Where Bloggers Create. . .Changes in the Craft Room

It was a year ago when we had just finished our basement and I ran across  My Desert Cottage and  Where Bloggers Create party.

I was so excited to share my new room and to visit the rooms of amazing woman who love to ‘create’ as much as I do!

Although some things are still the same, there have been quite a few changes in my space. Just a warning, lots of photos today!

Let’s start with the easiest change that I did just yesterday.

DSC02454

I have this laundry hanger in the corner of the room I found it at a damaged goods store.  I thought it was perfect since my craft table is an old laundry table.  It held  a few photos,  some of my traveling finds, and cards that I love but other than that it was ‘plain Jane’.

I decided to pull some of my lovely pieces of lace and a few fabric scraps and add to it.  Wow, it went from blah to oh-la-la!  Lol!  And the fun thing is, I can still use the lace for a project if I need to.

(okay, just wondering does anyone but me see a bird fluttering it’s wings made from the flash at the bottom of that post card?)  Love it!

DSC02453
Really dressed up that corner don’t you think?
DSC02455

It’s a little hard to see hiding behind that lace, but I added a small board with hooks to house my old yard sticks. Always on the hunt for more.

DSC02452

I’ve been wanting to make a ruffled liner for my  cart turned wrapping paper station.  Hasn’t happened.

DSC02456

This room still continues to showcase my love for vintage.  My camera collection has grown extensively.  Some are my daughter, Kylees.

DSC02428
I made the banner in a class at my hairdressers shop and the sweet ball garland I

bought from a blog friend, Holly from Cutie Pie Cottage

DSC02429
Hanging on the wall next to the shelf is a chippy heart made from moldings.  It further emphasizes my love for vintage and creating.

DSC02438

A fun book about the year I was born and my lucky #7.

DSC02483

More treasures have made their way into my soda box crate display.  A collection of three O’s (for Mrs. Olson) have now been joined by some vintage finds.  An old oil can, paint brush, 2 folding rulers, a bottle of cement glue, and a date stamp.  The binoculars are a reminder of how I love to ‘spy with my little eye’ for vintage smalls.  Wasn’t sure what the lettering set on top was when I ran across it, but my savvy engineer husband knew it was once used for drafting.

DSC02430

I know that many of you are like me and want to shout, “BINGO’ when you find another treasure!

DSC02433

Here’s without a doubt the biggest change in the craft room.  The addition of this wonderful cabinet.  Oh my did my heart swoon when I ran across this baby at the same damaged goods store.  It was exactly what I had hoped to find.  It’s not vintage, a reproduction; but I love it just the same!  Anything with numbers works it’s way right into my heart!

DSC02464
The wonderful thing about it is that even though it looks like it’s lots of little cubbies  it isn’t.  The top 27 cubbies really open up to 9 drawers.  The 16 bottom ones open up to three cabinets.  Perfect for holding my three filing cabinets filled with paper and scrapbook packets.
The top is filled with craft items and I added a sweet paper flower garland made by my hair dresser’s daughter.

DSC02461

DSC02457

I always pick up any type of jar that I find at our local thrift shop.  Great for those little things.

t
My ribbon shelf found at T.J. Maxx, an architectural piece, and my large letter ‘O’ hang above.

DSC02463
DSC02435

I found this sweet  storage ottoman at Target for only $40.  Love it!  And the darling bird pillow, another creation from my hairdresser.  What can I say, she’s a talented lady and her prices are so reasonable.

DSC02436

I found these two chairs on clearance at Pier 1 for $54 ea.  They were originally marked over $200.  Someone had returned them because they had started to fray a little on the edge.  I would have returned them also had I paid that price.  But I brought them home put a little fray check on the edges and they are perfect!  Probably not what I would have picked out as far as fabric, but when I got them home I found that they went great with my mustard sliding barn type doors.

DSC02465

The walls are painted a very light grey and I wanted the pop of color with the mustard.  From there I added a few red and aqua accents.  The floral in these chairs took on all of those colors.

