Playing with Plants and Purple Planters. . .


Hello my friends,
Happy St. Patty's Day!

We arrived home last Tuesday afternoon about 4:00 after our almost two week road trip to Texas.  Surprisingly,  we were greeted with lovely 60 degree weather.

Knowing that we would need to stop and buy milk I suggested we go to Wal-mart.

I had an alternative motive.  :)  They just happen to have a garden center as well.

The next day I found myself playing with plants and purple planters.  (Say that three times fast) lol!



I was hoping to find some potted tulips and daffodils as well as pansies and primroses.

No spring bulbs to be found, but lots of pansies and primroses.  These are what I have left after planting the planters.



About a week before I left for vacation, a friend and I had a fun day of 'gallavanting'

I found this sweet purple basket at a thrift shop for $2.  My friend got an aqua one.


I could hardly wait to get home and plant it.  I lined it with burlap and then placed this lamb chocolate mold inside.  I found it at a shop in the quaint town of Chappell Hill, TX.


Isn't it the sweetest?




Pansies and primroses are it's pasture to graze. 

I also bought a small Lavender plant and tucked it behind the lamb.



So there you have it, one purple planter planted with pansies and primroses.  (Whew!  That's a lot of p's)

Not only did I find a purple basket, but I also found a purple barrel.

Yup, I spied a box at the same thrift shop .  After closer inspection I saw that it was a kit for a barrel.

Now that hubby has retired it's my job to find things to occupy his time.  (wink)  Knew this kit would do just that!


It turned out a lot bigger than I thought.

Not only did we hit 3 thrift shops, but we also went to the damaged goods store that we love.  There I found this corrugated metal bunny for only $5.  I thought I would repaint it because it was quite bright.  It turns out that it matched the pink primroses so well that I decided to leave it.


On our way to Texas we stopped in the town of Bernalli, NM. for lunch and to visit a couple of antique stores.  I scored this chippy, rusty, trellis.  I sprayed it with a clear coat of varnish to keep the paint from chipping off more.  I've learned that the hard way.  The paint on my chippy filing cabinets is all but gone.  I've got to repaint them this year.


In the pot the trellis went.  I've planted sweet peas in front of it to, hopefully grow up.  I also planted a couple of cabbage plants.  Everyone knows that bunnies like cabbages!


Bunny and I seem to be quite pleased with my (one more time) purple planters planted with pansies and primroses!



hugs,

Only 3 more days till spring!

I will be sharing with these fun parties:
 
This post was featured at
Thanks Gals!
 
 
 

21 comments

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I love how the planter turned out and the stories that came along with each piece! The chocolate lamb mold is great- what a cute idea for using it! Wishing you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Louca por porcelana said...

Love your plants and planters,Jann!How inspiring!Hugs.

Fonda said...

I love the lamb mold nestled among the primrose and pansies. What a nice touch!

Kim said...

How exquisitely Spring!! Me thinks your lovely home will be the first one Spring visits. I imagine it will linger a while on your pretty porch. Love your planters filled with pretties. That lamb chocolate mold is a beauty.

Susie said...

Jann, Your pots and plants look so colorful and cheery. Certainly welcoming spring to your porch. I love the lamb. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Jeanie said...

Oh Jann, you had such wonderful finds! I love your bunny and trellis and the arrangement with the flowers, lamb and pretty basket are simply perfect! You did mighty well!

Stacey said...

The pots on your porch always catch my eye. You are so creative in the way you put them together. Love the little lamb in the basket too.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Your basket looks wonderful. I love doing things like that. A lot of my plants are blooming, especially since we have had rain.

Sounds like you had a great trip. But, it's always good to come home.

Enjoy your Spring and I like all the treasures you purchased.

Hugs,
Mary

Connie said...

Easter is sneaking up on me this year. Love your pretty decorations :)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Your purple planter and purple basket are fabulous! Your bunny and picket fence and iron trellis are perfect accessories. I am so envious that you can plant things for your porch. I have to wait till end of May at the earliest! Our Walmart has all the flowers out already though....it is tempting!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Adorable Jann! And pretty! Now I want to go out and get some pretty flowers and plant them but I'm afraid it's still too cool here? Not sure.
Happy Sunday to you!

Debra@CommonGround said...

love your tongue twisting purple basket and adorable lamb mold. that purple is the picture perfect project!

Sandi Magle said...

Love everything, the corrugated bunny is adorable...I think I might have to look for one of those...easy to store.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I love that bright purple basket and how you planted it and placed it on the chair. The funny thing is, I cleared out stuff this weekend, and I put a very similar large basket in the garage for the donation bin along with a similar chair that's white, with no seat. I got tired of waiting for the hubs to cut a wooden seat for it. Now they're all getting painted and planted soon. Thanks for the great inspiration!

By the way, re the comment you left about your hubby wanting a larger TV. You didn't say how large, but I really want to stress that our 55 inch one was just about perfect and is versatile enough to hang on the wall or place in a cabinet. The 65 inch one my hubs bought is just too large. It looks odd, is impossible to move, can't hang unless you want to look like you have a drive in movie in your front room. We are selling our house this year probably and we will sell the TV cuz I wouldn't want to move it. We'll hang the 55 inch back up over the mantle, which looks a lot better.

Creations By Cindy said...

You and I dear lady would be awesome Thrift store shoppers together. Well, maybe. I might have to beat you in the store to find some good stuff. LOL! I just love your finds and of course at Walmart is necessary! So glad you had a great time but there's no place like home. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Rose L said...

You always add such lovely touches into your home.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jann! It has been ages since I've visited. I was away from Blogger but have returned with a crafty vengeance! LOVE your purple basket with flowers and lamb. The lamb is a perfect addition! You did find some nice treasures at the thrift stores.

My new blog is linked to my name/profile but here is the web address too -

http://www.nanamakes.com

Blessings,
Gina

Unknown said...


More than the flowers, those leaves look delicious! And, that sheep is out there to eat them!

Two dollars? Thriving deals are often found at thrift stores! They're a trifle!

Oh! Wait! Those other things - those plants and the sheep - were bought separately? And, I thought the whole basket, with everything, was two dollars a sale!

It feels like you've lived a thousand years to get such wonderful deals at your nearest market.

That's a perfect gift basket!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your purple planters are all just beautiful and I love how you planted each one. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle and I am featuring you this week at the party.

Joanne said...

So pretty; I love your plantings and I am so jealous as we still have snow here and I can not plant anything just yet. Pinned.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Your decorating is adorable and inspiring, Jann! So pretty!

Instagram