Upcycling Santa. . .

Hello my friends,
Craft group #2 met today and what a fun time we had!
 
Some of us attended, "Glitterfest", an up scaled artisan sale in Anaheim, CA last month.
 
There we saw lots of vintage Santas that had been upcycled.
 
 
That's when we decided it would be fun to do some upcycling of our own for our November craft day.
 
What does it mean to upcycle Santa?  To take him to a whole other level.  You know, dress him up, play with him a little.
 
If you ask 'google', they'll tell you this:
 
What Is Upcyling?
Upcycling is the process of converting old or discarded materials into something useful and often beautiful. For example: 
--Unraveling a wire clothes hanger to break into your car to rescue your keys = not upcycling
--Stretching out a wire clothes hanger then tying strips of a plastic bag around it to make a wreath = upcycling!

Upcycling gives an item a better purpose. And while jimmying the lock on your car to is giving that hanger a new purpose, it’s not necessarily better or more beautiful. And the mangled hanger is likely destined for the trash, which is the opposite intent of upcycling.
 
Ann and I had fun upcycling old Santa mugs.
 
 
We tucked in $2 trees from Wal-mart that we brushed with modge podge and sprinkled with glitter.
Then we added a few baubles.  Ann glued hers in like ornaments and I draped mine like a garland.  A flocked bell, red seam binding, and faux holly were added to the top.  I placed a knee hugger elf on the side and let him hold a shiny red ornament.
 
What a quick and easy upcycle!
 

 
Shirley covered a paper mache box with fun striped paper and added her dancing Santa. Using Sno Flock she stood him in a bed of snow.  glittery snowballs and wonderful icicle trim (also found at Wal-mart) add to the frosty feel.
 
 
I saw this idea at Glitterfest.  Knowing that I had a large tart tin I couldn't wait to play with it! 
 

I modge podged a piece of paper to the top of the tin.  I ended up pretty much covering it up.  :)  I found the sitting Santa last year in Oregon.  When I came across the little reindeer I knew Santa had to take him for a ride.  I gave the large tree the same treatment as the one in the Santa mug.  I also added a couple of bleached, and dyed pink bottle brush trees I made last year.  Shirley had the house in a tote that she called her, "crate o' crap".  Crate of fab crap if you ask me!  Ha, ha! The little tree was attached to the house and was a bright green.  I covered it in modge podge and then added teal green glitter.
To elevate the house I placed it on a mini tart tin that I covered with Sno-flock.  Tinsel, white glitter, and icicle trim were added around the edges.



 
I will place it on a candlestick, (or something) for a base.  Gotta find the perfect item!
 
Kimi was a girl with a mission. . .Using treasures from Shirley's tote she created all kinds of cute 'upcycles'.  She is in the process of moving and could not get to her own craft supplies.  Shirley was a doll to share so many fun goodies!
 




Yes, she created all of these in a matter of hours.  Her daughter owns a darling shop called, "Retro Betty's".  Kimi makes super cute things for her to sell there!
 
Upcycling is a great way to turn 'trash' into 'treasures'.  Not to mention how fun it is!!
 
hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Vintage Charm
Thoughts of Home

18 comments

Karie said...

Oh my goah Jann, what cute ideas for up cycling Santa's and any old unused Christmas decoration. I really like the Santa cups and the...oh shoot I like them all. It gives me some great ideas. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Karie.

Jeanie said...

I really needed to see this today. I need to think out of the past 24 hours and into my happy season. Your ideas are adorable -- the Santa cups are a wonderful treat. The trees would be cute in most cute mugs but putting them in the SO PERFECT Santa mugs really adds such a fabulous feel to them. I've been thinking of hosting a drop-in Christmas workshop to share supplies -- that's a great idea because I think I have some of those trees in the basement. (Doesn't everyone?!)

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, I love these cute projects! So many good ideas. Last year when going through my Christmas decor there was several things that I didn't really want to put out anymore but yet I couldn't quite part with them. Maybe I need to recycle too! Thanks so much for sharing such great inspiration. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love, love , love them all!
HUgs,
Deb

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are so cute! What a fun time you all had!

Unknown said...

I truly missed a fun filled day. I'm in awe at all your creative upcycled projects (treasures). And seriously, Kimi created all those??? She was on s mission!

GranthamLynn said...

Fun post. Great ideas. I hope you'll come over and link when
Christmas At My House goes live on Thanksgiving Day at noon!
It will be over here where The Fabulous Fall Party is still going on!
http://mychristmasjourney.blogspot.com/
Come over and join my parties!

Cheryl said...

Great ideas and they are all so cute!!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

These all are such fun ways to upcycle Christmas do-dad décor! Good ole' Walmart for their trees and stuff but I did not know they had that icicle trim! I need to get some of that!

happyone said...

I noticed the rolling pins. I have a collection of them too.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Looks like you had fun. Cute projects.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I can't pick a favorite, they are all cute! The tart tin is so clever! I have a whole box of Christmas this and that's....Time to get to work!

Carol

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jann ,, que bonitas ideas para Navidad ,,, esoero que tengas un lindo día
Cariños

Tania Pelletier said...

Aww, those are all so adorable! What a fun craft night you guys must have had!

Tania

Commodity Gold Tips said...

Beautiful creativity,i like very much..


Commodity Market Gold Tips

Jill at Vintage & Co. said...

What fun! I love vintage Christmas things and the tin tart is so festive! What a fun time.

Jill At Vintage and Co said...

My link to my new blog is acting funny. On my computer it says this page can't be displayed, but then I refresh and Voila! There it is! So sorry for the extra comment about that but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. :)

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, these are just the cutest things! I have a similar project in the works--great minds, right ;) Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm!

Instagram