DSC02468

I never close these doors because, let’s face it, craft storage is just darn cute!
I love using vintage items for storage such as this old filing drawer and sugar holders.

craftroom storage 1

But I don’t shy away from anything new either.  Especially if it is ruler themed or numbered.

Ruler Themed Storage

DSC02476

DSC02481

Jars and Basket Craft Storage

Daddy’s desk that I gave a makeover still sits in the right corner of the room.

DSC02486

More visitors have left their ‘John Henry’ on my notepad.
DSC02450

My old typewriter still holds the ‘create’ banner, but I’ve added the found ribbon tin, the red ink bottle, and the #7 block.

DSC02449

A dressed up crate sits on top of an old wicker table.  Inside are finished scrapbook pages (that I pull out and look out every now and then) and my mom’s scrapbook.

DSC02446

DSC02443

A $5 thread caddy was found at a flea market in St. George, UT.

DSC02440

DSC02442

I made these simple curtains out of sheer mustard fabric found on clearance at Hobby Lobby.  Didn’t want to block out the light in this basement craft room!  Tied them up with burlap.  Easy peasy!  Hard to get a good pic.

DSC02447

Now after all that, where do I create?  I’ll be honest with you, if there are more than two of us creating we end up in the upstairs kitchen, or outdoors.  But still, I wouldn’t trade my laundry room turned craft table for nothing!

DSC02466

Wooden pant  hangers sitting on top waiting to be Modge Podged with book pages.

DSC02422

A handy tray holds crafting items.  Don’t know why, but I kind of have a thing for these little swans.  The small deer will find their way into a Christmas snow scene.

DSC02487

More storage sits on the end of the table.  The vintage boxes hold brads and paper.  The blue basket holds more paper and of course I had to buy the box labeled projects.  It’s mustard colored!

DSC02419

DSC02420

Time sure does fly when we’re having fun!

DSC02423

I had to share this cute pin cushion one of my quilting friends made.

DSC02424

This little fairy sits by my side when I craft.  Made by another crafty friend.

DSC02421

A rustic metal cart at the end of the table holds supplies and items ready to be put in their proper place.  A clothespin bag works great for paper scraps.

DSC02418

Now for the big picture.

DSC02489

DSC02488

That’s a long post.  But you know how it is and your creative space.  We just have to pack it all in. Hee-hee!

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

hugs,
Jann

This post was featured at Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday.  Thanks so much Kerryanne!

I will also be sharing with these other lovely parties:

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

French Country Cottage for Feathered  Nest Friday

Thoughts from Alice for Sundays at Home

Savvy Southern Style for Wow

51 comments

Donna Heber said...

OMG! Jann your craft room is amazing! I just love how you are displaying your lace and I do see the bird fluttering it's wings :-)

You have so many vintage treasures and those barn style doors are perfect! Nothing like a good old fashioned typewriter. Thank you for sharing it all with us and for the grand tour. Hugs - Donna

Gayle said...

Sure enjoyed your craft room update - could you come over and tidy mine up - and organize it too - please? LOL Left a comment on your FB page before reading your post - guess I was mistaken about the drawers

Michelle H said...

Your room is so beautiful! I won't have my own room until my girls are all moved out, and since the youngest one is two, I have a while! Instead, I'm spread between the dining area and half the kitchen. We've been going through a major clean/purge/organized for months now, and the other day, while going through more of it, my 11 year old son says(sarcastically),"We should just get a shed and pile all of your sewing stuff and craft stuff in there!" He was briefly taken aback when I said I'd be thrilled to have my own craft shed, haha. Then he remembered all the craft sheds I've looked at on blogs and in magazines, and now sincerely wishes he could get me one - he is, in actuality, a very sweet kid! I do see the bird fluttering it's wings, that is so awesome! Everything is just wonderfully displayed and organized, what a perfect place to create!!

farmhouse-story said...

i LOVE the cubbies, jann! i have the same ikea lamps over my table this year:) awesome studio!

Susie said...

