Large and In Charge. . .

I like to think that hubby and I are in charge here at the Olson home.  But…for the month of December that’s not the case.
We have a ‘Glitter Santa’ that is LARGE and in CHARGE!
IMG_3483
I have had this ‘jolly old elf’ for over 4 years and this is only the second time I have used him.  Don’t get me wrong, I love him,  But he is large!  I bought him off of PB clearance for a mere $25 in July of ‘2009’.  I could hardly believe the price when I saw him.  Knowing that we were moving into a new home with large walls I couldn’t resist.  Much to my surprise when he arrived he was rolled up and in a tube.  I had to have him mounted onto a canvas frame.  That cost me $85.  Still he’s worth every penny.
It’s hard to tell in the picture, but he is glittery.  So pretty!  And look, I think he has a twinkle in his eye.
IMG_3470
You can bet the grandies aren’t misbehavin with this guy around.
Because I wanted him to be the main attraction I kept the mantle fairly simple.
IMG_3467
To compliment the pinecones in the garland I painted clay pots green (using only one coat so some of the pot color would show through) and created pine cone trees.  The garland is a reproduction, but I love it’s vintage look!
IMG_3476
IMG_3469
Santa has a truckload of pretty ornaments he’s going to deliver.  The blue and gold one is from our very first Christmas tree. 
IMG_3474
Every delivery truck should have a pretty wreath.
IMG_3475
He brought along a few tickets for you to write your wish list.
IMG_3472
The lantern was an estate sale find for $25.  Love the red glass!
IMG_3471
Here’s the big picture.  Sorry about the glare.  It’s hard to get a decent pic with the large window to the right of it.
IMG_3477
I have had my old sled for years.  I move it around a lot.  Sometimes it’s outside.  This year it got to stay in by the fire where it’s nice and warm.  The Lake Placid skates were found at Salvation Army in WI for $5.
IMG_3478
My vintage Santa and sleigh sit upon an old seed box upon the hearth. it’s joined by a music chain and a couple of glittery stars.  I really wanted to sprinkle snow around his base, but I knew the little grands would have it everywhere.
IMG_3479
Hope you’re being nice and not naughty.  Remember, Santa has his eye on you!
IMG_3470
hugs,
Jann
I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Common Ground for Be Inspired
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/12/gold-and-silver-metallic-starburst-and.html
http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/2013/12/3rd-annual-christmas-mantel-party.html

24 comments

Unknown said...

This is great! How cool is he??? :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I think his eyes just moved...like the Mona Lisa! :0 )

priscilla said...

I am in love ! Santa is fabulous ! Love all your other decorations :)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, I love your mantel and the large Santa and sled. It looks so festive. I hope you are enjoying the holidays. Julie

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Wow, he is large and fantastic...looks great on the mantle!

bj said...

I love your huge Santa....:)

Debra@CommonGround said...

He really is amazing!! I think he'd have everyone making sure they were nice!

Susie said...

Oh Jann, My favorite things are the sled and the little red truck. So cute. I bet the g.kids love the big santa. Hope you are safe from the bad weather. We are going to get some nasty stuff the next two days. I'll be bald...pulling my hair out:):) I have my snow shovel ready. xoxo, Susie

Dewena said...

He is wonderful! Worth all the trouble you went to and he looks great with the Christmas decor below him. And that vintage Santa and sleigh is darling. I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh I love your jolly old elf!

lynne said...

That is one large Santa! I bet the grandkids love him, I know mine would. That sled is awesome! Very pretty Christmas magic!!

cynthia lee designs said...

Santa looks great on your mantel!! I'm sure your grandkids will love it!!
Hugs,
Cindy

Micupoftea said...

What a big Santa- perfect for your mantle! I notice that interior designers often use one large focal point instead of many small items. Your home is charming :)

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Gotta love that jolly old fella! Especially if he glitters and twinkles. Your entire fireplace scene looks so warm and inviting. I'm going to use our boys old sled on our hearth this year also. It's so fun to get it out and remember when they were little.

Please stop by to see our holiday post, Marie has done some fabulous things this year you wont want to miss. We'd love to have you visit!

Holiday blessings, Edie Marie

Lori E said...

The little truck is so cute. Your mantle looks great and the seed box display is nice and country, right up my alley for decorating.

The Victorian Girl said...

I'm going to have to find a little ol' red truck. That is sooo cute! If you don't want to have to worry about putting the snow around the base of the Santa & sleigh, you might try using a little bit of Poly-fil or batting. Not so tempting for the grands!

Cynthia said...

This is a really cool piece love the glitter. Your fireplace looks so pretty all decked out. Love the bottle brush wreath. I plan on looking for them next year and to add two more bottle brush trees to my collection.

Cynthia

farmhouse-story said...

very cool santa piece, jann:) and the more i see old trucks, the more i want one--yours is awesome! happy weekend!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Thanks so much for all your visits and kind comments! I have the same skates in two different sizes....
Love all your Christmas decor...

Hugs,
Debbie

Kris said...

Jann, that Santa is awesome! What a great piece to have every year!!!! GOOD find!!!!!
xo Kris

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome Santa!! Your mantel looks fabulous!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love the Santa! Your holiday décor looks beautiful!

ThrifterSisters said...

Love that Santa and that is definitely a bargain for Pottery Barn!

I am forever on the hunt for a red truck like yours to either hold old bottle brush trees or ornaments. Yours looks great & just makes me want one more :-)

Enjoy your Sunday, Jann!

~Erica

One More Time Events said...

Hi Stopping by to let you know you have been featured a One More Time Events….Thanks for sharing hope you can make it to this weeks party…Hugs Tammy

Instagram