Spring Trailers. . .

If you have a rock wall then you know how important trailing plants are.  They do so much to soften the rocks.

Even if you don’t have a rock wall trailing plants are lovely planted at the edge of your flower beds.

                                                  (Basket of Gold)

IMG_6309_thumb[1]

To keep the rock wall ‘blooming’ up until the first snow hits I have planted trailers that bloom at different times.

Today I am sharing my Spring trailers with you.

                    (Candy Tuft, Creeping Plox, Aubretia (rock cress), and Basket of Gold)

DSC01092

I have a lot of the same plants repeated along the wall.  When I walk out back they really catch my eye.

Notice that the Basket of Gold is not in full bloom yet.  The first picture was one taken last year.

I have been spreading mulch in the beds today.  Amazing how it makes everything look so much nicer.  These were taken before the mulch was added.

DSC01103

Big mounds of Candy Tuft by the entrance to the fire pit.

DSC01093

I have lots of little trailing plants inside the fire pit rocks. 

A lot of these are what they call ‘steppables’.  Great plants to plant in rock paths.  When tucked in walls they creep throughout the rocks.

                                                      (Kenilworth Ivy)

DSC01098

DSC01097

                                                           (Blue Star Creeper)

DSC01094

                                                        (Orange Flame)

DSC01096

                                    (Sisyrinchium ‘Devon Skies’)

DSC01095

                                                  (Sea Thrift)

DSC01104

DSC01105

                                                                            (Myrtle)

DSC01106

I also planted trailing plants along the rocks out front.  These have just started to bloom.

DSC01118

This mound of Plox is huge.  See my new Laceleaf Japanese Maple waiting to be planted?

DSC01114

These trailing plants add a pop of color for Spring and help pacify me until my perennials really take off.

Have you got Spring trailers in your garden?

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

Kathe with an e for You're Gonna Love it Tuesday

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

21 comments

20 North Ora said...

Thanks so much for all of this info. I have flower beds that are raised about 8-9 inches and am always looking for trailing plants to go over the side. There are several of these that I love and am hoping to find in the next few days.

Thanks!

Judy

NanaDiana said...

I LOVE trailing plants and yours are absolutely beautiful. I love your new little tree, too. Hope you have a good week-xo Diana

Kris said...

Hi Jann! I am here doing some catch up with you. What a gorgeous rock wall that is, with all of the beautiful plants! Love it!
The shower you and your sisters threw was just lovely. So creative, and so pretty. The food look so good! And your home is a place I would love to come and visit and sit a spell with you!!!
xo Kris

JoAnne said...

So pretty! We have some places that could really use some of these trailing plants. Thanks for the inspiration, Jann!

Sarah said...

This is one of my favorite garden looks. We don't have a rock wall, but I like to use trailers in urns and pots. Thanks for sharing your pretty garden.

camp and cottage living said...

Your flowers all look great mixed with those gorgeous stones!
I can only imagine how much prettier it will look when it all blooms.

Winnie said...

How beautiful everything looks!!
These flowers with these rocks - I love it :)

Rita C at Panoply said...

These are great, Jann. I just added some candytuft to my landscape to fill in some gaps in my groundcover. The phlox in our neighborhood is blooming right now, and it's beautiful when it falls over rock walls, I agree.
Love your Japanese maple. It will be a great specimen add to your mix.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

We don't have a lot of rocks around here, but these flowers look wonderful on your wall. Thanks for the pretty photos!

priscilla said...

Beautiful Jann ! Your plants are way ahead of ours here !

Creations By Cindy said...

WOW! Love the covered rock wall. So beautiful! The pictures are stunning Jann. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bernideen said...

Love them all among the rocks!

Nell at njschout said...

I have many of these plants in my garden too. Isn't spring wonderful!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's looks so pretty.

Debbie said...

Such lovely spring color...we finally had a couple nice days here in NE Ohio...high 70s with SUN! Some of the early spring flowers such as narcissus are getting ready to bloom. Of course...this is OHIO, so today it
s 44 & damp...rained overnight & we lost almost 40 degrees in temps. Wish spring would decide to stay...they're even mentioning that nasty 4-letter "S" word. I'll just have to look at YOUR garden...thanks for sharing!
xo
Debbie
===^..^===

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous Jann. I love all those big rocks too. Hope you will share your post at our party.
Angel

Rose L said...

I love that Kenilworth Ivy!! It all looks so lovely. You will love the Japanese maple. I have about 10 of them in various types and they are so pretty.

Unknown said...

I have a rock wall along my driveway and it tends to "leak" a lot of dirt. Thank you for the names of these creeping plants. I think they may be the answer to the problem.
Blessings to you Jann,
Patti

Aimee at Refresh-Renew... said...

oh my goodness! How pretty all the plants look around the rocks! love it!-aimee

must love junk said...

Jann, I love the rocks and the flowers-so pretty! :)
Susan

Decor To Adore said...

I absolutely love this beautiful look. My daughter Alyssa is named for the beautifully fragrant flower.

Instagram