A Walk About Wyoming. . .

 
Hello my friends,
Do you ever get that feeling that you just gotta get away from it all?
 
A couple weeks ago that's how I felt, so hubby and I decided to get the heck out of Dodge.
 
 

 
We only had a couple of days because I had a Dr's appointment on Tuesday.  So we settled on a drive up beautiful Mirror Lake Highway and into Wyoming.
 
We love to hike, but knowing that I'd better not overdo we settled for a short one to a couple of beautiful lakes.  I'll share them at a later time.
 
We continued up Mirror Lake highway and ended up in Evanston. We spent the night and the next morning took a little walk about the historic district.
 
Don't you just love the old time feel?
 
Old advertising on buildings.
 
 
 
 
Awnings with a home town feel.

 
And wonderful architecture.

 
We loved this fun telephone booth.  Hubby was saying, "happy Monday morning".


Somebody sure had a cool ride!

 
Of course, I couldn't help but notice the pretty planters
around town.
 
 
There were three of these wagons.  How fun!  I would have liked to have hitched one to our car and pulled it on home.  :)
 

My only disappointment was that Second Hand Rose thrift shop was closed.  There were no hours listed on the door.  We waited until 10 hoping the owner would show up.  :(

 
From there we drove to Kemmerer where we visited the first J.C. Penny's store.  They call it the Mother Store.
 
 
Inside there were fun displays all around the store.
 
Clothing owned my Mr. Penney, himself.
 

The original cash register.
 




The coolest thing was this pulley system that they used to send money upstairs.

 
from Kemmerer we visited Fossil Butte National Monument.  We toured the visitors center and then stopped at a picnic ground and
had lunch.
 



On our way home we drove through the Idaho/Utah border past the gorgeous blue waters of Bear Lake.
 

 
It rejuvenated my soul to get away.  Even if it was for just a couple days.  Hope you get to get away now and then!
 
hugs,
 
I'll be sharing with these fun parties:

20 comments

Art and Sand said...

What a fun little getaway - I love cute old towns.

Patti said...

Like you, I am a Western gal. We are in Idaho, but we love to go over to Wyoming. We love Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, and we love Cody. Have stayed in Rock Springs and Rawlins too. Oh, and visited the territorial prison in Laramie. Such fun things to do out west!!

Blessings,
Patti @ Celebrating Our Days

Susie said...

Jann, I loved seeing Mr. Penney's things. That town was cute. Glad you enjoyed your get away. Blessings for a good Dr. report. xoxo, Susie

happyone said...

What a great walk about.
Since we have Happy Trails I never feel like I have to get away anymore. I feel like I live a vacation. : )

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love getaways and old towns! Fun time!

csuhpat1 said...

So very cool and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Oh yes, this gal loves that old time feel! So happy you and your husband were able to get away from it all and enjoy some new sights. That cupboard in the second hand store.....that would have had to come home with me. Take care, lovely Jann.

Granny Marigold said...

Hi, I'm just visiting via Happy@Home's blog.
Looks like you had a fun get-away. I enjoyed the pics.

cloches and lavender said...

Loved the wagon, how pretty.

Enjoyed seeing Jcpenney store. Very near.

Cindy

NanaDiana said...

What a fun trip. I would have loved to haul one of those wagons home, too. That is really interesting about he original Penney's store. I had no idea the chain originated there. Hope you have a wonderful, blessed Sunday- xo Diana

Rita C at Panoply said...

I love road trips, Jann, esp when the Mr. suggests them. I wish we were closer to exploring more of the west. Your trip looked like great fun. Love the Mother JCP store relics!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I love road trips. I try to talk Dan into day trips on the weekends. Seeing that JCPenney store was so interesting. I had no idea that the JCPenney stores began there. Our store must have been a copy of it- the entryway and even the stairs and balcony area are exactly like it. Ours is a bookstore now since they built a new store at our mall but at least all the original entryway and interior is still the same.

Linda W. said...

Looks like a wonderful short trip. I had no idea the first JC Penneys was in Wyoming.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Nice getaway! JC Penney is probably one of my favorite stores because of their great deals so I would love to see the Mother Store! Glad to hear you were rejuvenated!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Sounds like a fun getaway. I've been to Wyoming once for a work conference. It is beautiful country. Glad you had a good time.

Rose L said...

It is always good to get away to escape. Spice up the mundane! Too bad the second hand store was not open. I escaped to the Oregon coast for a couple days. It will be a longer trip next time. My boyfriend has a coast cottage and he wants me to help him decorate it! He had once had renter in it for 2 yrs and they toe the place up. So he had to have all new carpet put in and the wood floors refinished. Next will be paint and decorating and eventually doing something with the kitchen. I am excited about helping! It will be fun!

Creations By Cindy said...

Awesome pictures. And yes dear friend, I know what you mean about needing to get away at times. Since our family beach vacation is coming up end of the week Marty and I decided a few ago to get way alone for 3 days to the beach. We all need time to ourselves as well as family. Looks like you had a great time. So glad. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love exploring new locations here in the west. Western Wyoming is so scenic

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
What beautiful scenery!! I really loved the town which is so charming and was thrilled to see the first J.C. Penney store!! How cool is that!! I am an avid Penney's shopper so that was a lot fo fun seeing their first store!! Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!!
Hugs,
Deb

My thrift store addiction said...

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

Instagram