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You all look like angels in white and the setting is just heavenly. The food sounds and looks wonderful. How fun to make time to do this for each other....girlfriend time!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

WOW, what a magical night for you young ladies. Everything is simply beautiful. So much work went into the decorations. The tablescape was stunning and the food so yummy.

Great pictures of all of you. Thanks so much for sharing with us Jann.

Have a great weekend. Are we every going to have a little less heat?

Hugs,
Mary

RS said...

Thank you for sharing this magical beautiful evening. It feels like I was there. So many details of pampering each other.

Sarah said...

A beautiful, magical evening. I think it's wonderful that you girls get together to be creative and enjoy friendship. One can feel the joy that this group brings to an occasion.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

What fun! If I lived close enough to you I would beg to join your crafting group. You all look like you are having a fantastic time during your gatherings.

Sandi Magle said...

How gorgeous an evening you all had. Like a fairy garden. Delicious...and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, Sandi

Tea in the Library said...

What a magical setting! I'm catching up with some of my favorite blogs, although I am not yet back to blogging myself. I am still writing though, and am working on a cozy mystery series at the moment. I'm babysitting my granddaughter every other week, which is a 100+ mile drive so life is a bit hectic. I'm so glad to have a rainy Sunday afternoon to catch up with your blog. Angels to you!

Louca por porcelana said...

Wonderful time!Everything's perfect...Gorgeous tablescape!And the great treasure: friendship...Thanks for sharing.Hugs!

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

I love reading blog posts about "real life" parties and this one looks fantastic! So much attention to detail to make the decor and the food extra special. Seeing all of you dressed in white with the terrific head pieces allows us to feel like we were just around the corner watching - how I wish I was, if not a guest. LOL Thanks for capturing it all for us.

Jeannie said...

What an awesome evening and it is a blessing to have such talented friends. My favorite was the little white dog, so cute.
Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Everything looked so perfect and dreamy!

Rose L said...

Everything looks so lovely and magical! What a wonderful gathering.

Instagram