Feed Sack Fixer Upper

Hi my friends,
we're home from our road trip to Colorado.  What a fabulous time we had!
 
I'm sure most (if not all) of you are familiar with the hit series
 "The Fixer Upper".
Where the talented couple, Johanna and Chip take a beat up, out dated home and turn it into a real beauty!
 
Well, this isn't nearly as fabulous as that, but still I'm pretty darn proud of myself. lol!

Some of you might remember this burlap ottoman I bought less than a year ago.  I'm thinking only about 6 months.

 
 I loved the rustic look of it, and the fun jute stitching.


 
 And I have burlap curtains hanging in that room as well.  They aren't the same shade of burlap, but being the eclectic gal that I am, that didn't bother me.
 
But honestly, I wondered how the burlap would hold up.
 
As you can see, not the best!  Where we would put our legs up to rest it started wearing about a month ago.
 
 
It gradually got worse, and worse.  I couldn't return it because I had bought it in the 'no return' section of a damaged goods store.
 


I lived with it a while trying to decide just what I wanted to do.
When it got this bad I couldn't handle it any longer.
 
I recently bought an old ice cream bucket at our local thrift.  Stuck inside were two old feed sacks.  I washed them up thinking I'd make a couple of pillows for outside under the pergola.
 
 
But then the idea came to me that they would be perfect for patching the ottoman.
 
 
I cut a couple of strips and sewed the edges under then pinned them over the damaged areas.  This one says, Columbine.  I love flowers, so this was a no brainer.
 
 
 
Using some thin jute and linen thread I stitched them in place.
 
I made one longer than the other so it wouldn't look too redundant.
 
I loved the blue Valley Feed & Seed words!
 
 
I love how it turned out!  Both my friend, Joyce and I agreed that we would probably buy it that way.  The patches just add to it's character.
 
 
I'm thinking I should maybe add just one to the other side for looks.  What do you think?
 
Well, there you have it. . .my feed sack fixer upper!
 
Have you fixed up anything lately?
 
hugs,
Jann

33 comments

20 North Ora said...

Jann - What an ingenious idea! I love it much better with the patches. Great inventive idea.

Judy

Unknown said...

That was smart thinking on your part to use your feed sacks to fix the edges. I think it looks great!

Mary

Stephanie said...

Welcome home, sweet Jann! I'm so glad you were able to relax and simply enjoy.

I absolutely love what you did with the feed sacks - you are amazing. Happy weekend! Hugs

Stephanie said...

Welcome home, sweet Jann! I'm so glad you were able to relax and simply enjoy.

I absolutely love what you did with the feed sacks - you are amazing. Happy weekend! Hugs

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

looks like it was meant to be that way.

Christine said...

I hope Johanna and Chip read this post cause it's so cleaver!

Jonell w Harrison said...

my kind of woman - my kind of decorating my kind of creativity -do you get the idea that I'm loving it?

Jonell w Harrison said...

my kind of woman - my kind of decorating my kind of creativity -do you get the idea that I'm loving it?

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Perfect Jann- what a great way to salvage the situation! I was in Colorado Weds. early evening for a layover on our way back to Michigan from Portland. :-)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a fun fix! I think your idea was brilliant, and just added to the charm of the bench! :)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Great job, Jann!! The ottoman looks fabulous!

Gayle said...

Win, win. The sacks were a bonus with the ice cream bucket and were just the ticket for the ottoman.

Salmagundi said...

Great idea! Did you know that the Columbine is the state flower of Colorado? So, you can think of your fun trip in our beautiful state whenever you put your feet up!!! Sally

mimi_62 said...

Love it!!! What a smart idea. Glad you're home.

LL Farm said...

It looks great Jann! Great re-purpose.

Cathy, 1929 Charmer Cottage said...

Glad you had a great time and are back home safe and sound. I really like how you mended your ottoman, I think the lettering added a lot of detail to it. I actually like it better now than before. Good job!

LV said...

Great idea that turned out out great. I would never have thought of using s feed sack tho. Wr had plenty when I was growing up.

Marsha said...

You are soooooo clever! I love the new look....and yes. Add a "patch" to the other side...I was thinking that as I was reading your comment! Two great minds!
Happy Friday!

cynthia lee designs said...

What a great idea to put the patches on the ottoman!! Love it!! Yes...to putting another patch on the other side.
~Cindy

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

It does look like the patches should be there. Maybe as you find more great feed sacks you can just add them as patches here and there to make a really eclectic piece!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Jann, what a perfect solution. I love the mix. sb

Michelle H said...

Gorgeous! And, I agree with the one more patch thinking. I love when a solution is already on hand!!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Great job Jann! It looks like it was made that way. So glad that you had a great trip. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Jo

Rose L said...

GETTING CREATIVE IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Great job Jann. I really like it that way better than before. I might just put another one the other side to give it more interest.
So glad that you had a good road trip.
Have a great weekend.
Mary

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Jann,

I absolutely agree with everyone: It's definitely FIXED and up 18 notches or more!

B U T............

Your yo-yo flag!!!! YOUR YO-YO FLAG!!!!

I

W I L L

B E

M A K I N G

O N E !!!!!!!!!!

Hugs and happy Flag Day weekend,
Kelley~

Art and Sand said...

Well, aren't you clever!

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Jann that is super cute. Love your ottoman!!! Hugs, Beverly

Joy Junktion said...

I love your fixer upper! My first thought at seeing the reworked piece was I'd add one strip to the other side, so yes, I'd add it! Enjoy your week! Blessings, Cindy

Pollyanna said...

Wow I love it, you are so imaginative. I actually think it looks even more awesome than the original!!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Oh my. What a great idea! Agreed, it would probably sell that way!

Benita said...

What a great idea!! Do the other side - it looks adorable!! I'm OCD and need symmetry...LOL

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a perfect solution. I like it even more now with all the character of the feed sacks!

Instagram