Shiny and Brite. . .

 Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the Christmas season
 is upon us.
 
Three years ago I started collecting ornaments to make a wreath.  I knew I had enough, but never seemed to get around to making it.
 
Well, this year was the year!
Yup, a friend and I were talking and it seems that she had done the same thing.  So we got together and finally
"goterdone"!
 
 
I have a fairly nice collection of vintage 'shiny brites', but I didn't have the heart to glue them to a wreath.
 
There were only a few that I didn't mind using.
 
It was nice to do this with a friend, because we were able to swap ornaments.  She had picked up a box of new (reproduction) shiny brites at Home Goods after Christmas last year.  They worked great!  See that one with the green center?  It was one of them.
 
 
I used red, green, silver, and gold solid ones that I had gathered from thrift shops
 
There are so many wonderful tutorials out there showing how to make one of these wreaths, so I am not going to go into details.  :)
 
Basically we bought a circular (green colored) 12" round styrofoam wreath  We then wrapped it in red tinsel.  From there we glued med. size ornaments all around the center of the wreath.  If you use too large of ones, you will end up with hardly no center to speak of.  Then we glued larger ones all around the outside perimeter.  After that the fun begins and you just start filling it.  Gluing wherever there is contact with hot glue.
 
 
The ornaments with the touch of paint are old ones that I didn't mind using.  I also added a few vintage touches like the Santa light and glittery bells.
 



  
This little Santa is doing a happy dance that he made it
 onto the wreath!
 

 
And every Santa needs a Mrs. Claus.  I tucked a little candle next to her hand.

 
The Poinsettia  and stocking ornaments are other oldies.
 
This sweet gal is holding onto a bubble light.

 
The silver one is an old shiny brite and the other stripped one is a new one.  Hard to tell, right?  I tucked bits of tinsel in here and there for a little more bling.
 


This was such a fun project.  Can't wait to hang it for Christmas!  Although, I might mention that they are not the best wreaths to use outdoors.  With either heat or cold it can cause the glue to give way and the ornaments to pop off.
 
I'll enjoy mine inside!
 

 
Have you started decking your halls yet?
 
I've done a little in the basement, but the upstairs will wait until after Thanksgiving.
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing at these fun parties:
 
This post was featured at Monday Social.  Thank you ladies!
It was also featured at Let's Talk Vintage Thanks Jillian!
 
 
 
 

33 comments

Deb said...

It's beautiful, Jan. It certainly would put me in the Christmas spirit.

mimi_62 said...

What a conversation piece. I love It!!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That is so sweet and quite a keepsake! You did a beautiful job on it- love all the colors! I just put my tree up but it's not decorated. I will get into it more after Thanksgiving too.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

So pretty Jann! I made a wreath a few years ago and still love it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Joy Junktion said...

What a fun project and a great Happy wreath! So nice to have a friend to craft with so you can 'share' supplies! Love this! Blessings, Cindy xo

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, I adore vintage ornie wreaths and yours is really a beauty! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinned!

Betty said...

Hi Jann, I enjoyed this post, love how your wreath turned out. I'm pretty sure I received a santa like the one doing the happy dance from a classmate one year at a school Christmas party and gift exchange. I remember placing my santa on our tree every year when I was growing up. Hugs,

Unknown said...

I'll deck the halls at the end of this week, maybe! Gonna try to limit the clutter a little bit this year. We will see if I can accomplish that! Love your wreath, great job!

NanaDiana said...

Jann, I love it. I did see those ornaments at TJMaxx last year but, being in the "I don't need any more Christmas stuff" mode, I bypassed them. (darn it).
Your wreath turned out really great. I love it. xo Diana

Tamara said...

Yes..Christmas times a comin! and I can hardly believe it. Your wreathe turned out so cute. And with so many special little details. It always feels good to get something done that you've been thinking of for a long time. Have a wonderful week and a Happy Thanksgiving, Jann.

Hugs,
Tamara

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh Jann, your wreath is totally adorable! You did a great job with that!

quakerhillfarm said...

