A Deerly Beloved Thrift Store Vignette

Recently Alice from Thoughts from Alice requested bloggers to join in a ‘Holiday Thrift Store Challenge’.
 
She was worried whether or not people would be up for it.
Well, did we ever surprise her.  .  . 30  people answered her call and I happened to be one of them.
 
The challenge was to buy something (or things) for $25 or less and transform them into something for Christmas or create a vignette.
 
Holiday-Thrift-Store-Challenge 
 
I didn’t hesitate a bit when I read her e-mail.  Sounded like a grand idea to me!
 
The past three years I have had a bit of a vintage deer fetish.  Every time I go to a thrift shop or an estate sale I have my eyes peeled for them
.
Recently I scored this sweet thing for $1.  He’s velvety soft and has a tag saying “made in Norway”.
 
DSC00267
 
Every year before it freezes I bring my Rosemary plant indoors.  I love using it for Christmas décor as well as cooking with it.
 
It was a teeny tiny start that I picked up at Walmart for $1.50 on Clearance.  Originally I planted it in my wheelbarrow fairy garden as a little pine tree.  By Fall it had become a giant tree. lol!
 
I thought that it would make a cute ‘Christmas’ tree!
 
and it will smell wonderful as well.

Rosemary is the perfect plant for Christmas. . .it signifies love and remembrance.
What a sweet reminder of the Love we have for our Savior and the Remembrance that he died for us.
 
DSC00270
 
I planted it in this rustic galvanized pail that I picked up for $4 last summer.
Tied a bit of burlap around the center and stuck in a few branches.
 
Perfect for showing off a few of my vintage ornaments.  I bought the box of Shiny Brites last year for $4.
 
DSC00271
 
The long ornaments are not a thrift find.  They are from our first Christmas tree  back in ‘1972’.
 
I love how some of the ornaments have remnants of spray snow on them.
 
DSC00272
 
The bottle brush tree was a damaged goods store find for $3.  I think I am going to try bleaching it.
 
DSC00269
 
Even the sprinkling of snow was a thrift find.  I can always use more snow and  the bag was only 50 cents.
 
I played a little and tried putting this estate sale (free) mirror in the background.  It was brown and I painted it with homemade chalk paint.
 
DSC00268
 
The reflection from the mirror is kind of fun.
 
DSC00266
 
Which vignette do you like best?  With or without the mirror?  
 
Even if you had to buy a Rosemary plant this is very economical.
 
This simple ‘thrift store’ vignette cost me right around $12 and took about 15  minutes to throw together..  It’s sure to be Deerly beloved by me!
 
hugs,
Jann

Hop over and visit all of these very creative gals and see the amazing things they did to fulfill this 'Holiday Thrift Store' challenge!
 
Glam Christmas Throw Pillows by Thoughts from Alice



A Deerly Beloved Thrift Store Vignette by Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson





Christmas Cloche by Craftberry Bush

A Vintage Mantel for Winter by Finding Silver Pennies



DIY Holiday Walling Hanging by House of Hipsters


Christmas Decor from Thrifty Find by Town and Country Living

The Trellis Tree by Cozy Little House


DIY Centerpiece Tray by Cherished Bliss





Rustic Christmas Tree by Delineate Your Dwelling





DIY Crocks by So Much Better With Age


46 comments

priscilla said...

Love your deer Jann and the rosemary tree ! I think I would use the mirror as a tray and put all my goodies on it :)

Alice Wingerden said...

Love, love, love this vignette Jann! So whimsical. I actually love both with and without the mirror. You have quite the knack for these things. Thanks for joining with me in the challenge!!

Alice Wingerden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One More Time Events said...

Very Cute Jann and love the Idea of using the rosmary .. Hope you have a great weekend...

Junkchiccottage said...

Love your vignette Jann. That little deer is so adorable. I love the simple and love the ornaments you have. Again my friend queen of holiday vignettes!!!!
Kris

Unknown said...

I LOVE the little deer how darling.

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Such a cute vignette!

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann what a cute vignette and I love this challenge! FUN! I like the mirror! I'm going to visit the other links!
hugs,
Linda

Pamela Gordon said...

Jann I love these sweet vignettes with your thrift store finds. The rosemary tree with ornaments is adorable in the old bucket. Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving week ahead. Blessings. Pam

Kris said...

