Sailing into Summer. . .

Well, my friends June has arrived and now we find ourselves sailing into summer.



This year I decided to go with a nautical theme for my family room and kitchen décor.

This sweet chalk ware sailor and old pail were the inspiration behind it all.  I'll be sharing how I used them on my summer mantle at a later time. 

 
Today I am sharing my beach themed table.
 
 
 
First I draped the table in a linen tablecloth.  I recently picked it up for a great price.  I had no intentions of using it on my table.  It's a lot larger than what I need.  I bought it thinking I would use the fabric to make chair cushions.
 
Wanting something that looked like sand I decided to try it on for size.  The ends were way too long, but I pinned up the corners and added a knotted napkin to give it a nautical look.
 
 
I added a striped runner down the center.
 
I bought the red speckled enamel cake plate on our trip to Capital Reef last April.
 
 
 
Then I found this darling tray to match at that damaged goods store that I love so much!
 
 
 
 
 
The tray holds a small crock filled with vintage silverware, a large shell platter topped with a star plate, and a small bowl of seashells.
Can you believe I had to pick the shells up at our local thrift?  I didn't have any.
 
 
 
I just had to have this fun crab bucket when I spied it on clearance at Hobby Lobby.  I tied a little anchor to the handle.
 
 
 
 

Okay, now do I ever have a story to tell you about these seashell dishes.
 
Over 6 years ago two of my friends gave them to me for my birthday.  I had never use them and stored them in a cabinet in our basement.  Then we moved into our new home.  I didn't move everything out of our previous home because our youngest son was renting it.  Well, he got married and ended up buying it.  Slowly I started bringing things that I had left there up to our new home.  Never even thought of these.


When I started to decorate my table all of a sudden I remembered them.  Called down and asked my son if they were still there.  He checked the cabinet in the basement and sure enough there they were.  lol!

 
There were four shell plates, a large shell bowl, and an oval and shell shaped platter.
 
Here's a close up of the design on the oval platter.


I've had this enamel pitcher for years. 

 
Dorothy from Hensrule showed this sweet tag on fb.  Knowing that it would be so cute with my beach themed table I asked her if she made them to sell.
She insisted on gifting it to me.
 
Isn't it so cute?
 
What a sweetheart Dorothy is!!


 
This tablescape was crying out for a fruity summertime dessert.
 
 
I layered the shells with my Americana plates and red wooden chargers.

 
I got the idea to knot my napkins after seeing Carol from  Art and Sand do it.  I placed them on top of the plate, but it covered up too much of the fun shell so I decided to just lay them by the side.
 
 
 
I'm loving my summertime table, but it has me yearning to head to the beach.  Or at least eat some crab!  Hee-hee!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
This post was featured at The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday  Thanks Kathryn!
 
I will be sharing with these wonderful parties:
 The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday
 
 
 

36 comments

Laurel Stephens said...

This is so adorable! You have really inspired me to start a red, white, and blue collection of my own! All so summery and festive!

Tamara said...

What a wonderful display of red white and blue! Very patriotic and inspiring. And you always have the best collection of themed items. It's all so charming! What a sweet thing that your friend gave you the cute girlie tag. Have a wonderful weekend..

Tamara <3

Susie said...

Jann, Such an adorable setting. I love the sailor boy. You really have a great knack for putting things together. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

20 North Ora said...

What a wonderful and charming table setting you have made!! Really do like it.

Judy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann I love the combination of Red,White and Blue and Beach! So so cute and looks like we could just sit down and enjoy that desert!
hugs,
Linda

xinex said...

Lovely table! I love your Americana plates....Christine

Mary Ann Potter said...

Oh, what lovely nautical goodies! I like it all, but I especially love that platter with the shell design. Very cool.

Junkchiccottage said...

Love your summer table. So sweet and fun. Jann you really know how to put a vignette together. Looks great. Have a wonderful week end.
Kris

My thrift store addiction said...

Fabulous Jann! You always inspire ;)

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Love your sea table scape. Everything looks so well together. You are already for Summer. Hope you get a chance to get to the beach and have crab.
Have a great summer weekend.
Mary

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

I love it! So creative. It looks so inviting! Hopefully you can get to the beach soon! Have a wonderful weekend! Diane

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

When you have all the right ingredients you've just got to make it summer. Looks great!!

Marsha said...

I love the red pitcher and that cute little crab bucket. Wasn't it fun remembering you had something new that you could use for the cute tablescape and you knew exactly where those dishes were!!!!! :)

sweetbriardreams said...

I love this! Especially the crab bucket. My Mum has a real nautical theme running through her home as she loves the beach and I will have to show her this as it is right up her street! Have a great weekend xx

Cindy Lou said...

Very cute! Love the look for red white and blue! Great job!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Beautiful red white and blue theme! Have a wonderful weekend enjoying your "summer sailing" :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it all for Summer!! Brings back memories of when I decorated our first home in Patriotic colors....back in the 80's.
hugs,
Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It's so cute and makes me feel like going to the beach!

Art and Sand said...

I am going nuts for that table and all of your sailing decor!

Laura Turner said...

I love a red,white, and blue theme for summer and yours is exquisite! I am working on one myself. The chalkware sailor and that sweet tag were shopstoppers, and I love that tin crab bucket. What fun! Happy Summer!

Unknown said...

Hi Jann,
I just love your seascape table setting, especially those shell dishes!
And the little chalkware sailor and sand pail are adorable. You are so sweet to display the little tag! Thank you! Hope you have a great week ahead,
hugs,
Dorothy

priscilla said...

Love your nautical decorations Jann ! You have the best collections of everything !

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a fun and festive table you created!!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann your talent never ceases to amaze me. Your table is perfect, and that dessert looks really good to! Hugs, Jo

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

I really really like this table setting. Very inviting! Blessings, Heather Elizabeth

Ivy and Elephants said...

Your table is the cutest! I LOVE the knotted napkins, and the adorable little tin crab bucket.
Hugs,
Patti

Joy Junktion said...

I love your summertime table! So many cute pieces! May you enjoy each and every day of the summer, soaking in the sun, breathing in the fresh air, embracing the moments! Blessings, Cindy

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love your red enamelware. I rarely see it in that color! The sailor is just too cute. Your table is very inviting and festive!

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a fun table Jann. I always like a beach theme and red, white and blue too.

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jann! Que bonita mesa !,Que tengas un óptimo miércoles
Cariños

The Charm of Home said...

Love your beachy table!! So cute! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

Unknown said...

Hi Jann!
I love your table setting and that chalk board is amazing!
Such a pretty entertaining space!
And that dessert looks yummy!
Have a wonderful vacation!
Hugs, Kimberley

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love this beachy table! Great details. Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Anything Blue Friday party! Here is the link to this week's bash! http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/anything-blue-friday-week-86.html Hope to see you again at our little blue soiree! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Hi Jann! The Weekly Feature Series is live on the blog where you are being showcased. Pop on over and take a look when you have time. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series.html Have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Ricki Treleaven said...

This post and the nautical vignette post has made me want to go to the beach, too! Fun centerpiece!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh adorable. I love how you tied up the corners. This was great. You've given me some ideas. I am going to copy. LOL. I was planning a beach theme for my mantle which is steps away from my table. I have new photo's of the grands (one is a mermaid) on the beach in Florida.
Thanks for sharing! You've inspired me.
Happy 4th.

Instagram