Feelin Sheepish. . .

Hello my friends,
A recent purchase of a sheep canvas got me feelin sheepish.
 
I have had a thing for sheep ever since I spied a darling one on Debra's blog, Common Ground clear back in '2013'.  It was instant love and I just had to have one!
 
 
How do I remember the date so well, you ask?  It's because we traveled to spain and walked 1/3 of the Camino.  From there we went on into Portugal.  I was on a quest to bring home a sheep.  I thought for sure I would find at least one.  But, much to my dismay; no sheep were to be found.
 
But shortly after that I started finding them here and there.
 
My first sheep was the cast iron one on the left side.  I picked it up at a local restaurant/deli called Kneaders.
 
 
I'm not sure where my new canvas will end up, but for now I decided to use it on our family room mantle.  After I finished decorating the mantle I decided to start countin sheep. 
I was very curious as to just how many I have.
 
I corralled them all in my chippy printers box.
Let's take a closer look, shall we?  (wink)
 
 
My friend, Joanne knew I was on a quest for sheep.  She gifted me one of her darling German ones for Christmas that year.
 
 
Another sweet friend, Paula Pollyanna Reinvents gave me these three cute triplets.
She said they weren't really her style.  Oh my, I love them!

 
After that they seemed to be popping up every now and then at thrift shops.  I'm sure some of them are pieces from a Nativity.
The little black one was bought at a flea market, Vintage Whites.  The bottom one on the right is chalkware, a thrift find.  It's one of my favorites.
 
 
The one with the black face was an ornament from Joanne's.  I simply cut off the string.

 
The two in the middle are bobble heads and made of cellulite.  I found them at an estate sale.
 
 
Paula also gifted me this candy dish.  The sheep bell was a favor from sweet Laura at one of our craft group dinners.
 
The two little ones on the top shelf are a resin.  Have you been counting?  :)

 
Now back to the mantle.  I know you've seen my mantle decorated at least 1,000 times, but I just couldn't wait to display my sheep painting.  Besides there's a few fun stories to tell.
 

I bought this large sheep at a fun shop called, Busy Biddy quite a few years ago.  My friend, Joyce gifted me the sheep bell one year for Christmas so I added it to her neck.
 

The angle of this photo made me laugh.  Looks like one nosey sheep!!

 
Dolly and I found the wool carders one day while going through her Aunt Bunnies estate.  She opened them up and saw the fibers inside.  Having no idea what they were, she said, "gross, and tossed them in the garbage".  I quickly grabbed them out and said, I've been wanting a pair of these.
 

 
Here they are in all their grossness.  :)  I actually love the bits of wool.  How about you?  Would you clean them out?


 
I added cotton balls from Décor Steals to a $2 thrift find jug.
 
 
I added another bunch of cotton that was picked from my friend, Amanda's granddaughter's farm to an old wooden bucket.  I realize that we get wool from sheep, not cotton, but I like the texture it brings. 
The reproduction sheep mold was purchased on our trip to Texas last May.

 
I placed an old bottle inside of this reproduction scoop and placed it on the other end of the mantle.
 
 
So there you have it.  Have you been countin sheep?  I know that my friend, Rita from Panoply has a thing for sheep too.  Anyone else out there have it BAAd?
 
 
And here's my most recent find.
 
Squeaky toys.  Now that's a whole other world of collecting. 
 
 
I'll leave you with this photo of a Baby Doll Sheep.
 
 
Oh my, if I was only 20 years younger and lived on a farm!
 
 
 
hugs,
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties::

20 comments

Stacey said...

You have a great collection now, Jann. I always admire Debra's sheep too. We have two or three here at our house but my husband loves to play with them. He stands them on their heads and does silly things like that. :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

LOVE seeing your little herd displayed. I'm pretty sure you have more sheepers than I do! those wool carders are wonderful. I have a set that were my husband's grandfather's. great save from the trash bin! So glad to get you started on your collection! xoxo Deb

Rita C at Panoply said...

Yes, I'm a sheep hoarder...oops, I mean herder!!! Who's counting, right?! Yours are ALL so adorable, but I'm love that tiny trio, and those bobble heads! Your new print is the perfect family portrait, hehe. We all need a little shepherd collie now.

Susie said...

Jann, I like your sheep collection. You have many different kinds. That is always interesting. Then to have the wool carders , wow. Your mantle is always decorated so sweetly. Our neighbor used to keep sheep thru summer to mow for him...they can be stinky. LOL Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Debby in KS said...

My friend in college had 3 pet sheep! Their names? Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy! When I saw your pic, I thought of a picture of them in her dorm room.

mimi_62 said...

What a sweet post!!

Jeanie said...

Ah, one must never feel sheepish about a fascination for sheep. I'm part of the crowd, too, though I don't have so many and it's not quite as much an obsession but yes, they are wonderful. (Most of mine pop out at Christmas but I like that you have yours now. I think I might have to reconsider when I pack away next year!).

I love the diversity of your collection -- all kinds, from paintings to the sweetest little wee ones. And wonderfully displayed. Well, this post is a wonderful way to begin my day!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann you have the sweetest collection of sheep! Adorable and I love the new painting. I stopped counting them, but it's a goodly many!

Sandi Magle said...

What a fun post. We all have a passion...whether we know it or not. Love the box full of sheep. I have one---a wool ornament confection---that 'ba-a-s', "Im not fat, I'm fluffy."

Which reminds me, I'm more than my body---grins!

Rose L said...

You sure do have a lot of sheep!!! Baa-utiful!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

You and Debra influenced my sheep collection. Look for some on IG soon. Your collection is wonderful.

Connie said...

Hello Jann, it is always fun to see what inspires you and how you allow it to fuel your imagination. Love the wool carders and I would never take that wool out of them . . . it adds so much charm. Nice painting, too.
Well, another lovely post . . . I love your blog.
Connie :)

MamaHen said...

I Love Love Love your sheep collection! So fun. Now I want to start collecting something. We have lots of chickens here so maybe I could start a chicken figurine collection


Thank you for sharing.

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my! What an adorable sheep collection. Love the picked cotton. That canvas piece is beautiful. I love how you place things together. So pretty. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your collection is beautiful, Jann. We see sheep here in Colorado on ranches in South Park. If you want to see lots of sheep, visit rural Ireland! I saw so many adorable lambs in Northern Ireland one spring, all along the beautiful Antrim coast.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jann: I love you sheep collection and the new portrait is adorable. There is nothing cuter than a baby lamb, except maybe a baby goat, actually all babies are the cutest things. Thanks for your visit to me and feel better wishes..I will be back to party tomorrow..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy P.S. The Country Sampler issue is this month, July 2018.

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

Jann, I'm a bit BAA BAA on sheep, too. Rita recently gifted me a sheep plate, but I've got a collection that's slowly growing. I think Mr. Cottage is glad we're a tad older because otherwise we might be raising sheep, if left to me. Fortunately there are three farms I pass by occasionally that raise sheep; and I've been known to stop with my camera and larger lens. Your canvas is darling! I've seen so many great paintings of sheep, but because I paint, I can't bring myself to buy any. I better hurry and get my own sheep art painted.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love this post and especially the chippy printers box with the sheep! It spoke loudly to my vintage loving heart! I love a collection where every piece has a story to it.

Sandra @ Dinner at Eight said...

I love to see what others obsess about, although I'm not sure you've got enough sheep to have an obsession, lol! They're so darn cute and I like the way you've brought them together.

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, your sheep collection is adorable! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

Instagram