I have such a soft spot for this vintagy looking deer too. I never see them here though. Boo Hoo!!
I always love all of your displays!!
xo Kris

Little Farmstead said...

Adorable!!

Danielle said...

So very sweet. Love the deer and ornaments! x

Brenda Pruitt said...

I like the vignette with the mirror. Gives it dimension. Your little arrangement is adorable. I wish I'd thought to bring in my rosemary. The scent is so intense. I will keep my eye peeled for vintage ornaments. Even though I gave up my big tree, I see I could tuck them in here and there! Precious vignette!
Brenda

cherished bliss said...

This is so sweet. What a cute little guy to display! : ) Beautiful job!!

angie said...

danke für die inspirationen!!! einen schönen freitag wünscht angie

Restoration House Interiors said...

So fun! Love what you did with your finds!!

Anonymous said...

I love your vignette especially with the mirror. It adds more sparkle and interest. The deer is adorable!

Kyla - House Of Hipsters said...

I'm loving your little rosemary tree! This turned out so pretty! Kyla @ http://houseofhipsters.com/

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I too have a thing lately for small deer, flocked or porcelain. I have collected three of them so far and never thought to use them for Christmas decorating. Love your vignette both ways!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

jann, i love it in the pail! it looks perfect and i love the addition of ornaments! i just love rosemary, too! smells amazing!

Tammy...ClothandPatina said...

What a charming and whimsical vignette! And the deer is adorable! I remember having these little flocked animals when I was young. I always love rosemary and so perfect at this time of year!

Love the vignette both ways!

Tammy

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Love your vignette! So pretty!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I love it, it's adorable! I have plenty of buckets and a lamb? so maybe I can copy!

Unknown said...

Very pretty, Jann! The little deer is so cute, and the rosemary makes a perfect little tree! And the mirror is such a nice touch!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Such a cute vignette! Love the rosemary in the pail too! I love having rosemary in my kitchen, such a lovely aroma.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a sweet vignette, Jann! I think i like it with the mirror for an added reflection.

Elaine said...

Jan, I am foolish over vintage Christmas balls! I love this!

camp and cottage living said...

I love homemade Christmas vignette! Yours is so sweet with the deer, the old bucket and the rosemary plant.

Susie said...

Jann, That is the cutest little vignette. I like your deer. and those old ornaments. Blessings for a wonderful weekend, xoxo,Susie

Melissa said...

What a gorgeous vignette! Shiny Brites are my favorite and I am totally in love with that sweet little deer!!

Melissa @ Shabby Love

Rose said...

some of those Christmas balls are from the 50's. My parents had those and passed a few on to me. They are extremely delicate!

My thrift store addiction said...

Oh Jann, LOVE this vignette--what a fun challenge! Blessings, Cecilia

niki said...

Fun vignette and I love rosemary too.

Unknown said...

I love this! It is adorable! I actually like it with and without the mirror!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Love your creative display Jann! I like the mirror, think the reflection enhances your sweet display. Somethong about those cute deer, I agree.

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

So adorable! Great Christmas vignette ;)
Hugs, Jamie

Charlotte said...

What a sweet little vignette! All of the little details came together wonderfully! (And I love the mirror, but like the vignette without it :) )
xx Charlotte

Unknown said...

What a sweet vignette! I love the ornaments so much!

A Joyful Cottage said...

I adore that little deer. So sweet, Jann. I like the vignette with the mirror. It adds another dimension. I like the rosemary, too. Nicely done. xxx ~ Nancy

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

What a darling vignette!!! I love it and I think I like it better without the mirror. Not sure why because usually I prefer mirrors. Although it looks great either way. You did a fabulous job. Hugs, Beverly

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

A lovely vignette and it must have been so much fun to create it for the challenge!

farmhouse-story said...

LOVE your little tree, jann! and the mirror is great!

Dana Bishop said...

This is so adorably creative. I love it! The deer? What a find.

Emily @ Two Purple Couches said...

I love this vignette both ways! And I love that your "tree" is rosemary! I brought my small potted rosemary in for winter, as well, but never thought to decorate it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Nicki said...

You're right-rosemary IS perfect for Christmas! I love that fragrant plant, love the meaning, and love what you've done with it. I've decorated plenty of bare branches, but never thought to mix them with fresh greens. Just beautiful!

Tea in the Library said...

How did I miss this? Where was I?!?!?! I have several odd little deer - they are something I can never pass up!

Instagram