The Textures of Fall. . .

Hello my friends, I don't think there is any other season that nature provides us with so many wonderful textures.
 
The crispy fallen leaves, the slender blades of grasses, and the round roughness of acorns and pinecones.  Just to mention a few.
 
I had this thought in mind when I decorated my living room mantle for fall.
 
I started with a pair of old chippy corbels that I bought in Charleston, SC a couple years ago.  I sat this sweet blue glass pumpkin, that was gifted to me; on a wooden slice and tucked it in between the corbels. 
 
(notice the silly lady that got her shoulder in the photo?)  :)
 

 
 
The accent of the golden stem on the blue pumpkin prompted me to pull out a few of the gold mason jars that I've had for a few years.  They were originally made for a bridal shower.  I placed Hydrangeas in a couple and added some paper covered Styrofoam balls for more texture.
 
On the opposite endof the mantle I placed two metal pumpkins.  They were originally brown, but I sprayed them white and dusted them with gold glitter.  I thought I might add some bits of gold leafing, but never got around to it.  More paper balls, and a scalloped blue cake stand.  A shaft of wheat is tucked underneath.
 
 
The glass plate is the 'fall' one in the Currier and Ives" series.  I found them at a thrift shop a few years ago.
 
The clock represents a 'time for every season'.
 


I love this rustic wooden wheel I picked up at an antique store in Napa, CA last June.  the wood adds another texture.
 

 
After everything was all in place I tucked a burlap garland here and there throughout.
 
I planned on cutting leaves out of gold paper and draping a garland as well, but just did not get er done.  Sometimes things don't go as planned, but no worries, right?
 



 I hope you enjoyed my fall mantle filled with texture!
 
One of my favorite textures we see in fall is that of pumpkins and gourds.  Don't you love the unusual ones they have now days?
 
This is my favorite gourd.  I added it to a vignette on our entertainment center.



 
 
How do you feel about texture?
 
hugs,
Jann
 

21 comments

lynn cockrell said...

Your Fall mantel is beautiful, Jann. I am a pumpkin, gourd and squash(acorn/butternut)lover. Just one more reason I love it when the season arrives. I hope you are doing well.

Louca por porcelana said...

Your decoration is very beautiful,Jann!Love the colors and textures.The turquoise pumpkin is gorgeous...Love your brown transferware porcelain!Hugs.

Stacey said...

This is so pretty, Jann. I love the way the blue in the plates complements the blue pumpkin.

Betty said...

Your mantle is so pretty and I love the blue pumpkin.

Creations By Cindy said...

Everything is so very pretty Jann. You always do everything with excellence. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Connie said...

Very pretty . . . my favorites are the gourd and the wooden wheel. You find some amazing things on your travels . . . where do you store them all?

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann your mantel is so pretty. I love the colors and textures you combine. You always inspire me! Hugs!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Stunning!! I love the textures - there's so much to look at here but it's simple and elegant at the same time. The pop of turquoise REALLY sets it all off. Beautiful! Sharing on my FB page.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, You did a nice job displaying all that lovely fall decor and the different textures. I guess I usually think more boring symmetrical LOL
But, your array of things always inspire me! Those paper balls I have never seen before, I think thay are really cute!
Thinking of you...
Roxy xo

Debby Ray said...

You have such a great imagination putting all of these cool things together, Jann. Very unique and very "fall-ish"!

Pam Richardson said...

Beautiful mantel, Jann! I love all the textures and especially the blue pumpkin!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Love the blue pumpkin, Jann! It almost looks like a robin egg blue in the picture. And yes, I love textures too; especially pine cones and acorns. The paper balls are cute too. Thanks for sharing.

xinex said...

I love all the textures, Jann. What a beautiful mantle display!...Christine

Gingham Gardens said...

I love it- the texture, the chippy goodness, the pops of turquoise in an otherwise neutral palette. It's beautimous!

happyone said...

Everything looks very nice. You put a lot of thought into decorating.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Jann

Back to blogging again after a break for a trip to Italy and sadly a family loss. I love your turquoise pumpkin! My daughter-in-law loves that color and if I found a pumpkin like that I'd buy it for her. Autumn has arrived in Colorado--lots of aspen gold. It has aklso been cool and rainy this week and the high mountains had some snow!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love texture and you have created your mantel beautifully with so many different ones. I am not a modern décor kinda girl with all that smooth shiny stuff. Give me color and texture!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your mantel just shouts color and texture. I love the blues you included. Your Fall mantel is gorgeous.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your Fall mantle is just perfect, Jann! I love your style of decorating. You have a special talent!

Jeanie said...

It's striking as is -- you don't need to add the leaves. They can go elsewhere when you feel like it!

I love texture too. My mantle has (faux) leaves and the smoothness of copper and brass right now. I'll get more into pumpkins and such next week!

Jacqueline said...

Always gorgeous and overwhelming! You rock!

Instagram