Planting Party

Hello my friends,  yesterday the weather was absolutely gorgeous and hubby and I spent the day spreading mulch.
 
While we were at it I planted some Canna and Gladiola bulbs, and sprinkled a few Zinnia seeds.
 
At the end of the day I was feeling a little tired, but I perked myself up by throwing a little planting party.
 
 
Yeah, I was the only one to attend, but it sure was fun!  lol!
 
I visited three nurseries this week and boy was it ever delightful.  Just walking inside and seeing all of that beauty brings a smile to my face!
 
I love planting my vintage containers.
 
This old spreader received a fern, marigolds, impatiens, and a trailing Petunia.
 

 
I scored this sweet thing at last weeks get away to St. George.
I kept it simple and filled it with Snapdragons.
 


This little ice cream bucket gets filled with impatiens every year.  It's about the only thing that will thrive in that small space.

 
I've got lots more to do, but what a fun start!
 
 



I bought this cute yellow stool at a yard sale in St. George as well.
 
Perfect to hold one of my minnow buckets!
 

 
I love the pretty leaves of this variegated impatiens.

 
This morning I decided to hang the begonia planter with the bow on the old door out on the front porch.
 
It has a flat back and hangs nicely.
 
I stepped outside and went to remove the Forsythia wreath that I had on there.
 
Well my friends, that wreath isn't going anywhere. . .it was really hard to see, but a bird has made it's nest on the top of it.
 
 
 
Hubby stood on a stool to get this picture.
But look at this one.
 
See what I mean about hard to see? Smart bird hid her nest well!
 
 
A peek inside revealed one tiny little blue egg.


 



I hope to hear chirping out there soon!
 
Finding this just made my day a little bit brighter!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 
 
 

26 comments

Art and Sand said...

I love all of your cute containers!

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

Your flowers look lovely in those vintage containers! And there's nothing like seeing a bird's nest. It's a reminder of new life to come or new life that has begun. Lovely Sunday post! Have a great week! Diane

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

Jann,

It all looks so pretty I just love it. We have so much more to do in our garden but the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating lately.

Hugs from OKlahoma,

Valerie

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh how delightful, Jann!

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Jann, what a beautiful post. i love love love your planters and you made them all look so very beautiful!!! we once had a bird build her nest in a wreath on our front door and she had 4 eggs. Well as you can imagine those baby birds get bigger and bigger and our door was a mess but they all survived and eventually they went off on their own. I moved the wreath the fence the next time the mommy bird put her nest in it. Glad yours isn't on your front door. Love Spring and thank you for sharing. Having a cuppa, Beverly

Gayle said...

What an eclectic collection of containers. Can't wait until you share them blooming.

Anonymous said...

A planting party, I love it! The inventive ways you have planted everything in such cute containers is both inspiring and beautiful!

20 North Ora said...

Jann - love all of your various and unusual planters! Aren't bird's nest just the most beautiful creation and then to have that perfect little blue egg in there. The wreath will definitely have to stay a while!

Judy

Mary Ann Potter said...

Your vintage containers make your plantings even more lovely, but it's that sweet bird's nest that captured my heart! We have Eastern king birds who nest every year on a beam inside our front porch. It's so lovely watching the babies and the exquisite care their parents give them.

Julie said...

Looks great, Jann! Your flower "pots" have a lot of character!

Kim said...

Love all your happy plantings in your beautiful containers. If I was a wee li'l bird I would set up my nest in that gorgeous wreath at your front door too!!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love all the pretty containers that you used to plant your flowers in!! We have a robin that builds a nest every year on top if our porch light. Hope you see a baby bird soon.
~Cindy

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love gardening containers that are unexpected. Love what you've done.

Creations By Cindy said...

I would have loved to have been with you for your planting party! Everything is so pretty. Makes me wanna dig in some dirt now! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Anne's Attic - Design said...

How fun to find a tiny nest so close to the house. Nature is so beautiful. Looks like you have really been working hard in the yard. Your planters are awesome. Have a great day Jann! Hugs, Jo

Rose L said...

You brought spring inside.

Adrienne said...

I like your planters! (My Dad found a little bird nest in the Blackberry bushes!)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

How clever to use vintage containers to plant in! Now why didn't I think of that? What do you think of planting in old gas cans, provided they are clean of course! How precious to have a baby bird hatch on your door!

mimi_62 said...

LOVE it all. sweet' "chirps" soon.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love all of your charming container gardens, Jenn! And congratulations on the birth of your new grandchild!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Your sweet pretties make me so happy! I am crazy over your impatiens and ferns and all of your darling containers to place them in.
Warm Hugs,
Jemma

Diana said...

What a delightful post, Jann :) Love every single one of your vintage planters, esp. the one you just bought in St. George. I think it's sweet that you, who loves birds, gets a bird nest and egg "planted" right on her front door!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Such adorable planters... I never would have thought a bird would build a nest there.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I so love your creativity, Jann. Thanks for the inspirational use of those flower containers. 😍

Anonymous said...

Your yard must look beautiful with all of these lovely flower containers! You've inspired me to go on an expedition and find something unique/antique as a pot for flowers!

Fran said...

I always like to see your green planter with the bow! I'll be hitting the nurseries myself this week to fill my planters and seeing what you've planted makes me want to get started now! I always sprinkle zinnia seeds, they are the only seed that grows well for me and I LOVE to cut them and fill up my vases. Hope you are having a lovely Mother's Day! :) --Fran

Instagram