Quilty Sew Along Fun!

Hello my friends.  Some of you may remember the hexagon table runner that I made last Spring.

DSC02877_thumb[8]

The little ruler I used to make this was given to me by Lori Holt from Bee in My Bonnet.  I was fortunate to meet Lori when I spent a week at my quilting friend, Rae Ann’s cabin.  Lori and Rae Ann are friends as well.  Lori is such a talented quilter who has books, patterns, and her own line of fabric.  It was fun to see her at work.

Recently she shared a ‘Have Yourself a Quilty Little Christmas’ sew along on Instagram .

Rae Ann invited me to join in this sew along.  At first I tried to resist, knowing what a busy time of year it is.  Well, as usual; that didn’t last long.  lol!

I started my first block on Friday sewing along with my friend, Amanda. I am having so much fun!

DSC00252

How lucky are these people to have two trees in their small cottage?  Hee-hee!

I pulled fabrics that I had grouped together for a candy themed applique quilt I want to make.  Some of them I bought from a friend.  She purchased them for a baby quilt and then decided to sale them.

DSC00259

Notice that most of them are not Christmas fabrics.  Just fun colors that will work for this project.

Then came block two:

DSC00253

And three

(these may not be the order Lori did, just the order Ive sewn them in)

DSC00254

Yesterday afternoon I finished my mittens.  I will only use one of these in the quilt, but have plans to make something with the extra pair.

DSC00255

I can’t decide yet which one I want in the quilt.  Really it’s going to be more like a table topper.

Did you notice that the dotty mittens have a fat thumb?

At first glance I couldn’t figure out why because I had sewn them the same as the snowflake mittens. . .so I thought.

DSC00256

Take a closer look.

I sewed that little thumb piece backwards on the dotty pair.  But I decided in honor of chubby fingers, (myself being one of those) I would leave it.  At least you can still tell they are mittens.

DSC00257

DSC00258

Lori had a sewing instagram retreat last night that I just read about this morning.  She soon will be introducing block 9.  Boy, I’d best get crackin!!

I’ve got plenty of reds. . .

DSC00260

Pretty pinks and greens. . .

DSC00261

Beautiful blues and a couple pops of yellow. . .

DSC00262

And look at all of these fun dots.  Our quilt guild did a dotty exchange years ago and I haven’t done anything with them yet.

DSC00264

But what this color lovin gal is lacking in is background fabrics.

I may have to take a trip to our local quilt shop tomorrow.

If you want to join in this fun sew along it’s not too late.  Just hop over to Lori’s

Instagram.

You do need her book for some of the blocks, but the free ones are super cute if you only wanted to make a few!

hugs,

Jann

29 comments

Salmagundi said...

Loving it!! I vote for the chubby thumbs in honor of all of us that can't text with our fat little thumbs. So there, skinny little teenager - I'm not the only one.
Sally

Liz said...

You are always so inspiring! I think I have some extra hexagons to start a table runner. Can't wait to see what you do with the quilt blocks!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

so cute, I love it! My mother is a big quilter....She has made some beautiful quilts!

Kim said...

What a great project! You certainly have been very busy. I can't wait to see the rest! I like the thumbs, too, now your piece will always have a story!!

Junkchiccottage said...

What a beautiful and cute project. Jann I wish I had just a little of your talent. This is going to be so great. Enjoy your creativity and talents.
Kris

Linda W. said...

How fun! Those quilt blocks are adorable. Growing up, I had a neighbor lady that was an expert quilter. She taught me a few things, but I haven't sewed in years. I enjoyed this post.

Susie said...

Jann, You are very talented. I love all your quilt squares. I think it must have been nice meeting your quilting friends. My aunt Helen was a very good quilter...she did it all by hand. Blessings for a wonderful fun week. xoxo,Susie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh, what fun quilt squares you've created, Jann! And your mittens with the fat thumbs will be a topic of conversation at your table.

NanaDiana said...

Those are all darling, Jann. I like all of them including the fat thumb jobbie! lol I really LOVE the tree!!! Happy stitching. xo Diana

Debbie said...

I love what you're creating! My favorite so far is that adorable little cottage with the 2 trees...how special. I can't wait to see the finished piece.
xo
Debbie
===^..^===

Rita C at Panoply said...

Love your quilting creativity, Jann, fat thumbs and all. I sure don't have the patience for quilting, but love seeing your works. So festive and fun!

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Very creative Jann, and the thumbs are adorable but my favorite is the cottage and trees.

Quilting is something I've always wished I could do, but don't have the patience. I'm more of an immediate gratification girl.

Deanies Stash said...

These are adorable. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Winnie said...

What a great and fun project Jann.
I love the colors and the spirit.
I can't wait to see the quilt!!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a fun project, Jann! I love the cute blocks and the happy colors. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

wishing i could join in -- I need a sewing machine - wink..
a lot of creativeness going on - such a fun project --love the dots..
Hugs

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love your quilt designs so far! Reminds of the crafts I did in the 1980's while living in my farmhouse....so quaint, cozy and colorful!

Diana said...

You are so talented, Jann! Loved watching the project unfold and look forward to seeing the final (beautiful I'm sure) result :)

CD Loken said...

What talent you have, Jann!! I love the fabric you've chosen and can't wait to see the end result!!! Have a great week!!

Rose said...

I can hardly wait to see the finished product! You are so talented. My grandmother was a quilter and was making one for each grandchild. Unfortunately she died before getting mine made. I would have loved to have had her special made one for me.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I've never tried quilting, but all those lovely fabrics lined up and ready to go are very enticing.

A Joyful Cottage said...

These blocks are so cute, Jann. I love how you dressed up the gingerbread man. I like all your various fabrics. It's fun for me to see the fabric collections of other quilters. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Nancy

Betty said...

I love the quilt blocks, so pretty.

farmhouse-story said...

adorable blocks, jann! makes me want to quilt, again:)

bj said...

O, Jann, I so envy your sewing talent....this is going to be sooo cute when finished...I want to make one but have no idea how...*heavy sigh....

Anonymous said...

Boy you have been busy! I love everything but block two is my favorite. I love the colors that you chose for the Christmas tree! Your mittens look cute too!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Darling!

Dana Bishop said...

So I will never be a quilter, though I would love to be that skilled. I do a modest amount of sewing {limited to home fashion}. I love your squares. I'm glad you decided to participate... you are gifted at pulling colors together. To me, that is what defines a gifted quilter.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

You are so talented, Jann! Your quilting projects are always so much fun:)Love that hexagonal table runner...always so beautiful! Happy quilting~hugs, Poppy

Instagram