A Trio of Trays and Tarnished Silver. . .

A Trio of vintage trays was the inspiration for this years Thanksgiving mantle.

DSC00134

After I sat them in place I thought why not carry out more of the tarnished silver.

Lucky for me, I have a few pieces!

An old blue canning jar holds tarnished silverware I’ve picked up at thrift shops here and there.  The tall compote and the little silver dish are recent yard sale finds.

DSC00132

DSC00142

It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without our favorite recipes handed down from generation to generation.  Although I do have my moms old black cookbook, which I cherish; these did not belong to my family.  Still had fun browsing through the bottom one and seeing handwritten recipes.

DSC00133

This small urn is not really tarnished silver, just painted to look like it. The white pumpkins add a subtle softness.

DSC00138

This sweet tray is not in the best of shape, but it was only $2 and I loved the color and flowers!

DSC00135

Both the flower and turkey trays are new finds.  I just love that red and aqua on the turkey!!

DSC00136

Isn’t this little tarnished bud vase cute?  $1.50 at a thrift shop.  And Roses in November?  Unheard of in UT!  The other day I was standing at my kitchen sink, looked out the window and saw this beauty in bud and getting ready to bloom.  I had to go out and snip it.  The large rose actually bloomed and was so pretty, but just this morning it started dropping petals.

DSC00137

This mantle was so simple and took all but 10 minutes to pull together.  Didn’t even use a garland this year.  But I’m loving it’s simplistic beauty!

DSC00141

See the touches of sunshine coming in through the window?  Oh how I love it!

Happy November!!

hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday
Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Thoughts From Alice for Sundays at Home
Bella Rosa Antiques for Let's Talk Vintage
Vintage Inspiration Party




28 comments

Anonymous said...

I love everything on your mantle! Oh so pretty! The urn and tarnished silver go so well with the pretty trays, love it all!

Salmagundi said...

You are always so creative! I have that Freezing and Canning Cookbook that I ordered new from the Farm Journal magazine (back in the OLD days!!!) My folks subscribed to the Farm Journal, and I always enjoyed looking at the recipes in it. Over the years I've used the cookbook many times. Thanks for the memories. Sally

Susie said...

Jann, How cute is your mantle? Love it. I like the cook book touch. xoxo,Susie

Kim said...

That teal tray is stunning! $2?? Steal of the century! :)

Lulu said...

Tarnished silver seems to be quite popular right now which gives me a good excuse not to polish any of mine.

chateau chic said...

I really like your fall mantel, Jann! The colors and variety of textures you used is so pretty...very nicely done!
Mary Alice

NanaDiana said...

Your mantle looks great. I love trays of ALL kinds. I always have. Isn't it funny what speaks to us? Love your silver, too. xo Diana

Deanies Stash said...

Your mantel looks great!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love that it has the undertone of food, perfect for November.

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your mantel...so pretty!! Hope you have a great weekend.
hugs,
Cindy

Unknown said...

I love your vignette Jann! I have that same green tray and I love it too!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Such a great mantle display! Love the way it all balances and sets such a relaxing mood. I love the red teal and tarnished silver.
I would have been pretty excited too with the roses!
Blessings
Susie

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Everything on your mantle looks so pretty together, Jann. I love how the books blend with the background color of the tray. What I love about you is how you find use for beautiful, old, lovely things! Happy weekend to you and may you find more roses to snip!

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi Jann, Doesn't your turkey platter make the room seem holiday ready? I love mine! Your tray vignette looks lovely! Blessings, Cecilia

RachelD said...

It was lovely to have you drop in at LAWN TEA, and thank you SO much for joining us! I'm your #961, and look forward to delving into your wonderful archives.

The mantel trays are simply charming---what stories each piece could tell, and they DO, just by standing testament with their patina, the shine, the writing in the margins by a long-ago hand, and the mystery of the having of things well loved for so long.

The silver tray on the right is my own, with little curved feet, and has held little sandwiches, petits fours, doilied this and that, for many, many years. It would tell a story or two, its ownself.

rchl

Rose said...

When I was a kid almost every household had at least 4 metal trays, and often with floral designs!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

How beautifully it all came together! Thanks for the idea....I have several trays I could use to do something similar!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jann,
Warm welcoming and a bit sentimental which is perfect for this time of the year. I always enjoy incorporating a bit of the past if I can too.
Beautiful!
Have a splendid weekend,
Jemma

Stacey said...

That's such a pretty combination of things and they look great against the stone wall. That $2.00 tray is wonderful!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I like the idea of displaying the books with all your Thanksgiving recipes on your mantel... It makes it "true".

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jann,
Love the pretty pop of color the trays give to the mantel. Gorgeous.
Kris

Sherry Clitheroe (writing as Abigail Leigh Reed) said...

Jann, I love your Thanksgiving mantle. I have a tray just like your aqua one, only it has a black background. And the idea of using cookbooks on the mantle is brilliant. I have some really great old and interesting cookbooks from my mother's collection. Have a great weekend.

~Lorelai
Life With Lorelai

Little Farmstead said...

Charming mantel! Love your trays and special touches. Very warm and inviting...

Tea in the Library said...

Love the pop of bright color with the tarnished silver. Very pretty mantle!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Jann your display looks so nice! In a few weeks I will be decorating my mantle for Christmas... looking forward to it. It is a fun place to get creative and you certainly have it down pat. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and joining up with my "Let's Talk Vintage!" link party!

Diana said...

Your mantel looks lovely Mrs. Olsen :) I've got a "thing" for pumpkins on urns this year. I've got big orange ones on my outside urns and little white ones on my inside ones, just like you!

The Charm of Home said...

This looks great Jann. Thanks for sharing!
Sherry

sandy said...

I love the tarnished silver look so those are my favorite on your mantle!
How fun having those old recipes books! Love it! Have a wonderful week!

Instagram