Super Bowl? I Hope it's Pyrex!!

Hello my friends,

I saw this photo on facebook and it made me laugh.  I thought I would share it with you along with my accidental collection of Pyrex.

This is a post that I originally shared March of 2017.



I've never really considered myself a Pyrex collector.


(notice that bird pattern?  I've never seen another piece like it and can't even find it on google.  Anyone know anything about it?)


I mean, I had two pieces of 'Spring Blossom' that were given to me at my wedding.

And then a friend gifted me with a piece of aqua 'Butterprint' that she picked up at a yard sale, because she knew I loved aqua.



As luck would have it, I started finding more aqua.  How could I pass them up?

Then, I found a red bowl.  Had to buy it because I love red!

Oh, and I forgot that about 6 or 7 years ago I bought two pink sets from my friend, Dolly's Aunt Bunny.  One was pink stripe and the other was 'Gooseberry'. I just thought they would be fun to have for Valentines and Spring.  Neither set was complete, but that didn't bother me.  After all, I'm not a collector.  (wink)


(I just added the large bowl.  Another score from Aunt Bunnies estate.  Even from up in heaven Aunt Bunny is tempting me to buy)

Aqua and pink Pyrex are two of the most popular.


I bought this set of fridgies the same time as the pink bowls.  I use them all the time for leftovers.  of course the aqua and red
 are my favorites.


Then one day I was at this funky vintage store called "Planted Earth".  I spied a white bowl with aqua triangles.  Oh my, I thought it was so cute, but I didn't know it was Pyrex.  It had no markings on the bottom.  But after showing it on my blog I found out that it was a promotional piece.  It's considered a 'hard to find' rare piece of Pyrex.  I paid $30 for it and it's current value is $115.  Wowzer!


From there I knew that it was becoming collectible, and many pieces are sought after.  So if I ran across a piece for a good price I would pick it up.  I've even sold some at the 'fleology' vintage flea that I participated in twice with my friend, Joanne.

I picked up this green set of 4 for a song just as they rolled them out on a cart at our local thrift.  I grabbed two and another lady grabbed two more.  Much to my surprise she smiled and said, "I grabbed these for you".  Wasn't that sweet? Believe me, things don't last long on those wheeled out carts!


The little red bowl I showed with the pastry blenders goes with this set.  I just got the yellow one from my last sale after a customer told me it was the large size in this 'Primary' set.  I didn't know, because; "I'm not a Pyrex collector".


The first estate sale I hosted at my home I had to buy this set of atomic dots.  You know me and my love for dots.  I was thrilled when we ran across them!




















I bought these two dots before I bought the atomic dots set.  I saw them on Vintage yard sale Utah.  I dished out $30 bucks each for them.  The polka dots are highly sought after and you have to pay up a little if you want them.  I need the largest green dot and smallest orange dot to complete the set.  I'm in no hurry, but I'm sure if I run across them I'll have to bring them home!

update:  I did buy the small orange dotty bowl.


I'm displaying this sweet thing with my Pyrex, but it's actually Fire King.  It's one of my very favs!


Here's the funny thing. . .I have never displayed my Pyrex all together.  I pull certain pieces out depending on what colors I am decorating with at the time.

A while ago I was invited by a facebook friend to join the fb group,
Utah Pyrex Pirates

It was started by Jenna Henson and presently has 585 members.

It's a place where they can share their finds, sale pieces, and associate with one another.

I've met many of them at my estate sales from my friend, Dolly's Aunt Bunnies estate.  I host the sales in my basement.  The gals are so sweet and certainly passionate about their collections.

Seeing the photos that they have shared on fb encouraged me to display my Pyrex pieces all together.  I was curious to see exactly how much I had. :)  Pulling it out a little at a time I know what I have, but I didn't realize just how much.  I decided that my open shelving in the basement would be the best place.

