Highly ‘Sawed’ after

Ever since I saw the decorated old saws at a local vintage sale (Fleattitude), I have been wanting to make one.

You might say, an old saw was highly ‘sawed’ after’ by me.  I had one that was my sisters, but the handle was broken.

A few weeks ago hubby took me to an estate sale in S.L.C.  That was quite an experience.  His first estate sale.  Must admit, he handled it well, and was great to have along to help carry my junk treasures!

After I shopped the house I suggested we go around back and check out the garage.  There they were, three old saws with wooden handles just begging me to take them home.

It’s now found a new place. . .out on my front porch.

IMG_3796

At first I thought I wanted it to say, ‘Cut your own tree’.  But then I realized if I went with ‘Fresh Balsam Fir’ that I could leave it out for the Winter months.

My daughter, Karrah cut the words on her Cricket.   I stenciled it using a Golden Brown acrylic paint.

IMG_3795 

My sis, Julie and friend, Dolly came up from down South and we had a great time giving our saws a new life!

I had picked up 4 of these little burlap bags at a yard sale last summer for a quarter each.  Perfect for holding both real and faux greenery.

IMG_3797

Some berries, a touch of sparkle,  burlap and muslin.

IMG_3799

IMG_3798

IMG_3800

IMG_3794

If you come to visit and can’t find me, check outside.  I might be sawing logs. lol!

Merry Christmas!

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Knick of Time Tuesday

We Call it Olde Party

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Weds.

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

24 comments

NanaDiana said...

LOVE this idea. I have painted saws in the past but have not seen anything like this. I may have to copy that! xo Diana

camp and cottage living said...

Oh, so cute, Jann!
Now I wonder where all of those old saws are packed....

Patty Rumaker said...

Those saws look great and I love the way you have embellished them. I must say, I go to estate sales and only find way overpriced items. I have actually seen things for sale at estate sales that I can by in the store (brand new) for less money. BUT I see others get very lucky - maybe I am going to the wrong ones! Happy Holidays!
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
This is great. I love it. What a unique and clever design.
Kris

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love the font you used, Jann. It's really gorgeous.

priscilla said...

Love your saw !Very creative Jann !

Bernideen said...

That is really sweet!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

So unique! I love it!

cynthia lee designs said...

I've painted on saws for some of my family members, but they all have had scenes on them. Love your saw!!...and now I want one like yours with just words on it.
hugs,
Cindy

Art and Sand said...

You are just so creative!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

The saw is just too fabulous! You did a great job and making a stencil with the Cricket is genius... I have to put words on a box and that will be a perfect method. Your decorations are so cool Jann!

Merry Christmas! Edie Marie

Babs said...

How cute! And, what a great job you did with styling, and painting the letters. The burlap bag and little arrangement are the perfect touch, and it looks great on the green chair.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hee-hee! Cute title and saw!

Sweet Woodruff said...

It's so pretty. And I love the handle.

One More Time Events said...

This is great!! love it!

Cynthia said...

Jann, this is beautiful and I love the writing that you chose and it will be perfect for the whole winter.

Cynthia

Japolina said...

You did a really good job!
By the way, stop by my blog this week. I'm giving away a gorgeous scarf courtesy of Fresh Produce! www.japolina.blogspot.com

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh what a beautiful saw!..

Dana Bishop said...

It's not easy to paint a script font. You did a wonderful job. Your arrangement is very festive and best of all, inviting! I love crafting with friends; it's like a co-op of creative ideas.

Rose L said...

I have seen some painted with a winter scene on the blades. Cute!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Jann,

The saw handle has such pretty carving, it was begging to be decorated.

Merry Christmas!
Debra

Jamie | anderson + grant said...

Great idea Jann! I have never seen anything like this. Your painting is great and I love the mix of greenery and berries tucked in the bag. The handle on that saw is so unique. Love the whole piece!

Tea in the Library said...

I've been hoarding an old saw ! I am SOoooooOOOO copying this!

Anonymous said...

GREAT post title, haha! I love how you painted it and decorated it. Now I want to make one! Thanks so much for sharing this at my History & Home party, I hope you keep coming back, each Tuesday :) Wishing you blessings ~ Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Instagram