Spring Greens and Basement Sneak Peek. . .

A couple weeks ago I planted a few containers for some Spring green.

IMG_0351

I saw the dented tin cans on Pinterest last year and thought they were so fun.  Using paint I had around the house I painted one blue, one yellow, and one Spring green.  One of my favorite things to plant is my own Easter grass.

Notice how the Hyacinth in front is in full bloom?  The one in the blue can was planted the same day.  It is just starting to open.  Proof that some of us are just late bloomers. lol!

IMG_0350

On Friday my friend and I stopped at a thrift store.  I found a few more Spring greens to add to my dish fetish.  Only two plates and one bowl.  I loved the shape and the green check.  $2.75 for the three, how could I pass them up?

IMG_0347

IMG_0348

Now because I am on the subject of Spring green I thought I’d show you a peek into my basement farmhouse kitchen.  They just finished painting on Saturday.  The walls are Whetstone Grey and the trim is Cotton Ball white.  My favorite thing is the bead board ceiling.

IMG_0337

IMG_0340

This shot is looking away from the kitchen and towards the children’s play area.  Now here’s where I would love your opinion.  Usually I pretty much know what I want.  Like this vintage green paint.  I knew I wanted a touch of it somewhere.  At first I was going to paint the top of the pillar.  My friend, Diana suggested I paint the bead board.  Love it!

Notice the transom window and old door on the pantry?  I had told the painters to leave them their original color.  I adored the old chippy paint.  We thought we matched the pillar color to a tee.  As you can see it’s a tad lighter.  So question is, should I paint the door to match or leave it the way it is?  I might mention that my island is an old seed cabinet that was used as a counter in a business/partnership I once had.  It is a darker shade of green and has been glazed. It’s not large, only 62” long.  The top will be granite which will break up the green. Too many greens?

IMG_0336

Notice my tape asking them to not paint?  They’re gonna think this lady is looney if I ask them to paint it now.  Oh well, they would be right! 

IMG_0339

Well, that’s the sneak peek for today.  Flooring and cupboards coming this week.  I can’t wait!   I’d love to hear your opinion.

More peeks to come!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

26 comments

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love the green. My hubby does not like green, so I haven't been able to decorate with it...

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love the green!! Can't wait to see more!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'd be inclined to do light brush strokes of the main white on top of the old window paint. Just a bit of the aged white poking through would be nice and it would all tie together. How to explain that to painters is another whole story. Love the shades of green and the beadboard ceiling!

Susie said...

Love the new dishes. The green is so spring like, I really like it. Painting old cans...how very cute is that. xoxo,Susie

Bernideen said...

My opinion is LOVELY! Love the green!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

The green looks so pretty! Your friend was right...painting just the beadboard was right. Maybe you could uses some of the pillar green on the door to make them look more coordinated. Like just along the routered edge inside each panel....or even each inset panel if you like that. Lucky gal to have some neat old features like the island to use!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Ooooh, please don't repaint the green door. I love it just as it is. You sure have fantastically high ceilings. Fabulous!

Love the tin can idea, and your comment about late bloomers is priceless!

Sue xo

Gina said...

I love the beadboard ceiling & the vintage green paint. It all looks so pretty!

Those green gingham dishes! Quite a few years ago, I came across some of the same dishes at a garage sale & walked away from them. Of course, I knew that would be a mistake that would come back to haunt me! lol

Robyn said...

Love the hyacinth and the plates, well I wouldn't have passed them up either!.. As for the paint, I think it looks wonderful as is.. All of it! Can't wait to see it all done and decorated..
Robyn

Nikki said...

DO NOT PAINT THE DOOR!!! You are not a matchy matchy kinda person! I like that they are a bit different! It is going to be amazing!

Peg said...

I like it the way it is. If you do anything to it, maybe just a little bit of dry brush on the window with the white. Love the door the way it is. It is all so quaint and adorable that you and Schultz just may have to move downstairs.

Two Cottages And Tea said...

I like the way it is. If you do anything I would wait until you are done decorating so you can see more of the end result. Can't wait to see more!
Hugs...Nancy

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jann,
Not only do I love the green door-look at your ceiling!!

Hugs!
Jemma

cynthia lee designs said...

Jann...I love it!! I can see the farmhouse style already.
hugs,
Cindy

Chenille Cottage said...

Hello, my sweet friend!
I am up so late tonight...or should I say early this morning? When my creative juices are flowing I find it so hard to get to sleep. My head just spins with future projects...mainly things I love to do.
Your basement is just amazing. It sure doesn't look like the basements that I grew up with...I don't see a single cobweb or silver fish! What wonderful color you have chosen. I like the fact that you have added vintage, chippy painted touches. I like the original paint and color of your green door and the transom. They're kind of like gracious old ladies...with their very own story. My vote is to keep them just the way they are...liver spots and all.

I'm so happy you received your surprise package. I found the little wheel barrel a few months ago and it reminded me of the cart that you have displayed on your table. It was so much fun looking for Jelly Belly's that were your colors. Would you believe they had no RED ones?

I got the bug recently to try needle felting and have had fun (minus the needle jabs). I am learning lots and have also discovered that my cat, Schlomo, likes to eat my projects. I had some little Easter Eggs and they disappeared...until they showed up as colorful hairballs!

I hope you have a wonderful week and a Happy Happy Easter, Jann.

Big hugzzzz,
Carolynn xoxo

priscilla said...

Wow ! I love the beadboard ceiling ( LOVE Beadboard :)) and the trim on the pillar ! I think the colors are perfect ! Can't wait to see more :)

Maria Elena said...

Love, love the green! It is my favorite color! The beadboard ceiling looks amazing! Can't wait to see the whole project!

Diane said...

I cannot wait to see the other "peeks" at this project. Wow - love your colors!

craftyles said...

Oh my-what a wonderful project. I'm loving all the vintage touches. The green beadboard is fabulous!

A Joyful Cottage said...

It's really coming together, Jann. Love everything you've done and like so many others said, I wouldn't change a thing. The door and transom window are great. Bead board ceilings are wonderful; I have one in my kitchen. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Unknown said...

How exciting!! Love your colors! If it were me, I'd wait til you have the room all together and let it talk to you! Am I crazy?! I like my rooms to talk to me! LOL!! I think once you have everything in there, you'll know what to do!! Can't wait to see!!~~Angela

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the sneak peek at the basement. Love the beadboard ceiling and the colors look great. Casn't wit to see it finished.

Cynthia

Victoria Lavender said...

So exciting! Those greens are lovely, soft and very country kitchen. This is your basement? Is this a second kitchen to the house or have I missed something? I do love dropping by to see what you are up to....you don't ever seem to slow down.
Happy Spring and little hugs,
Victoria Lavender

Unknown said...

I think maybe insets on door the same green as pillar (love that color SO much) and leave the rest, that's my vote. I can't wait to see it finished-it's going to be gorgeous!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

This is coming along so nicely! WOW! I think I agree with the commenter above me...do the insets / accents on the door only of the pillar green. What a wonderful color that is!

Rose L said...

You have the right to change your mind! I have a hard time just picking a color!!!

Instagram