 
As you can see, I had much more Pyrex than I realized.
Quite a collection for a non Pyrex collector!  lol!
 
hugs,
 
Sharing with these fun parties:

18 comments

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann, you have a gorgeous collection of Pyrex!! I use to have a fair size collection but sold most of it. I have the Pink Gooseberry bowl set and it's my favorite! This was fun to read!!

Anonymous said...

This link shows a pattern that looks very much like your bluebirds/white casserole:
http://www.pyrexlove.com/bluebird-1959-oval-casserole-dish-series-943/glassware/

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Love that photo! You have some really great pieces of Pyrex. I only have a couple and I am at the stage where I am trying to UNcollect. lol Some of my china sets though I will never let go. xo Diana

Susie said...

Jann, Those are some amazing pieces of pyrex. Love all the pretty colors. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Jeanie said...

China is definitely my superbowl. Not football. Period. You have quite a collection!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Quite a collection you've put together Jann. Reminds me of my childhood.

Thelma said...

What a lovely collection you have. I love the turquoise one. I do have the yellow and red bowl. I am watching the Super Bowl as I type this. Have a good week.

Regina said...

Your Pyrex is gorgeous! I love vintage Pyrex pieces and for some reason they are hard to find here. The only Super Bowl I'm interested in is my "souper" bowl of soup I'm fixin to enjoy! Take care!

Margie from Toronto said...

Loved seeing your collection. I have a few aqua pieces and do keep my eyes open for additions. I was at a popular Flea Market in the Fall and found a 3 piece, covered set in the pink. My friend had to drag me away to keep me from buying it. I am downsizing and have settled on aqua/turquoise & red as my accent colours so it was best to walk away.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

What a wonderful collection and what a lovely way to display your Pyrex and a little bit of Fire King. I had to pin a few of your photos. Hugs.
Joy

Debby Ray said...

Now THAT'S my kind of super bowl...I LOVE your Pyrex collection! The aqua Butterprint reminds me of my mom...she had a whole set and I wish that I had gotten a piece of it when we cleaned out her house. I have been able to acquire a few pieces of solid color in different shapes and sizes at garage sales (dirt cheap) and Goodwill. You have a great collection and have displayed it all so well!

Linda W. said...

Ha, ha, that first cartoon made me laugh! My mom used to have a collection of Pyrex bowls. Love all the colors you have.

Rose L said...

I love the blue bird pattern bowl! I saw it here: http://www.dciegoods.top/vintage-pyrex-blue-bird-casserole-043-promo-with-lid-p-2860.htm
and also here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PYREX-BLUE-BIRD-1-1-2-QT-PROMOTIONAL-CASSEROLE-BAKING-DISH-W-LID-/401484584081
I just broke my last bowl a few days ago, the green etched style, and was so sad as had for so many years!

Creations By Cindy said...

Loving that cute remark! Made me chuckle this afternoon. You can't go wrong with Pyrex. I don't have as much I once did. Over the years a piece would get broken here and there. Or I would carry food it for a funeral only to never see it again. YEP! Those sorta things happen. You have a great collection. Girl, watch out...you worth some money with that sweet collection. LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

mary scott said...

Just love your display. I use only vintage bowls & bakeware in my kitchen. All your decorated Pyrex is so cute.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love the variety of colors and patterns you have. They all look wonderful on your open shelves!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Love your non-collection. It is very impressive.

Sandi Magle said...

Jann, for some reason, my 1960's memories of the blue bird pyrex...I think might have been a supermarket promotion series. Around 1968 I collected pieces of a similar green pattern to give as gifts to my mom and mother-in-law. We were broke, both in college, and they were given as premiums for spending so much money (stamps) in a month at the grocery store. This was either the SuperValue chain or a Piggly Wiggly chain in the midwest. Pieces I remember were handled-stemmed coffee glasses, small casserole dishes, covered refrigerator containers, a double vegetable bowl, and bowls. That's all I can remember. My mom-in-law still has her glasses, in her china cabinet, lol. I know I broke the double vegetable bowl at my mom's.

This is when Corning Ware came out with the country patterns and I think Pyrex was the cheaper alternative...that just shows how old I am...lol.

Instagram