My oh My, Let's Talk Pie. . .

Hello my friends, we are still getting bombarded with rain off and on daily.
Makes a woman want to bake!  lol!
 
I should be thinking 'bikini body' (like that's ever going to happen), and eating healthy, but no; instead I find myself baking pie.  I mean twice in one week.  Oh my!
And not only did I make pie yesterday, but I made banana bread as well.  : )
 
And soup, yes I've been making a lot of soup. 
 

 
 
Now I have a confession to make.  I have this gorgeous rhubarb plant and I have never used it for baking.
I've used the leaves to make some fun concrete birdbaths, but that's about it.
 
 
And now for a second confession.  I never bake a pie with a top crust.  Pie is my favorite dessert, but I don't make one very often. So when I do I make pecan or coconut cream.  My two favs!
 
Needless to say, my first attempt was not the prettiest.  But my sweet pie bird didn't seem to mind.  And I might add that it tasted delicious!
 
 
Second attempt, well I'm getting better!
 


My friend, Amanda gave me the recipe for her strawberry rhubarb pie.  I've never really eaten it, but it's a keeper!
 
I loved the sweetness of the strawberry with just the bit of tartness from the rhubarb!
 
She also gave me a fabulous crust recipe.  I tell you it's so easy and the flakiest crust I've ever made.
 
If you like pie you must try this crust!
 
Sylvias Perfect Pie Crust
(thank you Slyvia, whoever you are!)
1 1/2 c. Crisco
3 c. all purpose flour
1 egg
5 Tbs. cold water
1 Tbs. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 min. until coarse.
in a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and pour it into the flour/shortening mixture.  Add water, vinegar, and salt.
Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Separate the dough into thirds.  Form 3 evenly sized balls and place each into a large Ziploc bag.  Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about 1/2 inch thick).  Seal the bags and place them in the freezer.  (If you will be using it immediately, still put it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to chill)
When ready to use, remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 15 min.  Roll dough on floured surface.  Start at center and working out.  Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it's too moist.
 
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
(the recipe calls for more rhubarb than strawberries, Amanda said she likes more strawberries than rhubarb.  The amount in the parenthesis is what I used)
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
3 Tbs. quick cooking tapioca
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
dash of cinnamon
1 tsp. grated orange rind (opt.)
1Tbs. butter
3 c. 1/2 inch pieces of fresh rubarb
(I used 1 1/2 c.)
1 c. fresh strawberries, sliced
(I used 2 1/2 c.)
In large bowl mix together the sugar, tapioca, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  Add the rhubarb, strawberries, and orange rind.  Stir until the mixture coats the spoon.  Let stand for 15 min.
 

Line a 9 inch pie plate with your pastry.  Spoon in the strawberry rhubarb mixture.  Dot the top of the mixture with the butter.  Cover the pie with another pie pastry. Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 min., or until browned.
 
 
 
I tried it with whip cream and ice cream.  Must admit that the ice cream won out!
 

 
YUM-O!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 
 

 

32 comments

Sarah said...

Yum-o is right! Oh, I'm wishing for a slice of pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

The Country Nest said...

That pie looks yummy. The crust looks pretty too. I am craving a piece :)

Debbie said...

Looks so good...and your little pie bird is so sweet. I've never made a pie with a top crust...maybe it's time to try. Thanks for the recipe.

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, your little bird is adorable and that pie looks great! The pie crust recipe looks easy enough. I've got to bake some pies in June for one of my soninlove's birthday so may have to try out the crust recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bquiltin said...

hmnnnn think I'll bake a pie tonite! Wonderful Jan

HWIT BLOGG said...

The pie looks really good and tasty! I must make a rhubarb pie soon...
Have a great week, take care!
Titti

Mary Ann Potter said...

Ahhh, pie --- a major food group!

Regarding healthy eating, I see nothing wrong with treating yourself. Feeling deprived is a terrible thing, and I don't think that's healthy. My secret is eating half portions.

Susie said...

Jann, Oh my ice cream...it seals the deal.LOL. That pie is awesome looking. You made me laugh about bikinis. It's be 25 years since I wore one. Hey I wasn't always an overweight old lady. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Betty said...

