Sweet Dreams!


Hello my friends, today I am sharing a post by Merri, an interior designer.  I do not receive any compensation, but I think this is a fun project that my readers will enjoy.




Sweet Dreams: DIY Travel Memories Nightstand


By Merri Cvetan

 




 
It doesn’t matter if you travel once a year or once a decadethe memories you make while away from home are important. Relive those moments by keeping photos and souvenirs nearby. Instead of displaying your souvenirs in the living room, there are plenty of travel-inspired decorating ideas for your bedroom. Try creating a little shrine to your travels next to your bed.

Before you start, envision your final project. What do your vacation memories look like? Time spent relaxing on the beach, riding amusement park rides with the kids or dashing from museum to museum in a big city? I prefer the latter. I love big cities, especially old, historic ones with lots of museums, so I decided to go with a New York City-themed nightstand.


 
Before you start, envision your final project. What do your vacation memories look like? Time spent relaxing on the beach, riding amusement park rides with the kids or dashing from museum to museum in a big city? I prefer the latter. I love big cities, especially old, historic ones with lots of museums, so I decided to go with a New York City-themed nightstand.

 
 
I found a little nightstand at a resale shop. It’s in good condition, but a little dated. (Think country decor from the 80s!) I planned to cover the solid panel door with a map.

After gently sanding the old finish, I gave the nightstand three coats of a pretty turquoise blue. I chose a satin finish. You can also use semi-gloss, but it’s important to note that a shinier finish (like a gloss) tends to highlight flaws. I didn’t paint the front of the door since I planned to cover it up in a different way.
 

New York is one of my favorite cities. I love the hustle and bustle, the theaters on Broadway, the shopping and museums. I cut an atlas map of the city boroughs to fit the front panel of the door. A map of the subway system or Central Park would be fun alternatives, too.



I applied the map onto the door with a decoupage technique, using my fingers to smooth out the bubbles. Once the top coat was dry, most of the remaining bubbles disappeared.

I lucked out when I found a compass cabinet knob. How appropriate!
 


I pinned photos of special buildings and parts of the city on the wall. I plan to make it a revolving display by swapping out the pictures or postcards every month. On top of the nightstand, I displayed my collection of memorabilia, including Empire State Building souvenirs and a key chainbut you can gather any items that remind you of your trip or are important to you.



Now every morning, I can wake up thinking about my time in the Big Apple. This is the perfect way to keep your vacation memories alive!


 
Merri Cvetan is a crafty interior designer who likes to create beautiful one-of-kind pieces and write about them for The Home Depot. She provides step-by-step instructions on everything from spicing up your nightstand to creating your own backsplash. If you are looking for that special nightstand to jazz up your bedroom, visit The Home Depot.


hugs,
Jann

 
 
 

8 comments

Anonymous said...

Jann, what a beautiful bedside table. I love the map and the knob!! My grandson loves maps. Maybe when he is older, I can do this.

Louca por porcelana said...

Cute!Good idea.Thanks for sharing .Have a lovely day,Jann!Maristella.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I do love the map on furniture idea that I have seen all over the web. This one is different and unique. Thanks for sharing!

Creations By Cindy said...

Such cute ideas! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

pembrokeshire lass said...

What a good idea. I love the idea of using the map, too. Now I'm back blogging I can see that my ideas are going to change again!g

Sarah said...

Cute idea! Love the compass knob!

Jeanie said...

This is super fun and a great idea! I'm so glad you shared it with us!

Curtains in My Tree said...


I love New York City also and just came back from my third trip there.
I just posted a few pictures
I love it so much I want to go every year, however my friend I stay with has trips planned out of the country for next 3 years boo hoo
I may fly in by myself and stay in the city

Instagram