The Beehive State

Before we know it Fall will be upon us.  The weather here lately has been much cooler than usual and we’ve had lots of rain.

The feeling of Fall is definitely in the air.

As much as I’d like summer to hang around for just a tad longer. . . I’m afraid it’s not going to happen.

I think we are seeing the last hurrah of summer.

I have a large Black Eyed Susan plant at the end of the sidewalk leading up to our front door.  It is covered with bees.  My son, Dalan teased and said it was a death trap and  that it would keep me from getting visitors.  I laughed and replied, “Maybe it will keep the solicitors away”
.
DSC02997

The blooms are not large, it’s an old fashioned flower.

DSC02999

Well, you know how one thing leads to another. . .the thought of bees prompted me to share the last of my kitchen summer décor.  I have somewhat of a b&w and yellow theme going on. 

DSC02766

DSC03004

DSC03007

Vintage yellow dishes take center stage in my wicker baby scales.  Notice that I had to display my recent jadite find.  A little green is always nice, right?

DSC02777

DSC02776

DSC03011

DSC03009

DSC03001

I picked up these sunflower plates this week at a thrift store.

DSC03002

These little bowls are a set in various sizes.  After searching google I found that they are storage containers and should have plastic lids.  I found them at a thrift store quite a while ago and there were no lids.  They look right at home tucked inside my sunflower cloche.

DSC03003

There’s a few touches of gold and brown.

DSC03005

I love this rustic scale!  I had never seen one like this when I ran across it in St. George, UT.

DSC03006

A little bit of cotton to keep you cool on a hot summer day.

DSC02758

There’s lots of colors going on here in my hexie runner, but do you see the honeycomb shape?
















 

 

 

 

And how about the wire cloche that I made, do you see the hexagon there?

DSC02767

A closer look. . .yup, that’s honeycomb!

DSC02768

Did you know that Utah is called the “Beehive State”?

DSC02760

Utahans relate the beehive symbol to industry and the pioneer virtues of thrift and perseverance. The beehive was chosen as the emblem for the provisional State of Deseret in 1848 and was maintained on the seal of the State of Utah when Utah became a state in 1896.


My great grandparents George and Jenny Freestone introduced the first two beehives to the Vernal area.


DSC02761
I’ve tucked a few treasures into a thrifted tote that I gave a coat of A.S. chalk paint.  All of the goodies were found at thrift stores also except for the recipe cards and honey.

DSC02762

I recently added some height under my bee skep.  A $4 score of a b&w (the top is black) Cosco stool at our local thrift.  It was filthy, but a soak in a sink full of bleach took care of that.

DSC03000

I’d like to leave you with a few Bee’s to live by.

Bee grateful
Bee smart
Bee clean
Bee true
Bee humble
Bee prayerful
Bee postitive
Bee still
Bee involved.

According to the former President of the LDS church, President Hinckley,
This is the way to BEE.


I think it's wise advice for anyone.

And of course, always Bee happy!


And a sunny sunflower that just popped up by my ladder.  The perfect transition from summer to Fall.

DSC02937

hugs,
Jann

 

17 comments

Unknown said...

your Black Eyed Susan's are incredible! I also love how you have the honeybee theme through out your house. Wonderful keepsakes! Thanks for sharing Jann.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a great treasure trove of vintage collectibles. Really like the use of the yellow with the black and white.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your weekend.

mzzbev said...

I love old-fashion flowers. My bush of Black-Eyed Susans is just as big. I also have one Sunflower. I planted the seed just before mid-June. I was so thrilled that it bloomed just this past Monday. I agree, Sunflowers are a great transition into Fall. I love your Summer kitchen though! :) -Bev

cynthia lee designs said...

Your Black Eyed Susan bush is beautiful...but I would have to stay away from it. I have really bad reactions when stung by bees.
~Cindy

sweetvintageofmine said...

I LOVE your flowers and all your pretties in the kitchen!! Beautiful theme with the yellow and black....aaahhh but that ladder with the morning glories and sunflower steals the show!!! LOVE it~~~have a beautiful and blessed weekend~~~Roxie

Rita C at Panoply said...

What a cute theme you had going here, Jann, along with the history. I wasn't aware of Utah's namesake. Great little thrifty finds this week, too! And yes, I have eagle eyes for Jadeite (I collect it), so that immediately caught my eye!).

My garden looks like a hot mess of a jungle right now! I have been lax in cutting back my bee balm, black-eyed Susans, coneflowers and sunflowers that are already spent. My hostas are in bloom, but the foliage is crispy on the edges, and the sedum is starting to show some pink, while the perennial mum is forming buds. Definitely a different summer!

Enjoy your weekend.
Rita

Leovi said...

Nice photos, great flowers! the wonderful honeycomb !! Abrazos!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Such a beautiful Black Eyed Susan shrub..and obviously the bees think so too!...Beautiful flowers and thanks for the summer inspiration...Have a great weekend!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the Black Eyed Susan's and your Bee Themed kitchen items are adorable. All that brown and gold is done so well. Wish I had more light in my kitchen but I'm just thankful for my small apt as is!
hugs,
Linda

Fran said...

If I were a bee, I'd BEE attracted to those beautiful flowers! Love the black and yellow pyrex! And I agree, green is always nice, especially Jadite. :)
--Fran

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Jann your kitchen vignettes are so pretty...I love them all!! I especially LOVE the ladder you have outside with the vines and the sunflower growing up it...BEAUTIFUL!

priscilla said...

Very pretty Jann ! We have had the weird weather here too! I am not ready for summer to be over ! Love all your dishes and vignettes in the kitchen !

priscilla said...

Very pretty Jann ! We have had the weird weather here too! I am not ready for summer to be over ! Love all your dishes and vignettes in the kitchen !

Karie said...

Oh Jann, what a darling post today. We live in the Beehive State, and we are so blessed. Love everything you showed. . you are such an inspiration. So much creativity! And that Black Eyed Susan flower bush is gorgeous. One of my favorites. I wish mine would start getting big. BTW, I am starting to do some quilt tops. . wish me luck. Just another creative outlet, I hope I can continue with it. Love you quilts. Also, I am afraid Fall is knocking at the door. After all the rain we have had the temps are so much cooler. Afraid it is here. Have a wonderful weekend my dear friend, Hugs, Karie

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Jann

It's been awhile since I stopped by, I'm feeling the same way about summer. Loved seeing all your bright colors and pops of yellow. I had a bee skeep in our garden one year, but it only lasted that year with all the rain. Now I want a new one.

Have a wonderful week!

Leann

Art and Sand said...

Fun Hooters!


I love your burst of yellow in the flowers and the hexie runner is so cute. I have only made quilts, but I like the idea of a runner. I also have some of the same fabrics.

Melissa said...

LOVING the displays!

Instagram