Congratulations Jann on making pie with a top crust...they both turned out Beautifully! And I would agree you gotta have vanilla ice cream with rhubarb pie. drool Warm Hugs,

mimi_62 said...

Yum!! You win a blue ribbon!! Beautiful!

NanaDiana said...

That looks delicious--rhubarb is one of my favorite pies. Looks like you have TWO of them there? YUMMY! xo Diana

Liz said...

I have seen this pie crust recipe before but never tried it. Your crust looks so flakey I am going to try it for sure! My rhubarb isn't quite ready but when it is I am coming back to this recipe for sure!!

Tea in the Library said...

Yum!!!! I will def. be trying this. I love strawberry rhubarb pie. Have you ever listened to any of Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon stories? He wrote and performed a wonderful piece titled, Rhubarb.

Joy Junktion said...

I don't bake much anymore, I'd be eating way too much if I did! Those pies (both of them) look delish, I'm sure you enjoyed! How to you make concrete bird baths with leaves?? That sounds fascinating! Have a super rest of your week! Blessings, Cindy

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

My favorite pie is pecan, too, Jann! Your pie looks wonderful, and I have made that pie crust. I've never eaten a rhubarb pie, but I'd love to try it.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

My pie crust also has the egg in it. It's mahvelous, dahling, like your DELECTABLE pies!

Hugs,
Kelley~

Kim said...

Those pies look rather delish, Jann! I might have to bake one or two....it's just as well my bathers are the 'neck to knee' variety!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann,
Your pie looks amazing and it reminds me of my childhood when my aunt would make this pie! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Marcia said...

YUMMO! I'll take mine with one scoop, please.
Glad it's you and not me topping those pies. They look great! I usually make apple crumb and pecan.
Thx for the recipe.

Bliss said...

Rhubarb desserts are probably my favorite at this time of year. I make one handed down called a torte, but I don't think that is the correct baking term. I don't care though - it has a custard filling and it's delicious!

Trina said...

One of my favorite pies. Although I will confess it's also one of the most difficult to bake, well at least the part of making it look all nice and magazine picture perfect. Now just the baking for the yum mines, now that's a whole different story and it appears you've got that down. Your little blackbird (pie bird) is the most adorable thing ever. Hope you enjoyed that tasty pie.

cynthia lee designs said...

Now...I'm hungry for pie!! Love the bird in your pie...so cute. It brings back memories to me...of helping my grandma making pies and I got to put the bird in the pie.
hugs,
Cindy

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Oh yum Jann! Those pies look amazing, I think that I can smell them from here. lol Enjoy your rainy day!Hugs, Jo

Winnie said...

What a fantastic pie Jan !! I'd give a lot to eat a huge slice :) We don't have rhubarb here so I'm jealous :)

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I should try one for my hubby- he loves this kind of pie and I've never made one. I have a leaf bowl from my sister in-law made from a rhubarb leaf too!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I have made the same strawberry rhubarb pie with ready made crust for years and years but your recipes are different enough that I may have to try them! What do you use the rhubarb for if not for baking?

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Cute pie bird Jan and that pie looks delish!

Unknown said...

This post could have been written by me LMHO !
I also have a rhubarb plant ( 2 of them in fact ) that I haven't used - although I did chop it all up and stick it in the freezer last year so that I could pretend I was going to - guess it's time to throw it out, right?
I also only make crustless pies - like Lemon Meringue and Chocolate cream !
And lastly I made 2 huge batches of soup in the last week - we must be soul sisters LOL
EXCEPT - you did an exceptional job on that pie and I adore that bird steamer!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Forgot to mention I'm pinning - now that I know what to do with rhubarb !

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Your pie really looks mouth-watering, Jann! I have a weakness for pecan pie as well :) Thanks for sharing this delicious Strawberry rhubarb pie recipe with us. And I adore your cute pie bird :) Hugs, Poppy

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jann, nothing wrong with those pies! A beautiful sight to me!

Stephanie said...

YUM! Your pie looks divine, Jann, and the crust looks so flaky and delicious. I made some rhubarb cobbler this evening for my hubby since it was his birthday today :)

Thanks so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. I am so glad you join the party. Happy weekend! Hugs!

Instagram