A redo and a Patriotic thing, or two. . .

 
 
Hello my friends,
I have this large blue cabinet in our entryway.
The inside of it is brown stain.
 
I have been thinking for some time that I would like to paint it white.  Problem is. . .once I do there was no going back.
 
This photo was taken in '2012', when I shared
It's a bit blurry, but it's all I could find.

 


 
Well, I took the plunge, and I'm so glad I did!
 
All of my vignettes that use to get lost inside with the stained background , now seem to pop.


Of course I gave it a good sanding to match it's time worn look.
I've filled it with my collection of old thermoses.  What says summer more than a picnic with a plaid thermos?  Nothing, if you ask me.  :)
 
I've added touches of Americana.  I added red buttons to an old bingo card.  Simple, but fun!  I call this little guy my scary Uncle Sam.  If you look at him closely, his face is a bit scary.  The bottle is an eye spy game that the grands love playing. 


 This little bean bag Uncle Sam has been in my collection for years.  The wooden heart rag basket is one that I painted eons ago.  Back in my tole painting days.  


 
We always need a flag or two added.  The pump thermos is one of my favorites.  I picked up the little colonial doll in CO last year.

 
 A patriotic bird is hitching a ride on the Liberty train.
 
 
The wooden doll and banner are other creations I've made in years past.  Some things I just never tire of.

 
Who doesn't love a patriotic Humpty Dumpty?  (wink)  The top one was purchased and I made the bottom one.
He sits atop a plaid portable picnic table.  I decided to leave it folded up.  The giant bell was a $4 thrift find.
 
 
 


This is what the cabinet looked like at first. 
 

 
I decided that the bike wheel needed a flag.


 
 And I added a special flag to the side of the cabinet.  This flag was placed on my step fathers grave.  He was a dear man and the only father I ever knew.


Here it is after I finished tinkering with it.  At least for now.  

 
and again, this is the before.
 
 
What do you think, do you like the interior painted white?
 
hugs,
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:

13 comments

Leslie said...

It looks so good Jan! If my girls could see your décor.. They always tell me that our house is like an "I Spy" book because I have so many random whimsy things around ~ They would love your house!!! You are the queen of whimsy!

Kim said...

Oh yes, all your whimsical whimsies do pop with the inside of the cabinet painted white. You truly do have the funnest collections, Jann.

Susie said...

Jann, The new paint job, does make your displays show up better. I like it. You sure have some wonderful things. I love those red plaids. I like the quilts hanging on the ladder too. Blessings to you and yours, xoxo, Susie
p.s. Happy Father's Day to your hubby.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Yes Jann, the paint in the back does make everything pop!! Your displays are always so creative, and I love seeing how you put things together. Your homemade humpty dumpty is just darling! I love it all!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I do love the white wash on the inside. I love all of your collectibles and I have quite a few of the same ones. You have inspired me to find them and add them to my summer display.

Rose L said...

Hard for me to accept that July is around the corner...already!!! I will be another year older, but not in my heart. I am 25 in there!!

Anonymous said...

Thank You for this lovely patriotic post.
Marion and Marilyn

Carol said...

I love it and I do think that it makes the contents pop! You are good at decorating. I need to declutter and then consider doing some nice displays like this.

Sandi Magle said...

Light colors advance...dark tones recede. It's always the balance. I love your cabinet, and you are right, your vintage will always look fresher surrounded by a bit of washed white.
I love your assortment of 'vintage' for the summer. I'm one of those people that think red is underrated and should be used in bits ALL the time.

Gina said...

It looks wonderful, Jann! Everything shows up so nicely now. I love all your patriotic goodies, too. Scary Uncle Sam is my favorite!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann.
LOVE how you styled this beautifully re-finished cabinet!! Your vintage pieces are just lovely!!! I adore your banner!!
Hugs,
Deb

Decor To Adore said...

I love the interior painted white! Everything just pops now. Such a happy and patriotic grouping.

Jeanie said...

Jann, this is so darned cute -- I just love it. And everything does stand out so well -- lots of pieces but they all work!

Instagram