Creating Art from Old Stamps

Hello my friends, I'm sure many of you are like me and like to create a bit of art now and then.

I'm not a true artist, but more of a tinkerer. 

A week and a half ago my sister, Julie and friend, Dolly were up for an over night visit.

Whenever they come we like to 'create'.

I had a bunch of old used stamps that we found in an old Dr's bag that my sister, Dolores had sent up to sale at one of our vintage yard sales.  We decided to save them even though at the time we weren't sure what we would do with them.

Why not create a little stamp art?

We took a trip to Hobby Lobby and bought a canvas.



We dumped a few shades of blue and a coral color out onto a paper plate.

Using a large brush and a slip slap motion we started applying the watered down paint to the canvas.

 
If you are not familiar with the slip slap motion, it's when you brush several strokes one direction, and while still wet brush back the other way.  Kind of like chicken scratch.

It was Dolly's idea to add a touch of coral in one of the corners like sun shining through.  Love it!

Dolly had cut a couple of bird shapes and a branch out on her cricket and brought with her.

As you can see, we had plenty of stamps to choose from.  At first we were going to trace the bird shape onto the canvas and carefully cut the stamps to fit.  I suggested that we trace it onto a piece of poster paper and then recut the shape out.  It would be easier and it would give the art work a bit of dimension.  Every now and then I have a good idea. he-he!

 
Notice how we used the brown stamps on the beak and feet?
 
 


 
Right about now I had to chuckle.  Julie and Dolly had placed their stamps all different directions.  The 'neat and tidy' me had to place hers with all of the heads facing up.
 
Theirs turned out darling and I'm sad that I didn't snap a photo before they took it home.
 
We stenciled the branch on the canvas and then glued the bird down.  We had to hold it for some time to lay nicely.
 
 
 
We also decided to cut a few leaves out of the green colored stamps and add them to the branch.
 
 
 
Pretty Sweet Tweet!
 
Have you had fun creating art lately?
 
hugs,
Jann
 
This post was featured at Vintage Inspiration Party.  Thanks so much gals!
Also thanks to Stephanie for featuring it at her Roses of Inspiration Party
 

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

48 comments

Debby said...

What a great idea. Wonder where you could find some if not ones you have saved.

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Jann, this turned out beautiful and I think you are an artist after all isn't tinkering all about creating art. Artist develop ideas and follow them through wherever those ideas take us. In any case you created a beautiful piece of art. Hugs, Beverly

Tina said...

That turned out great...love it! Have a wonderful day.

Susie said...

Jann, You girls are so clever. I love that. I think you are more artistic than you realize. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Unknown said...

I love this Jann! What a great idea.

Salmagundi said...

I, too, am the 'neat and tidy', all heads up, type of person. I admire those wild abandon types -- they create some amazing artwork. Guess that is why I'm a traditional-type quilter with nothing too flashy!! Always enjoy seeing what you are up to -- this is a great project. Sally

French pretties said...

Jann you are so creative! Have a nice week!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann, this is so cute~ I just found a bunch of stamps by Dad had given one of my kids and now I'm using it on an art page in my journal. Not nearly as creative as yours but still it's funny that I'm doing it the same week you post this.
hugs,
Linda

Patti said...

Wow, I never would have thought to use old stamps! It is just darling!

Kim said...

Wow...I must say your 'tinkering' is rather spiffy! The finished canvas is lovely and so creative!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh wow Jann! That turned out wonderful! I love anything birds so you know I'm loving your art work! Fantastic!
Have a great week,
Gina

The Junque Seeker said...

This is wonderful! Love the colors and such a great use of the old stamps.

Laura Turner said...

Your stamp collage bird turned out fantastic. I love it! What a nice way to spend together time!

NanaDiana said...

That is a really cute idea. Wish I had the ones from my Mom now! Tweet is right! xo Diana

Stephanie said...

This is one of the sweetest and neatest things I have seen in a while, dear Jann - I absolutely LOVE it.

Have a wonderful week. Hugs!

Kris said...

