Update a Lamp with a New Wallpaper Shade

 

Hi my friends, today I am sharing a fun redo with you by Merri.  I do not receive any compensation for this, but if I like an article she sends me I am happy to share it with my readers.

By Merri Cvetan
 
 
Wallpaper has decorated homes for 300 years, and it’s been in and out of fashion too many times to count. Today, homeowners have lots of pattern and color options to choose from. I like to take advantage of the "wow" factor that wallpaper can give a room. A big, bold print in a powder room is unexpected, thus perfect in a small space. I also like to use wallpaper in other nontraditional places, like the celling in a nursery or little girl’s room.


However, wallpaper is a big commitment. If you’re not ready to take the plunge, try a small dose. For instance, it’s perfect on a lamp shade.
 

 
The corner of this living room needed color to give it some life. The white lamppost-style ceramic lamp is basic and goes with anything, but the neutral grey shade is really quite dull and boring.

 
I looked for blue wallpaper to coordinate with the color of the chair. I also wanted an abstract, curvilinear pattern since the drum shade is slightly angled at the top. It’s best to avoid a plaid or stripe pattern. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to get it straight! 
 


Cut a length of wallpaper to fit around the shade. Using a hot glue gun, attach one edge of the paper to the shade. It’s an easy step, but you might want to get someone to hold the edges down to help you get started. I was reminded of the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy was hanging wallpaper in her bedroom and it kept rolling up on her. Hilarious! Once you have the first side down, glue the other side, overlapping the edges.


Trim off the excess paper at the top and bottom, but leave about an inch of overhang. Then, cut the paper to the edge of the shade, creating "tabs" about every inch or so.








Glue each tab to the shade with hot glue. You can use any craft glue, but hot glue dries the quickest. Warning: If you’re using hot glue, you can burn your fingers through the paper, so be careful.


Give the inside of the shade a nice, professional finish by covering the cut, glued tabs with ribbon.

That’s it, unless you want to embellish the front with additional trim or ribbon as well. Don’t be surprised if you suddenly get the urge to wallpaper a whole room!


I hope you enjoyed this article by Merri!  I myself would love to try it!  I have covered lamp shades with bits of lace and rosette flowers made from drop cloth, but have yet to do this.
 
Based in Wisconsin, interior designer Merri Cvetan heads up the MEC Design Studio. Merri is also an avid DIY crafter and often focuses on finding unique uses for everyday design materials, such as wallpaper. Merri writes about her creations for The Home Depot. If you are planning a wallpaper-inspired lamp, you can find a large number of wallpaper patterns available on the Home Depot website.
 
 

17 comments

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Super cute transformation, I love it!!

Junkchiccottage said...

SO cool Jann. I love this.
Kris

Jeanie said...

Very cool. It really looks terrific!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

What a cute idea! You found a perfect pattern to use too!

French pretties said...

Great colour palette and successful transformation. xo, Monika

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, it turned out beautiful! Love the color. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Just what we need for a pick-me-up change in the middle of winter's drudgery.

Connie said...

What a smart idea :)
It turned out beautiful!

Rose L said...

What a great idea! I may get brave enough to try it!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Very pretty! I love the light blue paper you used that matches the chair so well.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very sweet! I just love unique lampshades! This looks very easy too.

Debby Ray said...

As much as I love wallpaper, you'd think that I would have covered a lampshade or two.....nope! Now I have used fabric but not wallpaper. This is adorable and thank you for the tutorial!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I have always liked wallpaper and I've used it in all kinds of ways. I don't think I have ever done a lampshade but I've done canisters, flower pots, etc. The lampshade is really pretty.

Blessings,
Sandi

Unknown said...

So pretty, Jann! Love the color you chose!

Katie Mansfield said...

What a great idea. It looks terrible.

Julie@Cut Off in the Keweenaw said...

Perfectly sweet & lovely!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It's great idea!

Instagram