My Funny Valentine

 
Hello my friends,
 
As most of you know I am a vintage lovin gal.
 
I am so excited to be joining some of my vintage loving friends for a Valentines blog hop and link party today.
A big thank you to Amber and Debra for putting this hop together!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Have you ever noticed how funny the sayings on vintage Valentines are?  They just make me smile!
 
 
But do you know what is even more funny that vintage Valentines?
Bare naked babies called Kewpie!
 
They are the inspiration for my 'funny Valentine' tablescape that I am sharing today.
 
After visiting me, you will want to hop over and visit Linda from
Itsy Bits and Pieces to see what vintage goodness she has to share. 
 
 
Last year I helped host 8 estate sales for my friends late Aunt.
 
I passed up so many Kewpies she had.  I think they are cute, but not enough to start a collection.
 
But then a few weeks ago I saw this pair at an estate sale and thought they would be fun for Valentines.  Notice they have little wings?  It's hard to read, but the one standing holds a "I love you this much" banner.
 
 
I also passed up some blocks that had iron-on transfers of Kewpies.  They just needed to be embroidered.  When February was drawing near I remembered that I hadn't put the Kewpie blocks out for sale.  That's when I thought that they would make a cute runner for my table. 
 
 
I love redwork and it's makes embroidering so much faster when you don't have to change thread.



So I stitched away and created my 'funny Valentine' table runner.
 
My friend, Amanda quilted it for me.  I love the stitch of the trailing hearts!
 
 
 
 
This baking scene is what I decided to run with for the table décor.
 
 
 
I pulled out my vintage Sunbeam mixer and filled it with hearts.  Isn't the aqua color dreamy?
 
 
Amanda, my friend who quilted the runner; and also made the polka dotted heart had tied some cords together with a chenille stem and formed it into a heart.  I thought it was so sweet.  I just had to copy!  (wink)

 
My old Sno-Kreem shortening can is so faded, but I still love it!  Perfect for holding a blooming Paper White.
 

 
A vintage sifter, hot pads, and cookie cutters hang from the chandelier.
 

 
Look at this sweet little dress hot pad.  I don't know how much it would protect your hand, but certainly fun to look at.

 
Each setting is layered with a fun red/white combo.  I bought the large plates at Target a few years ago.  The salad plates were a thrift find, and the polka dot cups and saucers I just purchased off of Instagram.  They are vintage.  I stitched wool hearts and tucked one inside each cup.  They can even be considered vintage because they were cut from an old wool coat.  : )
 
 
Just wanted to show you how sweet the salad plates are.

 
I bought the heart goblets at the Dollar Store for my kids when they were little.  They are in their 30's and 40's now; so they are quite old.  You don't know how many times I have just about donated them to charity.  A vintage hankie is tucked inside.

 
My friend, Ann gifted me with the felt hearts.  I wanted to bring in some more pink so I placed some of both red and pink under the silverware.  Which by the way, is another thrift find.
 
 
This tablescape is a little different than I usually do.  I didn't want to cover up those cute Kewpies, so I just decorated the ends.
 
A birds eye view.
 
 
And of course, you can't have a baking themed table without something baked.  I made sugar cookies for Super Bowl.  Luckily, I had some left over. 
 

I love Crinoline dishes!  We found quite a few when setting up one of our estate sales.  My friend Dolly and I divided them in half so we each got some.

 
Thought I'd mention that the frosting for the cookies got mixed up in that sweet vintage mixer. 
 
 
I adore bottle brush trees and use them a lot more than just Christmas.  I created the stand by glueing a large tart tin from a thrift shop to a base and spray painting it pink.
 
 
 
So, what do you think; Won't you be my Funny Valentine?
 