That is just awesome! I love it!
xo Kris

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

What a great idea.
Such a good way to put stamps back into use.
Have a lovely week.
Denise

farmhouse-story said...

so adorable, jann! (and i'd call you an artist!)

Babs said...

What a great idea! I'm kicking myself now, for giving several bags of old stamps away. Thanks for a neat project. I'm going to collect some new stamps. :)

sweetbriardreams said...

I have so many stamps that I've kept to give to charity but I may just keep some of the colourful ones and make something like this for my kitchen. Fantastic idea Jann! x

My Painted Garden said...

I love the creative way you used the stamps. Your art project is wonderful and I think you should create more art. Love - love the bird.
Have a wonderful week,
Blessings, Erin

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! Your more of an artist than you know : )

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

What a fun and creative idea Jann! Bet you had a blast. :)

RosieW said...

I just checked on eBay. Used "CANCELLED STAMPS" in search. Tons available, various pricing, some very reasonable. Lots of colorful ones. Thanks for sharing this great project.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jann,
This is so creative and so very pretty too! So very nice that your sister and friends were able to come up and ya'll could be crafty together!
Hugs,
Jemma

Linda said...

That's so neat! You have inspired me to create something from a collection that my dad had.
Wishing you a beautiful week ahead,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Beth in NEPA said...

Jann, I do love to make collages.... your bird is really special. What a great use for old postage stamps. Not really collectible ones but so hard to part with... so why not this terrific use! Love it!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Your art is amazing. How is this. Thanx so much for the inspiration.
~hugs Jo

Winnie said...

Fantastic idea, and it turned up so beautiful!!
Pinning

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Pretty clever of you I must say. I think crafting is taking to a new level when you do it with others too. I have an old collection from my Dad. But I am the WORSE drawer, really I am.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

At the beginning of the post I thought you were talking about stamps as in put in the ink and stamp on the paper. When I saw what you were actually doing, I was captivated. I just love the end product! Who knew you could create such beauty from some old stamps?!!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I sure wasn't expecting the bird! Very cool project!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

This is so cute, and definitely unique! I've never seen this done before. What a lovely way to spend time with your sister and friend.

Rose L said...

unique idea! Especially good in using stamps that are not so valuable but colorful!

Sarah said...

Clever girls! I think your stamp art is great!

J said...

What a memory this post triggered! When I was in 8th grade (many, many moons ago!) the commonly used stamp was a violet lady liberty one. Not sure of the denomination - probably 3 cents! I made a similar collage of a Japanese lady wearing a kimono. Lots of compliments from students and teacher!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love this project! Such a clever idea to use different colored stamps. I have a big baggie full of old stamps I picked up at a yard sale ages ago. Might just have to give this idea a try.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

How imaginative and creative! It's really a cute piece! I never would've thought to use stamps like that!

Ali said...

What a wonderful idea. The bird looks beautiful.
Ali xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This looks fantastic! Thanks for this great idea! zsuzsa (#79)

Ana Love Craft said...

Hello Jann, this is really awesome! I love your wonderful and unique bird! What a lovely idea! Visiting from Stephanie's Roses of Inspiration Link Party! Thank you for sharing!
Hope you have a fantastic day!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Scrappy quilter said...

That is just so clever and looks like a whole lot of fun.

Conniecrafter said...

very creative and so cool, I have been saving stamps and really didn't know what I would do with them, this is such a neat idea!

She Yarns Crochet said...

This is a great idea and a cool piece--pinned to Funtastic Friday's pinterest board. Thanks for linking up. Hope to see you again this week.

concretenprimroses said...

Wonderful!
Kathy

Stephanie said...

Hey there lovely lady! Just dropping in to let you know this incredible stamp bird has been featured at Roses of Inspiration - thanks for sharing it with us :) Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic. I love it and would like to try it soon. The colors you used are beautiful.

Debbie Nolan said...

THIS WAS WONDERFUL - I HAVE BEEN SAVING SOME OLD STAMPS TOO - YOU INSPIRE ME IN HOW TO USE THEM. THANK YOU - SO ENJOYED MY VISIT.

Instagram