That is a great place to craft and create. I love your camera collection too. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jann,
Oh my what a great craft room. Sooooo much space and so organized. Love your vintage camera collection.
Have a great week end.
Kris

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

How lovely. I adore the trim heart....I really like that!!

cynthia lee designs said...

Jann...what a great room to craft in!! I love the laundry hanger with the pieces of lace. Yes, I see a little bird fluttering it's wings from the camera flash. I love, love, love your cabinet...that is an awesome piece. I have the same bird pincushion, but my bottom piece is blue instead of brown. Love your table too!! Your creative space is awesome!!
~Cindy

sweet violets said...

What a super great craft room!!! You did it up real nice.....LOVE the sliding barn doors and the main craft table.....lucky you, those chairs fit right in!!! Enjoy!!!

mimi_62 said...

What a beautiful post. Love it all!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a unbelievable space! I love it and especially all the vintage displays. Your new addition looks so old, best of both worlds looks old but new and clean. Great space to create!

boulderdamcottage said...

Hi Jann wow where do I begin! What a lovely room big, bright, full of so many treasures, it is GRAND! We have the same things, I was laughing! addiction to yardsticks, oh and I lined my roll around cart with a burlap bag! it just fit i there :) typewriters, oh my way to many to mention here but I will be following you and signing up for your emails today! thanks for sharing, my head hurts from all the ideas you shared! thank you! hugs and a great day! kat =^.^=

Rose L said...

That is one serious craft room!!! I hope when I get settled into a new place I can organize my small amount of crafting, mostly scrapbook stuff.

Kris said...

Oh my gosh Jann, what a fabulous creative space!!! I love what you did the hanging lace! And that craft table is just too darn cute!
Lots of inspiration in this post!! sure wish I could come and craft with you here!!
xo kris

jenclair said...

So many ideas here! I especially love the "chandelier" with laces and cool items kept visible!

June said...

I LOVE every inch of this room Jann! What a beautiful space to create your magic in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs from here...

Unknown said...

Your space is gorgeous Jann! I would want to be in there all the time!

Tamara said...

Hi Jann..
I'm fairly new to your blog. Your room is so creative and unique. So much to look at and enjoy. Simply wonderful.
Blessings to you!

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, your space is delightful! Love, love, love the decorative hanger you created. I use those berry baskets for storage too :) Blessings,Cecilia

The Old Parsonage said...

Creative and so very you Jann! Loved the peak inside. I'd love to be in there crafting right along side you.

I didn't get my act together in time to play along this year.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Leann

Debra Howard said...

Such a beautiful and happy place to create.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
I came by to thank you for your visits and was so pleasantly thrilled to see your creative space!! So many wonderful things and full of so much inspiration!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Bohemian said...

YES, I saw the Bird 'Flash' fluttering it's Wings... how Surreal! And your Creative Space has so many things that I Love about it too! Thanks for Sharing your Personal Sanctuary and the Essence of your Creative Spirit Imparted to the Room!

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Anonymous said...

Jann you have such a wonderful studio!!! All those glorious drawers, cameras and my all time favourite Underwood Typewriter. They are popping up everywhere at the party. Thanks so much for the tour. Karen.x

Anonymous said...

Your creative space has so many fun and wonderful things in it! I love the lace chandelier you created and the heart made from moldings and that laundry room table turned craft table...wow it's the best!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Kathy said...

I loved seeing your creative space and all your collected treasures. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

Karen Valentine said...

Jann your studio is Fabulous with a capital F!! I dont blame you for loving the multi drawer piece. I would love it too!!!! Thank you so much for joining the party again and letting enjoy it for another year!!
xo,
Karen

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Jann, Your studio is wonderful. I see that we do not only share the passion for vintage treasures but also for numbers. Your laundry hanger is very pretty and I adore the chippy board next to it. The heart made from molding is gorgeous! Thank you for the lovely tour. I enjoyed my visit.
Julia

GranthamLynn said...

