Missing Green. . .

Hello my friends,
right about now I find myself really missing green!
 
I do pretty good at enjoying the beauty of our Utah winters, but as the end of February draws near I find myself
 hankering for some green. :)
 
To spend a few hours surrounded by green trees. . .what delight that would bring!
 
 
 
To see life peeking up through the frozen ground,

 
a patch of moss,
(many of you know my love for moss)



 
even lichen growing on a tree.  Yup, I'm longing for some green!

 
Oh to hike along a wooded trail.
 
 
And spy fronds of ferns.  A heavenly day indeed!

 
 
 
It won't be happening for a while, so until then I'll enjoy a bit of green in my cooking.
 
This recipe for green rice is so delicious and easy to make!
It's the perfect side dish for a St. Patty's Day dinner.
 
 



Green Rice
 
4 c. cooked rice,
1 8 oz. jar cheese whiz
1 cube butter
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
3/4 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped celery
2 pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli
 
Add cheese whiz to hot cooked rice.  Sauté onions and celery in butter.  Cook broccoli and drain.  Combine all ingredients and stir well.  Bake in buttered covered casserole at 350 degrees for 1 hr.

And while I'm eating green I'll remind myself that it won't be long before I will be harvesting lettuce in my garden. . .
 


And my own fern fronds will be popping up.
oh happy day!!
 
 
 
Don't you agree that life is so much better with a little bit of green?
Hurry Spring!!!
 
hugs,
Jann

14 comments

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Beautiful photos!! We too have been having unseasonably warm weather but Winter will be returning next week!! I am trying not to think too much about Spring because i know the reality of it is that it is at least a good 2 months away...
Hugs,
Deb

Stacey said...

Life is SO much better with green. It just makes me smile and warms my heart. Now I'll confess to you that our trees are budding out and there's moss everywhere because we've had plenty of moisture. I love Texas because we don't have much winter. :)

Eilis@MyHeartLivesHere said...

Yes, I am as ready as you are for spring to really be here! I am seeing signs of it around and that makes me happy. Beautiful photos.

Jeanie said...

Spring green will be here before we know it! Your green rice looks very tasty. I shudder to say I saw a green shoot of daffodil pop up -- too early for Michigan; we've been unseasonably warm. But it's a reminder!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Here in the South we have greened up too early and fear a frost will kill everything. Oh I love some green rice! Hang in there, Spring will come!

Sandi Magle said...

This is the time of year I go to a green house, just to smell dirt. LOL. So am with you on this post. Although with the crazy warm temperatures we have in Chicagoland and rain today-we may have green tomorrow. Trees are budding only to be frozen next week. Crazy. With you on this post though, for sure, Sandi

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I do like green better than brown and your pictures are so enticing! I could use a little more yellow too.....sun!!!

Art and Sand said...

We have plenty of green in the garden. I'm missing flowers!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am longing for green too! We have had a few relatively warm days and I got out in the yard to clean up for Spring. The trees are budding, the hydrangeas are budding and I am worried. It is only Feb. and we are sure to have another freeze which could kill everything:( This week we are to have record breaking temps (in the 70's)!!!! It is crazy for Feb. in Pa.!

Rose L said...

Luckily we here always have green with the fir trees. I am glad to not have white anymore and snow to be in the past now. We never usually get it but this past season it besieged us! I look forward to hopefully going for walks uninhibited by bad weather and see beauty of nature.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Great photo's Jann. We have lots of green here with all the rain we have been having.
I am so enjoying all the rain we have received and we still have a couple more months of rain. All of my Spring flowers are blooming early.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Hugs,
Mary

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

The images of green look so good! We're in meltdown here and the snow is quickly disappearing. It's kind of a big tease though because we'll be getting more snow before long. I have a recipe for a similar casserole- it's been a long time since I've had that.

Connie said...

Jann, your photos are wonderful . . . I know that all of us living in winter weather are dreaming of green right along with you. Our snow is starting to melt . . . at a very slow rate, but that's okay. We have had a few days where the temperature has reached 40 degrees and back to below freezing at night, so melting is a slow process. It does give the heart hope, though . . . Keep dreaming!
Connie :)

Anonymous said...

That Dutch theme is so lovely. That book :Tulip Time" looks like an old book. Enjoy your Dutch theme, I know I have.
Marilyn

Instagram