 
 
 Do you have any Valentines themed blog posts to share?  We would love for you to come back this evening and join us for the "Share the Love Valentine Link Party"
 
 
 Here is a list of the other vintage lovin bloggers participating in this hop.  You are going to want to visit all of them!










hugs,
 
 
Also sharing with these fun parties:
 
 
 
 
 
&nbsp

25 comments

Decor To Adore said...

Your darling Kewpie quilt runner truly makes my heart beat faster. What an enchanting tablescape. Happy Valentine's Day!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

How adorable! I love your kewpies...they are so sweet for Valentine's Day!

Stacey said...

So sweet, Jann. Those little cupies are adorable. :)

Jeanie said...

Could you hear my sighs, my ooohs and ahhs all away across the great lakes, the Mississippi and the mountains? Oh yes, that was me! So in love with every image in this post, it brings out all my happy!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann this is adorable. The kewpies really caught my eye! The details just make it that much more special.

Diana said...

LOVE your kewpies, Jann!! And I could use one of your yummy-looking cookies right about now :)

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

Adore your vintage table! The runner is too cute! I love the little bottle brush trees! Angelina @ Petite Haus

Pam Richardson said...

Jann, this is so sweet...I love every single detail. The kewpies are adorable as well as the runner. Such a charming table~

Louca por porcelana said...

Just wonderful,Jann!!!Adorable!

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Absolutely fabulous! I love Kewpies, especially for Valentine's Day. Your mixer is so amazing, and I love that you use it too! I also love the bottle brush trees. I don't know if you noticed in my post, I put a tiny little pink tree inside a silverplate salt shaker that sort of looks like a mini tree in a gazebo. So fun to use bottle brush trees for Valentine's Day and Easter too! Your chandy looks adorable displaying all of the old pot holders. Pure vintage goodness here!

Thank you so much for joining the hop. It has been so fun!

mimi_62 said...

Loved this post, Jann!! The Cupie runner has sooo much detail!! It is the cutest ever! All the collages are superb. Thnx for sharing!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh how cute Jann! I always love reading your blog!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Jann, this is all so so cute. LOVE that adorable quilted Kewpie runner, those wool hearts, all the goodies hanging from your chandy. You've put them all together in such a precious tablescape. we've had a fun hop!

Debby Goes Shabby said...

Jann

Absolutely adorable, your runner is a great repurpose you will always treasure. So much vintage love!

Debby
Debbygoesshabby.blogspot.com

Linda Nelson said...

Just over the top adorable! Thank you for hosting !

Creations By Cindy said...

Look at all of your total cuteness Jann! I love it. The little cupid babies are so darling. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Kathy said...

Your tablescape is beautiful. I love Kewpies but have not collected them--yet! Ilove how people are pairing aqua/turquoise with red. It's an unusual combo to me but I like it! I really enjoyed your tour

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Yeah Kewpies kinda creep me out haha but I LOVE everything else including the way you decorated that chandelier! Your table is beautiful!

Artsy VaVa said...

Thank you for hosting this fun Valentine party!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

O my!!! I just adore your Kewpies and that runner. You know how much I love red and your tablescape is to die for!! Adorable!! Love that sweet chandy too!! Thanks so much for hosting!! And thanks for always taking the time to stop by!!
Hugs,
Deb

Jeanne said...

Beautiful photos. I particularly like the plate photos you have, and I smiled when I saw one of the plates you used I have as well, (in my original Valentine hutch photo it's there) This party is great, just valentine related. Thank you for hosting!

My thrift store addiction said...

Love your pink crinoline dishes and have been following your darling kewpie doll quilt on instagram! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

Katie Mansfield said...

This is adorable. I'm adding my link. Thanks for hosting and thanks for linking to Keep In Touch.

vinod said...

Happy Valentines Images 2018 of love we express our feelings on this day to giving wishes , cards, gifts and images are best part to express love.

Shakeel said...


Hi very good post.

Thanks.

For Sharing.

Keep Up

Keep Up

The

Good

Good

Work

This Blog

Was Absolutely

Fantastic

Instagram