What’s in a Name?

Today as I was planting some pots for Spring my mind started to wander as I thought about the name of each plant.

For example, the pansyDSCF0433

When we think of the word pansy we think of someone or something that is wimpy and that doesn’t have a lot of strength.

Not so for these little guys!  The pansies I planted last year withstood all the munching that the deer did and came back with a passion.

They were the prettiest pansies I ever did see!

Hope the same holds true for this year.

And what about the primrose?

DSCF0439

Where that name came from I have no idea!  It certainly doesn’t look like a rose and there are no thorns to be had.  However, I can sort of get the prim part.  It does look a bit prim and proper.

Then there is the Kale

DSCF0440

What exactly is a Kale?  The only thing that I can think of is one of my son Dalan’s best friends.  Kale with a C Brown.  In high school he was a fun loving kid who always told me that I was his 2nd mom.  He even gave me a 12 pack of Diet Coke for Mothers Day one year.  What more could a mom ask for?

Now that we are on the subject of names, how about Olson?

There are a few famous females with that last name.

Remember the Olson twins? Mary Kate and Ashley.

How about that mean old Mrs. Olson on ‘Little House on the Prairie’?

And what about that sweet Swedish Mrs. Olson? She had us convinced (even if we didn’t drink coffee) that Folgers was the best because it was mountain grown.

Oh, and yes she is the inspiration behind the title of my blog.

Well, enough about wondering how plants got their names.

As for me, I hope I can do the Olson name proud and have a bit of a pansy in me.

DSCF0434

I didn’t even mention the anemone.  Really, what can you say about a name like that?

DSCF0438

DSCF0437

DSCF0442

DSCF0441

I can’t wait until everything has grown and is filled in.  Wondering what those little shavings are?  It’s a bit of Irish Spring.  A neighbor told me that the deer don’t like the smell.  I tried some last year on a few perennials.  It seemed to have kept them at bay.  If not, hopefully the plants will enjoy a bit of Ireland.

1 comment

Peg said...

You are so cute, you made me smile. The flowers are beautiful. Love you! Oh and thank you so much for the beautiful birthday gift. Shellie dropped it by last night. you are so good to me. I am so thankful for friends like you.

Instagram