Trim a Vine. . .Build a Nest

Hello my friends,
last year I shared a Spring Tablescape with a nest I made from the trimmings of my Trumpet Vine. 

 
 

Spring clean up is just around the c
orner.  Instead of tossing those vine trimmings into the garbage, why not make a nest?
 
This nest is huge, and there's a reason for that.  :)  But you can make them any size you'd like.
 
I started by forming the dried vines into a circle.  If you do this shortly after trimming the vines, they will be pliable and easy to form into any size.  The reason why my nest turned out so big is that I let mine sit a week or so before I was able to make my nest.  They had dried out and if I tried to form them into a smaller nest they would break.
 
 
Whenever you start a new piece of vine just tie them together with bits of jute twine.  After I formed the nest I cut a circle out of chicken wire for the bottom.  I tied it on with jute as well.
 
Now, this is when the fun begins!  Start tucking bits and bobs into the vines.  I pulled from my scrapbooking fibers and my friend, Joanne shared a lot of hers.  Wrap, tie, just have fun.  Next I stuck in feathers here and there.
  
 
 
Keep adding all types of fibers, millinery flowers,

 
even bits of lace!  Remember, you are building a nest.  Think of a bird and how it gathers all kinds of trinkets offered by nature and humans to build their nests.
 
 
Just keep playing until you get the look you want.  Afterwards I covered some large wooden ages I had with moss.  A pretty bird seems to be enjoying her new nest!
 



I had a couple of small nests that I had purchased so I dolled them up using the same method.  You could easily make small ones with fresh vines.
 


 
The possibilities are endless!  There is still snow on the ground here, so until I am able to get into the garden I'll just be
NESTING!
 
hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
Monday Social
 


24 comments

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Such a wonderful idea, Jann! Now I'm inspired to make a nest for our front porch, filled with garden gatherings. (I always make Winter and Christmas 'garden gatherings' for the porch, but haven't thought to do it in the Springtime, too.) As we wait for Springtime days, nesting inside is always a sweet blessing! ♡

Susie said...

Jann, I love the nest...I have been wanting to make some for a spring décor on the mantle...this is a great idea...hope you don't mind me coping it. :):) Blessings for a fun weekend. xoxo, Susie

Rose L said...

Cute idea! I have seen small nests in trees after fall exposes them and wish I could get a few!

Susan Freeman said...

Charming!!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Jeanie said...

I'm a sucker for birds nests so of course I love this. And it really is beautiful. Outstanding instructions too, Jann!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

This is adorable!! You're so clever, I have never thought to save my vine trimmings for a craft!

Connie said...

Your nest is delightful . . . I planted two trumpet vines on this property, but they are still very small. I know that when they get those root established they will grow like crazy. I'm hoping that they will draw in some hummingbirds. I do have grape vines though . . . your nest idea is wonderful and just in time for a sweet Spring display :)
I love visiting your blog :)
Connie

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

You are crazy creative!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love this idea! It looks vintage-y and so quaint with the pretty bird.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Sweet nests! I saw an idea on Pinterest where they used a huge nest in the base of a concrete urn as a base for an outdoor arrangement, so if you've still got lots of dried vine left......happy nesting!

Art and Sand said...

Well this gives me an idea!

I have an old grapevine wreath and some chicken wire. Who knows what I might create today!!!

Kim said...

May I come and nest at your home....please?? What a beautiful idea. Love all the pretty bits and bobs you have used to fashion your pretty nests. Just gorgeous!!

Sarah said...

Nesting ~ my favorite passtime. Pretty little nest, Jann.
Enjoy your nesting time.

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I love all the bits and bobs you added!

Sandi Magle said...

Very sweet! When I did floral design, we were blessed with fresh spanish moss at all times. And I used twist a bunch of it into a long roll with ribbons, and bits of this and that
left behind from other projects, and it always made sweet little nests. Love this visual for your readers, so simple and Spring! Sandi

Snap said...

Jann, what fun! I love your nests. Thanks for the "how-to"!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love this especially the use of lace!! So pretty!! Thanks so much for visiting as much as you do!!
Hugs,
Deb

Katie Mansfield said...

This is darling. How fun. I can't wait to make one out of some vines. Thanks for sharing at Monday Social.

Junkchiccottage said...

Very creative and cute Jann. Happy New Week.
Kris

hula-la said...

Well, I'm just gonna give this a try! I love it...Thanks for sharing! Aloha!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I have a large trumpet vine (and a bunch of little seedlings too)and have to trim it every year. I never thought of using it just like you would grapevine. Here's a tip. I used to make baskets with reeds. You just soak the reeds in Hot/warm water for a little while and the reeds are pliable. I am sure that will work with the trumpet vine as well. I think about 1/2 hour or so of soaking was all it took to soften. Then bend in into your shape and let it dry (a couple hours or overnight).
Love your blog! -Mary M.

Jean Tuthill said...

I love this idea and will definitely try it! I usually do some decorating with birds and nests in the Spring...this is right up my alley. Love it! thanks for the idea, Jan!

Julie@Cut Off in the Keweenaw said...

So creative! I'm in love with that bird. You have my permission to tell him to fly to my house!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

For some reason, I love decorating with birds and your nest is adorable!

Instagram