PlacingTiles

Hello my friends,
I have had a bit of fun placing tiles.
 
Last week I headed South to get more items for our next estate sale.  We decided that we would do something fun
before getting to work.
 
We started with this.
 
 
Lots of pretty pieces of broken glass.  When we've done tile projects before we have placed the dishes in a towel and broke them with a hammer.  We found some tile cutters in Aunt Bunnies estate.  They were great for cutting perfect pieces!

 
They remind me of beach glass.
 
We also used these.  Old shovels and tile adhesive, again from Bunnies estate,
 
 
 
We spread the adhesive on with a knife and started
 placing tiles.
 
 
Wipe off any adhesive that's on the tiles, or that is sticking up high.  You want to leave room for the grout.

 
I chose a round shovel and Julie and Dolly chose a square one.

 
We let them dry outside over night.  The next morning we spread a layer of white grout over the entire shovel.
 
 
Dolly is using a wet sponge to wipe off the excess.

 
Then we let them dry over night again.
 
We had an extra shovel so I made one for another sister.
 
 
I've placed mine out on our front porch. 
 
 
I've been debating as to whether or not I want to add some ribbon or something fun hanging on it.

 
 
It makes me smile each time I walk up to the front door.
 
I love placing tiles in more ways than one.  I play Words on my phone with a few of my blog friends.  It's another fun way to connect with them.  Some of them are so good at placing tiles!  :)
 
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:
 
 

 

24 comments

Susie said...

Jann, I love it !!! You ladies are so darn clever. That would be cute hanging on the side of a shed also. Blessings,,xoxo, Susie

Louca por porcelana said...

Pretty!You did a great work!Beautiful in your porch,I want one like it!!!Hugs,have a nice weekend!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

The shovels are so unique. I've seen lots of mosaic tiles done, but never on shovels and such. Great idea.

Stacey said...

I'd love to try this and you make it look very easy. I've always thought broken pieces of china are beautiful on their own. :)

Sarah said...

Fun project! I've never tried this craft, but thought about it with some broken dishes that I saved. Finally tossed them. '-( I do have a favorite frame from MacKenzie-Childs that uses chards of MacK-C dishes in this manner. I've seen mirror frames done this way too.

NanaDiana said...

What fun! I have not done anything with tile in years and years!!! It makes me want to get my hands all grouted up again. That is a really cute idea...as long as a hubby doesn't try to use it for digging! xo Diana

Cynthia said...

That's a pretty shovel! Great idea for using up broken china.

Connie said...

Jann, you truly surprised me with this idea . . . you are so clever. I love unique especially when it is for the garden :)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love this....a lot!! What a cute idea. I have been saving broken dishes for a while in case I found something cute to make with them. Found it!!

Jeanie said...

Those are really cute. I wish I'd seen that before I tossed some old pieces!

Melissa said...

That's the prettiest shovel I've ever seen! What a clever way to use old broken dishes. I've seen this kind of thing on stepping stone and vases, but never a shovel.

Carol said...

I love that! I would never have thought to do that. I would like to do that for a wall hanging in a way. I might have to try it.

Happy@Home said...

Now that is just plain adorable. You gals are so clever. I was wondering what you were up to when I saw all of those broken plates. I predict there will be many smiles as people arrive at your door.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

What a wonderful looking shovel - I love it. I used to do a lot of crafts and now I do nothing, shame on me. It looks so good on your front porch.

Have a great week Jann and good luck on your Estate Sale.

Hugs,
Mary

Kim said...

Oh, it makes my li'l ole heart sing to see all those pretty broken pieces of china. Love how you covered you old shovel with these pretty pieces. What a lovely addition to your front door, Jann.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Oh my! That is way too cute for words! I had a friend who did her backsplash in the kitchen in broken china. I love it. Especially the little handle that stuck out from the wall. ~grin~
Enjoy my crafty friend!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Sandi Magle said...

That's a really cute project, I have buckets of pieces. Can't wait to get outside and do some mosaic pieces. And I'm grinning at your gorgeous shovels. Thanks for sharing, Sandi

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, how cute these shovels turned out. Oh girl, when I saw those blue and white broken dishes my heart almost stopped! I love me some dishes period but blue and white....and broke! LOL! I do love how they turned out. So smart! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

My thrift store addiction said...

I always love the look of mosaics, but I have to confess it's not my favorite craft to do! Your shovel is just darling! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinned!

Rose L said...

I NEVER would have thought of doing that to a shovel!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a wonderful project, Jann. I can think of so many objects that can be beautified this way!

Bernideen said...

How darling! But heavier I am sure!

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

I love your shovel! What a great idea.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Really cute, Jann. How fun!

Instagram