Cranberries. . .Not Just for Eating!

Well my friends, with Thanksgiving right around the corner our thoughts often turn to turkey, stuffing, and cranberries.
 
I don’t know about you, but I take a bite of turkey and then I follow it with cranberries and stuffing.  Tremendous trio if you ask me!
 
But as tasty as cranberries are, they are just as pretty, don’t you agree?
Now is the time to plant your Paperwhites and Amaryllis if you want  them to be blooming for Christmas.
 
Although Paperwhites don’t require soil for potting I chose to plant mine in dirt so that I can top them with, (you guessed it cranberries).
 
DSC00277
 
Just something about those pretty plump berries that are a delight.
I especially love them when the white blooms burst open.  You can see that mine are just barely popping their little heads out.
 
Here’s a picture of some that I planted last year.  They had grown to this height after only a week or so.
 
IMG_3707_thumb[1]
 
They all start out in my kitchen window, but some will be moved throughout the house when they start to bloom.
 
DSC00274
 
These two clay pots have been covered with a red with gold stars tissue paper.  I didn’t do these myself.  Found them years ago in a close-out box at a local shop for $.25 cents ea.
 
Easy to do though, using Mod Podge.
 
Cranberries are also pretty layered with fruit.
Here I’ve used cranberries, oranges, limes, and lemons.
 
cranberries, lemons, and limes
 
I like them better in a tall narrow clear vase, but all of mine have been used to hold candies and such in my Christmas basement décor.
 
You can also cover them with water and let them float.
You do need to change the water every so often or it will get rancid.
 
DSC00281
 
One of my favorite things to do with cranberries is to make a spice simmer.
I dumped the entire contents of the jar in a pan and added cinnamon and cloves.  You can even throw in a sprig of pine.  I didn’t have any handy so I threw in some Rosemary.
 
DSC00285
 
Bring it to a boil and then turn down and let simmer.  Just check it occasionally and continue to add water as needed.
 
(I won’t lie, I’ve cooked mine dry before)
 
You can even refresh it with more spices and it will last you for quite a while.  I toss it when it gets looking kind of ugly and make a fresh batch.
 
Growing up my mom always had a simmer going on her stove.  She always used an old coffee can.
 
It made our home smell wonderful!
 
Can you believe that this ‘Mrs. Olson’ does not even own a coffee can?  Folgers would not be happy with me. lol!
 
But look what I did have.  Brought this home from my sisters house when I was helping her pack.
 
DSC00286
 
*note. . .make sure your can will hold water.  I filled it with water first and it seemed to do the trick.
 
Now my simmer is as sweet smelling as maple syrup!
and so is my home!
 
Pick up some pretty cranberries while you’re at the store.
 
This week they are sure to be on sale.  I paid $5 for two bags.
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 


14 comments

Susie said...

Jann, I love your cranberry ideas. I bet it smells good shimmering on the stove. I hope your thanksgiving is a wonderful day with family and friends. xoxo,Susie

Stacey said...

Well aren't you smart! I love them on top of the bulbs.

decorayadora said...

Hi dear friend !! I love cranberry!espero que tenga un bendecido comienzo de semana
ceriños

must love junk said...

Jann, you're right, cranberries are so pretty! I love your bulbs in them!
My hubby makes the best cranberry cheesecake :)
Susan

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I never thought to grow bulbs in cranberries, Jann. What a great idea! I love your new can for simmering on your stove,too.

mimi_62 said...

What a sweet post. Your mom would be proud that you're carrying on some of your family traditions.

Kris said...

I love to use fresh cranberries in floral arrangements for Christmas! So pretty and festive!!!
xo Kris

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

Thanks Jann for all the wonderful ideas with cranberries. Here in South Africa the cranberries are very special and I am sure that the juice layers will be a winner.
Lots of blessings for 27th from South Africa.

Maureen Wyatt said...

Oh, I haven't thought of simmering cranberries, but I have had cinnamon sticks simmering in a pot of the woodstove this week.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jann,
Love your cranberry ideas and I bet your home smells so good with those simmering. Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Enjoy the week ahead.
Kris

Dana Bishop said...

Jann your post is layered with great ideas! The cranberries around the paper whites are so pretty! I love the idea! What a burst of color, especially needed as we wait for the bulbs to bloom. You use red so well year 'round. I think that's why your house has such a happy feel.

Hugs, Dana

Gayle said...

I watched a cool video on YouTube over the weekend that shows a fast & easy way to removed the pomegranate seeds from the fruit - normally not a fun job.

living from glory to glory said...

Hi Jann, yes, cranberries are so festive and pretty! I never thought of decorating with them. I think I will just continue to just eat them LOL
Blessings to you!
Happy Thanksgiving Jann!
Love, Roxy

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Cranberries are so pretty...and we often thing of just eating them! You shared some great ideas! Stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Instagram