Patriotic Ribbon Flag

Hello my friends,
today I want to share with you a fun and easy project.
 
A Patriotic ribbon flag
 
 
 
I wish I could take credit for making this up all by myself, but that would be a flat out lie!  lol!  I saw a similar one at a local shop. 
They were actually teaching the class and I didn't think it was a bad price.  However, I was going to be out of town and well, I have a boat load of red ribbon!
Must admit, had to buy some blue, and the zipper, but pretty much had everything else.
 
 
Now for the easy instructions:
 
Cut a piece of brown shipping paper 18x36.
(not the best photo, but you get the jest)
Also, you could use burlap, muslin, whatever you have on hand.  Just something to back your ribbons.
 
 
Cut a yard stick in half.  If you buy one at Lowe's or Home Depot and ask nicely; they will cut it for you.  : )
I actually had this 18" ruler that I found at a thrift shop.
Next drill two small holes in the top for hanging.
 
 
Cut a piece of fabric 12x14.  12" will run horizontal.  Spray the back of it with Elmers spray glue and press it down to the right side of your brown paper backing.  *Leave the bottom edge up so that you can tuck ribbons underneath.
 
 
 
 
Use a 24-27" zipper. Either will work.
(optional of course)
 
Ha, ha!  No!!!  You MUST use a zipper!
(Jk)
 
Cut various widths of ribbons, lace, ric-rac, etc.  We used 17 all together.  4 were cut 36" long and 13 were cut 24" long.  (You will trim it all up at the end)
Plus the number you will need will depend on the widths that you use.  If you use more thinner ribbons you will need more.  Like you couldn't figure that out.  He-he!
 
Be sure and overlap them slightly.
 
Also cut two 24" pieces of tuelle to lay over the top.  We used one red and one white.
 
(close up of ribbons and zipper that you must use)
 
 
(close up of tuelle over top.  We kind of hand gathered it)
 

 
We also added two rows of tickets.  They were cut long at first, but I didn't like how they hung so I cut mine shorter.  We also put tape along the back to keep them from breaking apart.
 
I added a corsage pin to mine to hold them down. They had a tendency to bow out.

 
(close up of length of tickets.  I left one longer than the other)
 


Use hot glue to glue the ribbons to the top of the brown backing and under the large blue fabric.  Go very thinly or you will have bumpiness at the top.  After all ribbons are attached I took my flag outside and (carefully) sprayed the edge of the blue fabric that I had left up with the spray glue and then pressed it down. You can use hot glue, but may have some bumpiness. Elmers or Tacky may even work.


Almost done!
Spray the back of your ruler with the spray glue (hot glue will not hold) and press down firmly to the top.  Let set a while to dry.
Then stick a small nail or skewer into the drilled hole and push it through your ribbon and backing.
String jute through.  It will go through much easier if you tape the end tightly with scotch tape.
Knot the jute behind holes and your ribbon flag is ready to hang.
 

Viola!
 
Hang your cute flag up and trim ribbons evenly.  Much easier to do while hanging.
 
 
I hung mine on the old door now in my entry and I am loving it!
 
Happy red, white, and blue
to you!!
 
hugs,

31 comments

20 North Ora said...

Jann - That is so darling!! Have you seen the one on Pinterest that looks like it's all vintage laces, etc? I just swoon everytime I see that and say I'm going to make one. Now, you've inspired me and I may actually get one done.

Thanks for the inspiration! Cute project!

Judy

Trisha said...

I have been wanting to make one of these too! After seeing how cute yours turned out, I definitely have to get with it. Thanks for the tutorial!

~Trisha

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Now that is adorable! I love the combination of materials on it!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

love this. I think I may try making one with the boys this weekend. I just have to purchase a ruler and some ribbon.

Debby Ray said...

Well that is about the cutest thing I have seen for a while! I just love everything about it..especially the zipper! :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That is so cute and clever, Jann - well done, ma'am!

Hugs!

Debby said...

Wow, I like that.

Anonymous said...

Awesome ribbon flag! I pinned it to my patriotic pins board!

Benita said...

How beautiful and unique! I love this!!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jann, that is so cute. Thanks for the DIY.
You really did a terrific job on yours.
Hugs,
Mary

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your ribbon flag...so pretty!!
hugs,
~Cindy

Joy Junktion said...

I love this Jann! Such a cute idea. I know I have lots of ribbon and a nice piece of blue fabric, I may have to attempt this sweet project! Enjoy yours, I love how/where you have it hanging! And I also really like the banner :) Blessings, Cindy

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Jann, what an absolutely beautiful ribbon flag! It's just so unique and charming, I love it!
Happy Friday~
Nancy

J said...

WOW! I LOVE this! It's so "country" feeling! Thank you for the guidelines. I won't have time to make it this year, but pinned it for next. Thanks!

Cindy Lou said...

Tooo cute! Thanks for the idea and showing us how to make it! Yours looks terrific!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

What a great idea! You could make this up in so many different ways. Love it. Hugs, Jo

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very, very VERY cute! I really want to make this. What did I miss? What is the zipper for?!

decorayadora said...

Ohh Jann !! Que bonita esa bandera !! Muy patriótica ..Que tengas un bendecido domingo
Cariños

Stephanie said...

Your flag is adorable, Jann, and now I want to make one {{smiles}} I love the little touch of lace and burlap here and there. Happy weekend! Hugs!

Betty said...

How Fun is that, love your America bunting too. Hugs,

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

So cute! Very country charm chic.

Tea in the Library said...

Nice of you to share the directions. A tempting project for sure! And congratulations on know which side the union should be on! Yay!

Art and Sand said...

FUN ... FUN ... FUN!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Such a cute and fun way to use up ribbon, and it looks pretty easy to do too!

Maria said...

Nice ribbon decoration project, should come in handy for many people(:

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a creative way to use up all those ribbons stashed in drawers! Your flag turned out amazing... now I'm inspired to dig through my stash of ribbon, and see what happens, lol! Wonderful post today :)

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Adorable!

Debra@CommonGround said...

LOVE this, Jann!!!

Ricki Treleaven said...

LOVE the flag! I'm pinning it. I want to make one!

GranthamLynn said...

Love it thanks for the tutorial. I was wanting to make one with vintage laces. I saw on pinned. Thanks for sharing.

Raza abbas said...

Hello I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post. Please do keep up the great work.
marmeren keukentablet

Instagram