What a wonderful wreath and it looks so vintage! Love it.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

No decorating here yet. In fact, I didn't even get all my fall things. I usually get the itch to clean up fall on Thanksgiving night. Then, depending on my mood, I'll do a little cleaning and start putting out Christmas over the next few days.

I'm already into the instrumental Christmas music—not quite ready for words.

Your wreath came out great. I have a friend coming to spend Tuesday crafting with my daughter and I. Fun! I like your wreath. I'll bet it was great fun to make.

Talk to you soon!
Laura

Jeanie said...

This is SO fabulous! I've made one of these glass ball wreaths before but what I didn't do and think is such a fantastic idea was your wrapping the wreath in the tinsel. Sometimes it's hard to cover certain spots, given the ball shapes and the tinsel does the trick. Jolly good.

And it's gorgeous. I know what you mean about not using your real Shiny Brites -- I won't either. But there are lots of reasonably priced options and you found them. That reminds me -- I need to go to Home Goods.

And I'll start the day after Thanksgiving -- but I'm getting it ready to roll so it's just a matter of moving out, moving in!

Julie said...

I have made these in the past, also. I love your wreath with its different shapes of ornaments. The vintage charm is beautiful :)

Linda W. said...

Your wreath is so cool! What a great way to use old (or not so old) ornaments.

Pamela Gordon said...

Your wreath is beautiful Jann and I love the vintage Christmas ornaments but don't like the idea of glueing them to something either. I guess I wondered if the hot glue would crack the ornaments as they are so fragile. Did that happen to you? I have started decorating but am waiting for the renovations to be completed before I can finish. Our Thanksgiving was in October so I can go full steam ahead with Christmas!! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've collected a few of these over the years too and haven't been able to do anything with them. I may have to copy you. It's sure a wonderful way to enjoy them. Hugs, Diane

Rose L said...

I still have some of those that my mom passed down to me! cute wreath!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love it! I think I might have enough ornaments to make one for myself. I collected a bunch of Shiny Brites from a barn sale this summer to sell but not all are marked. I was reluctant to list them if they are not the real deal. Thanks for showing this because now I have a way to use them. I have a lot of little vintage stuff I can stick in between too. Love the idea of wrapping with red tinsel!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Hi Jann, love your wreath it is so shiny and bright! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your beautiful family. xx Jo

Katie Mansfield said...

This is precious. I'd love to see this at our Monday Social party. I've wanted to make one of these for a while.
https://katietreasures.blogspot.com/2016/11/monday-social-11.html

vivian said...

Love your wreath. Ive always wanted to make one also. I have a friend that has been making and selling them this year, but she has been using new ornaments. still very pretty.. but not quite the same!
have a great thanksgiving!!
almost time to get out those christmas decorations!
xoxo
vivian

Eilis@MyHeartLivesHere said...

Jan,
Your wreath is beautiful! I will be featuring it at Monday Social this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving.

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Your wreath turned out fabulous Jann. It's absolutely beautiful! I've wanted to make an ornie wreath for years too and just finished mine to be on the blog later. I can so relate to not wanting to glue certain vintage ornaments. I just couldn't do it.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Very pretty and festive, Jann! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sylvia said...

Jann, This is a great idea. A wonderful way to see those special ornaments all season long. Sylvia D.

Lucy said...

Just Love your vintage ornie wreath Jann. I found some pale aqua glass ornaments a few days at the thrift store and did a happy dance. Plan on making one of your famous tulle wreaths with them. Happy to join your party this week. ;o)

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Oh Jann I just love it... So cute with all of the little details!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Sparkle and nostalgia here. Those ornaments take me back to my childhod1 How lovely to see these photos.

Vintage & Co. said...

Jann, giving you a feature tomorrow morning!

Courtney said...

This is beautiful, I love the little tucked in Santa and Mrs! Happy Holidays!

https://www.vintagesouthernpicks.com said...

Jann, LOVE this wreath! So festive...I want to make one so I will start collecting! It's beautiful. Looks great too displayed against that distressed background.

Instagram