I got bogged down on those sliding barn doors! Love them! I loved the entire space but just forgot what I saw after those/well before those doors! I loved the wine cork coaster was it? Gave me an idea. You really do have a beautiful space! Thank you for sharing it!
My space is tiny and waaaay different but you might enjoy seein' it come by for a visit!
Have a beautiful day.
Sherry

Deborah Montgomery said...

Love this Jann! I'm so glad I didn't try to do anything for this party b/c I'm getting so many good ideas. Love all your beautiful touches, inc. the typewriter. What a magical place to create!

BECKY said...

So pretty Jann!! What a lovely place to create! Love those doors, too! Just so cool!

Have a lovely week!
Becky

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You have a fantastic space, Jann! I would be very comfortable creating in it. Love the chairs you found at Pier 1. They do go so great with the mustard color in your space. You've got some great storage pieces and your closet looks like it would be a lot of fun to go through!

Vicki Boster said...

Jann-- I am in awe of your beautiful creative space. I don't think I could name a favorite thing- it's all so shabby beautiful! You have really worked hard to breath life into this amazing room. Those pier one chairs are fabulous!! Every photo is stunning. Wow-- just wow!
Vicki

Tea in the Library said...

Wonderful space Jann. So many great elements. I am impressed with your curtains they look fabulous.

Maureen Hayes said...

What a beautiful space! I can't pick one favorite thing because there were so many lovelies that caught my eye. Thank you so much for showing us all around. You are blessed to have such a wonderful crafting retreat.

Anonymous said...

This is an AWESOME craft space - it looks like a great place to craft in. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sarah said...

Fun to see your creative space. Amazing!
Your storage space alone is incredible. What a wonderful place.

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Jann, I love everything about your creative space! That cabinet that looks like cubbies is just awesome and I adore your desk/table. This space really has your fun personality!

Unknown said...

I really like the laundry hanger with the vintage lace and photos. Dying to find one for myself. The banner is gorgeous!I too swooned when I saw your cabinet, what a find. I enjoyed my visit today to your creative workplace.

Art and Sand said...

I am in awe and envy of your amazing space.

I have to pin a bunch of your ideas to make some fun changes in my space.

Make Something Every Day!

Tammy...ClothandPatina said...

Your creative space is absolutely amazing! I love love all of your storage pretties and furniture pieces! Your faux card catalog is beyond wonderful!


Thank you so much for sharing!
Tammy

Unknown said...

What an amazing creative space. I love the barn doors. Thanks for inviting us in. I am Janet from Graceful Rose.

Unknown said...

Fantastic space! I so love your work table and those oh so vintage chairs, fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Anonymous said...

Sooo many awesome touches and Oh! it gives me a little craft geek thrill to see one of my garlands in your awesome space!

I'll be referring back to this post since I may be getting my own craft room soon as it appears I may now have an empty nest!

Brooke said...

What an incredible space! Creativity flows here, you can tell! Thanks so much for sharing!

Maureen said...

Jann, what an incredible room! You and I have similar tastes; those file drawers are AWESOME!

That table, your collections, those great vintage finds... love it all!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

It's hard to pick a favourite piece or section amongst your eclectic mix of vintage gorgeousness Jann. Thank you for sharing your creative space at Shabbilicious Friday as well. I'm delighted to be featuring it at tomorrow's party.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

mitchiesmom said...

What a gorgeous room!!! You have such a great eye for every piece there, and a wonderful description of where and why as well!! I'm bookmarking this page - I will be back to "borrow" some of these fantastic ideas!! Also, will be back to visit your blogging as well!! Have a fantastic weekend!! I'm here from Savvy Southern Style's party!!

Liz said...

Now this is my kind of craft room space! I am just starting to make a craft room in the basement of our new house. I don't have near the space that you do! But you have given me so many wonderful ideas on to start decorating my new area! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

wow wee what a dream craft and art room - love everything about it...
HUgs

by sharing this craft room - you given me a lot of ideas.. thanks

Jennifer's Vintage Paperie said...

Fabulous! The zillion drawers piece is my absolute favorite! Thanks for sharing with us.

Instagram